Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By indianajonze
  • 1 Post By davrow
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Recovery Apps (esp. CWM vs. TWRP) opinions desired

Are there pros and cons to ClockWorkMod Touch Recovery (CWM) and TeamWin Recovery Platform (TWRP) - or is it just a preference thing?

Does either work better than the other on the Nexus 10 currently?

Are there other well regarded options?

Thanks

Default Re: Recovery Apps (esp. CWM vs. TWRP) opinions desired

both generally do the same thing. visually, twrp to me looks like it was designed by monkeys. visually stupid and totally unappealing. also it does not work as well as rom manager, which to me is huge. you can do the same thing as rom manager within twrp, but rom manager is what I use.

cwm on the other hand is very elegant and works great with rom manager. BIG downside now is that the current version (6.0.1.9) crashes every 20 seconds on the dot when in recovery mode. clearly not ideal. there is a hacked version that is ok to use, but hacked versions of hacking software are not my cup of tea

i should note that many people view twrp as the more powerful software, but my experience has been that they both do the same thing, its just that cwm is far more elegant. plus i'm used to it
    Nexus 5!
    The path to enlightenment begins with an unlocked bootloader...

twitter.com/indianajonze

I don't have the Nexus 10 but just giving my opinion of the two recoveries being used on 4 different devices I've owned.....

I like TWRP the best. It seems to perform much better, the write/read times seem faster. Its easy to theme for those into that. Also it broke the mold and got away from the same way that CWM has done things for a few years now.

ROM Manager, I won't even consider in this group. I've used it too many times and its just caused too many headaches on my devices.. Losing recoveries and other things and I consider myself a very well educated flasher that knows how to maintain and set things up but ROM Manager always seems to throw a wrench in there when you least expect it

If I was to consider using a 3rd party app that is tied to my custom recovery and provides latest ROM updates and downloads then why not give Goo Manager a test drive ?
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I don't have the Nexus 10 but just giving my opinion of the two recoveries being used on 4 different devices I've owned.....

I like TWRP the best. It seems to perform much better, the write/read times seem faster. Its easy to theme for those into that. Also it broke the mold and got away from the same way that CWM has done things for a few years now.

ROM Manager, I won't even consider in this group. I've used it too many times and its just caused too many headaches on my devices.. Losing recoveries and other things and I consider myself a very well educated flasher that knows how to maintain and set things up but ROM Manager always seems to throw a wrench in there when you least expect it

If I was to consider using a 3rd party app that is tied to my custom recovery and provides latest ROM updates and downloads then why not give Goo Manager a test drive ?
    fair enough. i can't disagree with anything you've said. for whatever reason though, through all my flashing, i keep going back to cwm. it's never let me down, and i guess i'm a creature of habit
    Nexus 5!
    The path to enlightenment begins with an unlocked bootloader...

twitter.com/indianajonze
    Paul627g likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajonze View Post
    fair enough. i can't disagree with anything you've said. for whatever reason though, through all my flashing, i keep going back to cwm. it's never let me down, and i guess i'm a creature of habit
    Well said.. I find nothing wrong with CWM, I swore by it as everyone else did. Once TWRP came out I just stuck by it and never looked back. Both due basically the same things and achieve what we need in the end. Both have top notch support from the developers and continue to push new ideas into what can be done from within a custom recovery.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks indianajonze and Paul627g, that is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear. Two people who each use and prefer one of the apps, but basically think either does the job.

Now I just need to select one on personal taste and not worry I've selected the wrong one. :-)
    gnr_2 likes this.