Nexus 10 locking up and freezing,,,,, not sure what to do ???

DatDroid

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I was going to get one of these for the holidays, but now I'm reconsidering that. I will get it though if you guys are sure it's a software and not hardware problem,but I fear it may be a graphics hardware problem because the Nexus 10 has only a single core GPU, if I am correct?

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect: The Nexus 10 is using a quad-core Mali T604 as its GPU. It's using a dual-core A15 ARM processor.

It's been confirmed that it's a software issue with Jelly Bean (4.2) and will be corrected in time. I rarely, if ever, use "location-based" services anyways. It won't impede me in any way, shape, or form.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I rarely get freezes or reboots. The "uptime" in setting > status is 376 hours. I'd get an exchange if anyone is having that many issues.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I was going to get one of these for the holidays, but now I'm reconsidering that. I will get it though if you guys are sure it's a software and not hardware problem,but I fear it may be a graphics hardware problem because the Nexus 10 has only a single core GPU, if I am correct?

IMO is has to be software. Read my last post.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Now my Xoom on the other hand

7e6u9eha.jpg

Lol

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. You are the first person I've heard of that disabling Location Services didn't help.

So perhaps yours is hardware related.

Personally I went from 3-5 reboots a day to zero. Not one since I disabled it. (And I still use live wallpapers and have 5 HD Widgets widgets.

Semi official word from Google says Computer World. http://www.androidauthority.com/android-4-2-random-reboots-getting-google-fix-soon-136835/

I have disabled locked screen widgets and so far today no reboots. I am hoping, but others have said even disabling those has only helped temporarily. Then again my issue is freezing up more than rebooting though that has happened too.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

elscott2

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. I've had the tablet for almost two weeks. I called today to return before the remorse period is over.

Its too bad though. I liked the tablet but I just don't want to gamble on a hope that an update fixes this issue.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm still bummed I had to send my Nexus 10 back for refund,,,, I am missing it.

Damn Google,,,, they put out a great tablet but has a fatal flaw.

I really want to repurchase the Nexus 10 but not till they fix the freeze lock-up issue.

Cheers
Davyo

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm still bummed I had to send my Nexus 10 back for refund,,,, I am missing it.

Damn Google,,,, they put out a great tablet but has a fatal flaw.

I really want to repurchase the Nexus 10 but not till they fix the freeze lock-up issue.

Cheers
Davyo
Hardly a fatal flaw. Since I implemented the fix I have not had on lock up or reboot.

The fix of course is just to turn off location services. Since you said you were returning your Nexus 10 to get an iPad, which doesn't have GPS anyways, what are you really missing out on?

Until the next update you leave GPS off when you don't need it. After the next update you leave it on all the time. That's still better than the iPad that will never have GPS. Again hardly a "fatal flaw"

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed,,,, perhaps my wording of fatal flaw was a bit harsh,,, but with that being said I had read complaints about the Nexus 10 just becoming completely un-responsive and in those examples they had the same issues to start out with that I started having.

I do plan on buying another Nexus 10,,, but only after it looks like the bugs have been clearly fixed.

Cheers
Davyo

Leviathan10000

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i replaced the first nexus 10 i got and called google today about the reboots they started getting worse but i've noticed that the issues i've been have which have been the lock up and reboots have happened alot when i'm using my blutooth head phones. i turned off location going to see if that works. When i called google this morning i asked about any fix for the issues i was told that they were not aware of any complaints and that they didn't know if there was a fix being worked on all they did was send me rma to send my nexus back and are sending me a replacement.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Agreed,,,, perhaps my wording of fatal flaw was a bit harsh,,, but with that being said I had read complaints about the Nexus 10 just becoming completely un-responsive and in those examples they had the same issues to start out with that I started having.

I do plan on buying another Nexus 10,,, but only after it looks like the bugs have been clearly fixed.

Cheers
Davyo
Fair enough. Let's call it a tragic flaw instead. (Since it is tragic that you and many others have to go without one because of this issue). ;)

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
i replaced the first nexus 10 i got and called google today about the reboots they started getting worse but i've noticed that the issues i've been have which have been the lock up and reboots have happened alot when i'm using my blutooth head phones. i turned off location going to see if that works. When i called google this morning i asked about any fix for the issues i was told that they were not aware of any complaints and that they didn't know if there was a fix being worked on all they did was send me rma to send my nexus back and are sending me a replacement.

I love that when companies deny there is a problem with a product they sell when they know in fact they do have a problem,,,,,,, reminds me of Vizio, they are the worst when it comes to owning a problem with one of their products,, thousands and thousands or reports online and on all the forums and on Amazon about the LED lights failing on ALL their soundbars,, and then when ya call Vizio to see if there is a fix they deny any probelms what-so-ever,,,, very funny to be honest.

Fair enough. Let's call it a tragic flaw instead. (Since it is tragic that you and many others have to go without one because of this issue). ;)

Yep,,, I have returned my share or products over the years but the Nexus 10 was the one that really bummed me out to return,,, I sooo wanted to keep the Nexus.

Cheers
Davyo

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Take in consideration that most of the techs that are at the call centre know next to nothing about any pressing/ongoing issues - Google has stated, as a company, that they're working on a fix (and are aware of it). I've had my Nexus 10 since around 17:00 on Monday - no reboots, no freezing, no lockups. I turned Location Services off first-thing. The only problem I had was that I had to update twice for the Nexus to accept the update fully. I haven't seen any conflicts or lack of functionality due to lack of location services; other than Facebook/Twitter apps being unable to locate me (woo, huge problem - sarcasm ;p .. I never posted my location to begin with).

Leviathan10000

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've tried everything and still keep getting the random reboots and yesterday my table started freezing a lot wasn't having that problem before it's frustrating
this was my first Nexus device and will be my last i sold my samsung galaxy tab 10.1 for this one and it's been nothing but headaches i've already replaced two tabs and i'm on my third becasue google keeps telling me to replace the unit and i asked them about a fix and tech support told me they were not aware of any issues can you believe that BS i'm very dissappointed with this device Samsung built a great tab for google and google messed it up. I really don't know if i can wait for a software fix. Feel like taking the tab and smashing it.

spect2k

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Disabling the location services did nothing to solve the problem for me. Usually locks up, freezes, and reboots when using chrome.

Waiting on a fix. I don't understand those that return such an amazing device over something so minor. When adopting a device early in its life, there are growing pains. Developers are working on it...

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Waiting on a fix. I don't understand those that return such an amazing device over something so minor. When adopting a device early in its life, there are growing pains. Developers are working on it...

Minor, no rebooting 7 or 8 times a day while just browsing the Internet, is just not acceptable. I have own many new products that never had this issue. It was poor testing of 4.2.1 plain and simple.

Also, Google unlike many companies does not yet have a track record that gives people a high level of confidence in a rapid fix. $500 for a rebooting device might be minor to you but I am not willing to bet my $500 at this point. Hopefully they do fix it and if I have not opted to buy a competing product I will give it another go. Till then the ball is in their court.

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing the lock up while browsing in Chrome as well. It seems to happen most often when I open external links from a different app. I uninstalled the updates for Chrome and then disabled location services and it still locks up between 2-5 times a day. So, I've been using Firefox browser, which works fairly well and had a minor hiccup there as well. My last resort is Dolphin browser or another alternative before I pull the plug and send it back.

spect2k

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Minor, no rebooting 7 or 8 times a day while just browsing the Internet, is just not acceptable. I have own many new products that never had this issue. It was poor testing of 4.2.1 plain and simple.

Also, Google unlike many companies does not yet have a track record that gives people a high level of confidence in a rapid fix. $500 for a rebooting device might be minor to you but I am not willing to bet my $500 at this point. Hopefully they do fix it and if I have not opted to buy a competing product I will give it another go. Till then the ball is in their court.

I too have owned many new devices right on release day and had many problems like this. When buying later in its life, I rarely have these kind of problems. As for Google's track record, nexus devices should not be classified in the same breath as Verizon/Motorola/Google devices or at&t/Htc/Google devices, or any other combination. The red tape there is prohibitive which speaks toward the popularity of the nexus 4. I'm not trying to make excuses for Google, but just like I had to take in my brand new car for an ecu update to address issues and concerns in the first year of the new model, I am not surprised to have to receive an update from Google. It's unfortunate, but the alternative is to wait a number of months for the issues to be worked out, just like many people wouldn't buy a new car the year it's being updated. You always have the option to return yours.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruchi Chandel