POGO charging cable is available for sale soon!!!

jstevenkim

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
ec82aceca784-1.jpg

This is a real pogo charging cable that you may connect it to a charger. This accessory will be for sale within next 10 days on eBay and amazon. I will post a link to buy when it is up online. Thank you.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
cause it's probably just the cable portion with usb at the other end to plug into a usb wall wart. so it could do double duty with speakers and such that have usb input

I hope its not just plugging into a USB wallwart, otherwise it won't charge any faster as it will be the same 2.1 amps. I want it to have it's own wallwart with about 5 or more amps. My NewTrent 9900mha battery pack charger has its own wallwart that charges it in about 2 hours. That's what we need for our N10's. Otherwise, I don't see a need for it unless you need to charge while using a USB OTG cable. In addition, I won't be able to charge with it while using my case in propped up configuration or while closed. What we really need is a dock with pogo pin charging. But, seeing how long it took to get the N7 dock, well.....

sumx4182

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I hope its not just plugging into a USB wallwart, otherwise it won't charge any faster as it will be the same 2.1 amps. I want it to have it's own wallwart with about 5 or more amps. My NewTrent 9900mha battery pack charger has its own wallwart that charges it in about 2 hours. That's what we need for our N10's. Otherwise, I don't see a need for it unless you need to charge while using a USB OTG cable. In addition, I won't be able to charge with it while using my case in propped up configuration or while closed. What we really need is a dock with pogo pin charging. But, seeing how long it took to get the N7 dock, well.....
I thought the rumor was that it was a separate charging circuit. That the USB wasn't drawing the full amperage...could be wrong.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
USB is limited in charging because its a standard. You could make a USB cord charge faster but it might destroy other devices if they get plugged into it. That is why Motorola went with a dedicated charging cord on the OG Xoom, fast charging and you can't accidentally destroy other devices. personally I don't know what the pins on the N10 do, so it might use more then 2 for charging hence the extra pins on the pogo charger in the OP. However I think its going to be a combination of 2 things, first more then 2 pins are used for charging (2 hot 1 neutral) and two the other end of that cord is a USB so it can plug into other things like docks and be able to send multimedia via the cable.

Just my guess though. It could also be a manufacturing thing. Its easier to make 1 cord end with all the pins then then multiple diffent ends with or without all the pins. Why build multiple machines for god knows how much money when you can just use one and have pins that don't do anything....

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but that doesn't sound right to me.

A device (like an N7) will draw what ever current it wants. Having 5 Amps available to a 2 Amp device will not hurt it. The microUSB charging port is limited by the amount of surface area for contact and, potentially, by the gauge of the wires. This is why faster chargers use something like a barrel jack with lots of surface area. My guess is that multiple pogo pins are used for ground and +5V. As for the USB standard - the current limitation is from a USB port on a computer. USB 2.0 has a standard 100 mA available with a negotiation for 500 mA. USB 3.0 allows a higher current (900 mA) but still requires negotiation for it. This has nothing to do with stand alone chargers.which don't have any of that negotiation . Some do put voltages on the D+ and D- pins to signal what they are capable of delivering (though I believe only Apple devices look at that). Some USB chargers have current limiting so a 2 Amp device doesn't kill a 1 Amp charger though I wouldn't be surprised if cheap chargers don't.

USB is limited in charging because its a standard. You could make a USB cord charge faster but it might destroy other devices if they get plugged into it. That is why Motorola went with a dedicated charging cord on the OG Xoom, fast charging and you can't accidentally destroy other devices. personally I don't know what the pins on the N10 do, so it might use more then 2 for charging hence the extra pins on the pogo charger in the OP. However I think its going to be a combination of 2 things, first more then 2 pins are used for charging (2 hot 1 neutral) and two the other end of that cord is a USB so it can plug into other things like docks and be able to send multimedia via the cable.

Just my guess though. It could also be a manufacturing thing. Its easier to make 1 cord end with all the pins then then multiple diffent ends with or without all the pins. Why build multiple machines for god knows how much money when you can just use one and have pins that don't do anything....

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but that doesn't sound right to me.

A device (like an N7) will draw what ever current it wants. Having 5 Amps available to a 2 Amp device will not hurt it. The microUSB charging port is limited by the amount of surface area for contact and, potentially, by the gauge of the wires. This is why faster chargers use something like a barrel jack with lots of surface area. My guess is that multiple pogo pins are used for ground and +5V. As for the USB standard - the current limitation is from a USB port on a computer. USB 2.0 has a standard 100 mA available with a negotiation for 500 mA. USB 3.0 allows a higher current (900 mA) but still requires negotiation for it. This has nothing to do with stand alone chargers.which don't have any of that negotiation . Some do put voltages on the D+ and D- pins to signal what they are capable of delivering (though I believe only Apple devices look at that). Some USB chargers have current limiting so a 2 Amp device doesn't kill a 1 Amp charger though I wouldn't be surprised if cheap chargers don't.

I believe that's what I said, maybe you misunderstood me. If you had a device that could except voltage on more pins it could be charged faster, however you dont see that because USB is a standard and it could damage other devices not set up for that.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, perhaps you think you said that but there are a lot of nuances. It's not about voltage, it's about current. Voltage is always going to be 5V (well, within the limits of regulator circuits). That's from the USB standard. What isn't in the standard is the current capacity of the USB cable and connectors. That's governed by size and physics, not standards. There are no standard that defines the current available from a USB charger (from a computer USB port, yes, though). This is why to get more current, people double or triple up on the conductors/connections. Another point a lot of people don't get is that while voltage is a "push" thing (the source, or power supply, defines the voltage), current is a "pull" thing (the sink, or device being charged, defines current). So, it is possible a charger is able to supply 5V at up to, say 5 Amps but will not damage a device that only wants 2 Amps as that is all it will draw (i.e. pull).

There is an emerging USB Power Delivery standard but products are supposed to be just coming out that adhere to it. The standard requires PD aware cables. Here's a presentation that gives the general outlines of it (note: I have yet to see such products, probably wishful thinking.) Prior to this Apple (and others??) have used voltages on the USB data lines to signal what current the power supply is capable of delivering. This has the advantage of being cheap to implement. The new PD standard looks like it needs more silicon in the power supply (aka charger) and thus will increase cost.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle