Nexus 10 locking up and freezing,,,,, not sure what to do ???

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue ?

It happens while I'm browsing, random lockup or freeze on random websites,,, not pushing the Nexus hard at all and keep other apps closed.

When it locks up the Nexus is just totally unresponsive,,,,, the only way to un-freeze it is by powering it off,,,, and even that's a pain as the power button is freezing up as well.

I'm having this issue 2 to 3 times a day,,,,,, I have my ipad sitting right next to my Nexus and I check the same websites on my ipad when the Nexus locks up and my ipad has no issues with the same content at the same time.

I hate to return the Nexus 10 as I really do love it,,,, but the locking up is getting frustrating.

I called Google and they emailed me a return shipping label, just hate to send it back though as it really is a great tablet.

Not sure what to do,,,,, live with this lockup issue or return it.

Sorry for venting.

So,,, anyone else having a lockup issue ?

Cheers
Davyo

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It's a known issue and I read yesterday that Google is already working on a fix for it. I was glad to hear it was a software and not a hardware issue.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm really shocked Google is so quick to swap these. From a customer service perspective its great but it appears to be a software issue. Swapping one bad version of Chrome for the same bad version does nothing.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well heck,,,, if its a known software issue then I wonder if should keep my Nexus and wait/hope for the fix.

I wonder why the person at Google didn't mention this to me when I called to set up the return,,,,,, I clearly told him the reason for the return was because of the freezing up issue,,,,,,,, the Google rep made no mention or comment of a software fix at all.

Cheers
Davyo

srosencrans

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I hope there is a fix coming soon. Except for this, I really love my Nexus 10, when it works it works amazingly well, fast and the screen is gorgeous. Mine seems to be totally random, sometimes Chrome, sometimes Google+, sometimes just on the home screen.

It's a known issue and I read yesterday that Google is already working on a fix for it. I was glad to hear it was a software and not a hardware issue.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned in another thread that this has happened to me but only 2-3 times since I got it on the 23rd. I think there is something else going , because mine isn't anywhere near as bad as you guys are describing....

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The number of reboots will depend somewhat on the apps you have installed. For example, HD Widgets is/was known to cause regular reboots. Here's a good article about the reboot issue: Android 4.2 random reboots: What's going on? | Computerworld Blogs

I have almost no apps or games installed on my Nexus 10,,, I use it strictly for web browsing and am getting the lockups.

I think I will be shipping my Nexus 10 back tonight,,,, I am very disappointed with the freezing issue,,,, never had these problems with my iPads.

I really wanted to replace my iPads with the Nexus like I replaced my iPhone 5 for the Note 2,,,, but sadly that's not the case,,, besides the lockup issue I have been getting some recent lag on my Nexus as well,,,,,, I'm done,,,,,, sticking with my iPads.

Cheers
Davyo

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The number of reboots will depend somewhat on the apps you have installed. For example, HD Widgets is/was known to cause regular reboots. Here's a good article about the reboot issue: Android 4.2 random reboots: What's going on? | Computerworld Blogs
Turning of location access, as suggested in that article, appears to have completely solved my issues. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have almost no apps or games installed on my Nexus 10,,, I use it strictly for web browsing and am getting the lockups.

I think I will be shipping my Nexus 10 back tonight,,,, I am very disappointed with the freezing issue,,,, never had these problems with my iPads.

I really wanted to replace my iPads with the Nexus like I replaced my iPhone 5 for the Note 2,,,, but sadly that's not the case,,, besides the lockup issue I have been getting some recent lag on my Nexus as well,,,,,, I'm done,,,,,, sticking with my iPads.

Cheers
Davyo

Did you try turning off your location access?

Chicho1970

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I had similar issues I did a hard reset and all though it hasn't gotten rid of the reboots completely it did help I have less reboots and try using a different browser like dolphin

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Did you try turning off your location access?

Nope,,,, did not try that,,,, but personally I don't think that should be something one should have to do to make a brand new $400.00 tablet work properly without any glitches or issues.

Anyhow,,,, doesn't matter now as I already shipped the Nexus10 back to Google for a refund,,,,, I had considered living with the lockups and freezes but then I started thinking about down the road 6 months from now if it just froze up and never came back to life,,,, I would then be the owner of a $400.00 paperweight,,,, Im not willing to take that chance.

Too bad cuz I really really did love the Nexus 10,,,, as soon as my refund post's to my account I will go pick up the ipad 4 to upgrade from my current ipad 2.

Cheers
Davyo

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope,,,, did not try that,,,, but personally I don't think that should be something one should have to do to make a brand new $400.00 tablet work properly without any glitches or issues.

Anyhow,,,, doesn't matter now as I already shipped the Nexus10 back to Google for a refund,,,,, I had considered living with the lockups and freezes but then I started thinking about down the road 6 months from now if it just froze up and never came back to life,,,, I would then be the owner of a $400.00 paperweight,,,, Im not willing to take that chance.

Too bad cuz I really really did love the Nexus 10,,,, as soon as my refund post's to my account I will go pick up the ipad 4 to upgrade from my current ipad 2.

Cheers
Davyo

Well of course I agree you shouldn't have to do that. I was just offering you the solution to a known issue that Google has already said will be fixed in the next update. As with any device bugs get uncovered, bugs get fixed. But if you are too discouraged by your experience to use a Nexus 10 anymore that is understandable too.

BTW 36 of heavy usage and zero reboots for me. Looks like the issue is 100% resolved by temporarily turning off location access.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I am having this same issue. Tonight I was not even able to power it off. It sat about 5 minutes and then started working again. It is very annoying. I am going to try turning off the location service. I did contact Google and they sent me an RMA with a return label. I am hoping I can keep the Nexus 10, but the support person I talked with did not give me hope of a fix anytime soon. They just dropped 4.2.1 and this support issue has been reported since release in great volume according to the support person.

If push comes to shove I will just return it and then pick up an iPad 4 though I really want to keep the Nexus 10.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If push comes to shove I will just return it and then pick up an iPad 4 though I really want to keep the Nexus 10.

Yep,,,, returning my Nexus 10 was not what I wanted to do,,,,, it truly is a great tablet but the fear of it dying on me after my return window had closed was a chance I did not want to take,,,, an ipad 4 is now on my shopping list.

Perhaps I will repurchase the Nexus 10 later down the road after the bugs are worked out.

Cheers
Davyo

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Happens that I get a freeze up a few times a day. I don't want to return my Nexus 10 either and I sure don't want an IPad. Google should not put their customers into such a position. Very embarrassing now, 2 or 3 times I have been showing something on my N10 to a friend and it freezes.

I think it is mostly Chrome related but not exclusively.

There is a community of people all in the same boat. We should band together,

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Happens that I get a freeze up a few times a day. I don't want to return my Nexus 10 either and I sure don't want an IPad. Google should not put their customers into such a position. Very embarrassing now, 2 or 3 times I have been showing something on my N10 to a friend and it freezes.

I think it is mostly Chrome related but not exclusively.

There is a community of people all in the same boat. We should band together,

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Did you disable location services?

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've done a reset, I've made sure location services are turned off, I didn't install any live wallpaper or HD Widgets... All of these things have been saved to possible be the problem. Well I am still having it freeze up and it seems now its worse than before. Like everyone else I want to keep this tablet. However, I don't know Google/Samsung's track record on fixing issues like this. Is it software is it hardware? This has all but killed the user experience for me. I just got an RMA and now I am really just debating rather to actually pull the trigger and box it up for a return. I love the wide screen aspect, the front facing speakers... all these things make it superior to the iPad. But I do know iPads are damn reliable! So, I am feeling like I am in a dilemma.

:-\

ljnaum

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow and I thought I was the only one. I had really high hopes for this and I thought I was finally going to make the switch from apple but it still does not run as smooth as iPads. I don't want an ipad but I feel like I'm forced too due to the lag on my N10.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I've done a reset, I've made sure location services are turned off, I didn't install any live wallpaper or HD Widgets... All of these things have been saved to possible be the problem. Well I am still having it freeze up and it seems now its worse than before. Like everyone else I want to keep this tablet. However, I don't know Google/Samsung's track record on fixing issues like this. Is it software is it hardware? This has all but killed the user experience for me. I just got an RMA and now I am really just debating rather to actually pull the trigger and box it up for a return. I love the wide screen aspect, the front facing speakers... all these things make it superior to the iPad. But I do know iPads are damn reliable! So, I am feeling like I am in a dilemma.

:-\
Interesting. You are the first person I've heard of that disabling Location Services didn't help.

So perhaps yours is hardware related.

Personally I went from 3-5 reboots a day to zero. Not one since I disabled it. (And I still use live wallpapers and have 5 HD Widgets widgets.