Nexus 10 Miracast WiFi display sharing?

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Android 4.2 supports Miracast and it was announced pre-release that the N10 would support it. But then when it was released it was said that it would probably be coming in a future update.

... Anyone have any info on this?

canterp

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Google falsely advertised. They have subsequently pulled the advertisements.

You can get similar functionality on your Laptop using Widi. I am told Apple is capable with Apple TV and Airplay.

I went out and bought a Netgear modem which is Mircast capable only to find the Nexus 10 without.

I have had 4 Nexus', the S, the Galaxy, the 7 and now the 10. The 10 is very buggy, I think it is fair to say that it was released before it was ready. The same is true with the Miracast statements from Google. They were not ready.

Shame on Google. Shouldn't they know better?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

You can get similar functionality on your Laptop using Widi. I am told Apple is capable with Apple TV and Airplay.

I went out and bought a Netgear modem which is Mircast capable only to find the Nexus 10 without.

I have had 4 Nexus', the S, the Galaxy, the 7 and now the 10. The 10 is very buggy, I think it is fair to say that it was released before it was ready. The same is true with the Miracast statements from Google. They were not ready.

I wouldn't say they falsely advertised, more so just like you said it isn't ready. The way I heard it is every device needs separate Miracast certification.

So just because 4.2 supports it and they have the Nexus 10 software ready they can't release it until they have Miracast certification.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The thing about Miracast is that a lot of devices (well, of those that are already out or soon to be out) are simply considered "pre-compliant." This means that the device and software are both capable of using Miracast (both hardware/software-wise); but haven't been completely configured to utilize the protocol (Wifi-Direct, as far as I know?) yet. "False advertisement" is a bit of a harsh statement; as I'm fairly certain that it wasn't advertised outside of those who had been following the tech-trends and Android development. Jelly Bean (4.2) supports it natively in the backend/code and the Nexus 10 is compliant. In this specific case, you can only wait until it's been completely sorted. I'm sure in the next year, there's going to be more devices (and Nexus 10's functionality being enabled) that is Miracast-enabled. New protocols/features take time to be mainlined to the end-user - so no reason to get too bent out of shape over it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Google didnt falsely advertise it. you interpreted it wrong. Google said Android 4.2 has Miracast support but they never said nexus 10 has Miracast support.
on the other hand nexus 4 was advertised with Miracast support and it is absolutely true. nexus 4 does support it but the problem was there is no miracast receiver devices that supports it. only pre compliant devices which wouldnt work properly.
Google develop Android with all other manufacturers in mind and release Android saying Miracast is now supported in Android. doesnt mean it is supported in nexus 10.
so many people had so much confusion like this before when Android 4.2, Nexus 4 and nexus 10 was released. it was just that those people didnt read the release correctly.

widi and airplay are properietry but miracast is developed by wifi.org and will be a standard soon. this concept is very new and its like when wifi was released initially. many had problems because wifi devices were pre compliant at that time.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Google didnt falsely advertise it. you interpreted it wrong. Google said Android 4.2 has Miracast support but they never said nexus 10 has Miracast support.
on the other hand nexus 4 was advertised with Miracast support and it is absolutely true. nexus 4 does support it but the problem was there is no miracast receiver devices that supports it. only pre compliant devices which wouldnt work properly.
Google develop Android with all other manufacturers in mind and release Android saying Miracast is now supported in Android. doesnt mean it is supported in nexus 10.
so many people had so much confusion like this before when Android 4.2, Nexus 4 and nexus 10 was released. it was just that those people didnt read the release correctly.

I'm not quite following you. In regards to the N4 you say it supports Miracast but it doesn't work with Miracast receivers? If it supports Miracast it will work with other Miracast devices. So if it doesn't work with other Miracast devices then it doesn't support Miracast. (?)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not quite following you. In regards to the N4 you say it supports Miracast but it doesn't work with Miracast receivers? If it supports Miracast it will work with other Miracast devices. So if it doesn't work with other Miracast devices then it doesn't support Miracast. (?)

ok, let me try to explain this situation. nexus 4 totally support miracast but there is NO Miracast COMPLIANT devices out there in the market now.
If there is a Compliant device which you can buy now Nexus 4 will work with it.
but all the devices out there now are PRE Compliant device. which means all those devices has half implemented(not completly implemented) miracast support and wont work properly with ANY sender devices.

Nexus 4 and and the receiver both has to support it properly to work. if the receiver(which is made by some company and not google) doesn't properly implement it how does that mean that nexus 4 doesnt support it. it means the receiver doesnt support. I hope i explained it properly.

the problem is with miracast receiver and not with nexus 4.

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
ok, let me try to explain this situation. nexus 4 totally support miracast but there is NO Miracast COMPLIANT devices out there in the market now.
If there is a Compliant device which you can buy now Nexus 4 will work with it.
but all the devices out there now are PRE Compliant device. which means all those devices has half implemented(not completly implemented) miracast support and wont work properly with ANY sender devices.

Nexus 4 and and the receiver both has to support it properly to work. if the receiver(which is made by some company and not google) doesn't properly implement it how does that mean that nexus 4 doesnt support it. it means the receiver doesnt support. I hope i explained it properly.

the problem is with miracast receiver and not with nexus 4.

That makes sense. I was under the impression that there was already Miracast receivers on the market.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

D Mac

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Using WiFi Direct under WiFi settings I can connect my N7 and my N10. They show up as" Peer Devices".

Lol not sure what this does for me but it's a start I guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks