Considering the switch from iPad 3...

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I recently have transferred from its to Android, and now I cannot get enough! I've been thinking about the Nexus 10 quite a bit, but the only thing that is stopping me is the oft-heard complaint about the lack of app optimization. Is it really as bad as the reviews say? I generally use my iPad for watching video, playing games and reading via iBooks (however, Play Books is just as good, so this transition would be easy). I had a Nexus 7 but ultimately returned it due to a number of defective units (problems ranging from back light bleeding to screen separation to rows of dead pixels) and the fact that the screen seemed really washed out compared to my Note 2. How does the N10 compare in this regard? The smart cover-like accessory would also be a must for the stand function, but I don't see them available for purchase although some reviewers received them? Is there any news of when these could be available for the general public?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a Nexus 7 and returned it for the same reasons you did. I wanted the pure Google experience so I went right out and got a Nexus 10. Its night and day and once you hold it in your hands you can see what I'm talking about. It's Samsung and comes with the same look, feel and build quality we've come to expect from them. The screen has very good color Saturation and white/black balance. The Nexus 10 feels good in your hand and has a quality look. Too bad the nexus 4 isn't coming out in a CDMA variant or I'd grab one of those too. Good Luck!!

I had the Samsung Tab 10.1 and just got really sick of the lack of software support.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It's only because it's a new tablet and therefore games and apps are not optimized yet, I garuntee within a month or two most apps you would use everyday would be compatible

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Xoom and an iPad 3. I look at it this way: Android doesn't encourage dedicated tablet apps, but as a result, the full ecosystem is available to you on either tablets or phones. It's how Android scales app assets to fit screen sizes that seems to get up bloggers' noses.

In terms of scaling assets to fit on Android tablets, the apps never bothered me. I kind of like that the same app on my Xoom was the same on my Nexus 4 and 7. I can see how it may be distracting aesthetically with some apps, but at the end of the day, I want functionality and it's absolutely there.

Frankly, take all the complaints about apps on 10" Android tablets with a grain of salt. There may be 275,000 dedicated iPad apps out there, but remarkably few of them use the tablet space well. I always think back to how awful the original AP News app for iPad was. Just look at how much space is wasted in Apple's own remote app for iPad right now. Quality and design are as inconsistent in the iOS ecosystem as Android IMHO.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I personally believe if you showed most people the "unoptimized" apps on a Nexus 10 and told them they were actual Tablet apps they would never know the difference.

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Also, is holding it in portrait for reading an issue? Some reviews state it is awkward to hold in portrait due to the screen ratio not being 4:3 like the iPad. I may stop by Wal-Mart today to see if they have any, just so I can play around with it. Are there any decent cases out there right now? I would prefer just the detachable cover, but I don't think it is for sale right now. And, knowing Google, the minute it goes on sale it will be sold out and the order process will be messed up.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Also, is holding it in portrait for reading an issue? Some reviews state it is awkward to hold in portrait due to the screen ratio not being 4:3 like the iPad. I may stop by Wal-Mart today to see if they have any, just so I can play around with it. Are there any decent cases out there right now? I would prefer just the detachable cover, but I don't think it is for sale right now. And, knowing Google, the minute it goes on sale it will be sold out and the order process will be messed up.

I might be an odd ball, but I prefer holding tablets in landscape rather than portrait, even the iPad. Reaching for the top of the screen in portrait is more of a pain than landscape for me.

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Xoom and an iPad 3. I look at it this way: Android doesn't encourage dedicated tablet apps, but as a result, the full ecosystem is available to you on either tablets or phones. It's how Android scales app assets to fit screen sizes that seems to get up bloggers' noses.

In terms of scaling assets to fit on Android tablets, the apps never bothered me. I kind of like that the same app on my Xoom was the same on my Nexus 4 and 7. I can see how it may be distracting aesthetically with some apps, but at the end of the day, I want functionality and it's absolutely there.

Frankly, take all the complaints about apps on 10" Android tablets with a grain of salt. There may be 275,000 dedicated iPad apps out there, but remarkably few of them use the tablet space well. I always think back to how awful the original AP News app for iPad was. Just look at how much space is wasted in Apple's own remote app for iPad right now. Quality and design are as inconsistent in the iOS ecosystem as Android IMHO.

I suspected as much really, otherwise I'd want to know how Apple turned all their Devs into professional UX designers. Still, too many apps force Android tablets into portrait mode because of their phone origins. And at least iOS has consistant things like buttons and menus looking similar. In Android, you tend to get half-Gingerbread half-ICS UIs.

via Tapatalk

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

it is a bit odd but that is useful for reading. you can see more text to read. tbh, i use it portrait all the time.

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know! Hopefully I can pick one up at a Walmart tomorrow and play around with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine at Walmart which was great but unfortunately they had none on display. It was just locked up in the case.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I stopped by one today and they didn't have any on display (unfortunately, they were all sold out). I just figured I could buy one, use it and if I didn't like it enough, pay the restocking fee and think of it as a "rental" fee.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Also, is holding it in portrait for reading an issue? Some reviews state it is awkward to hold in portrait due to the screen ratio not being 4:3 like the iPad.

I'm not sure what the reviewers meant by awkward. Awkward in comparison to an iPad? Awkward because they are accustomed to an iPad? Awkward in and of itself? I don't own an iPad nor have I ever read books on an iPad. I do find the Nnexus 10 to be excellent for reading Comic Books. I grew up reading hard cover books from my public Library as wel, and I in no way find reading on my Nexus 10 in portrait more awkward than those.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Exactly. I don't get it either. What looks worse: a stretched out app that is the same on each platform (phone or tablet) or an app that you have to scale up to 2x just to "kinda" fit the screen? Oh, and not to mention that if you want one to fit the screen on your iPad, when you already have the phone version, you now have to pay another $2.99+ to get it. That whole ecosystem thing is a load of crap. And I am (currently) an iOS user.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. I don't get it either. What looks worse: a stretched out app that is the same on each platform (phone or tablet) or an app that you have to scale up to 2x just to "kinda" fit the screen? Oh, and not to mention that if you want one to fit the screen on your iPad, when you already have the phone version, you now have to pay another $2.99+ to get it. That whole ecosystem thing is a load of crap. And I am (currently) an iOS user.

Out of over about 75 iOS apps that I have, I had to pay extra on 2 of them that where not universal to iPhones, iPods and iPads. This post is just an out right lie. There maybe a few that is the case but that is up to the developer not Apple.

My biggest disappointment with Nexus 10 are all the un-optimized apps. I would actually prefer a 2x app in some cases. The Facebook app on android makes everything so huge. It's a crappy user experience.

There is much to like about the Nexus 10 but you guys are in serious denial if you do not recognize the tablet app situation needs to be addressed. Some devs have updated their apps but many have not. There was an interview I read on one of the blogs I read. These dev teams said they don't make as much money if any developing for android and this is part of the problem and why most of them are in no hurry to optimize their apps.

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I was just reading magazine trials last night in portrait and I've quite enjoyed the experience.

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Out of over about 75 iOS apps that I have, I had to pay extra on 2 of them that where not universal to iPhones, iPods and iPads. This post is just an out right lie. There maybe a few that is the case but that is up to the developer not Apple.

My biggest disappointment with Nexus 10 are all the un-optimized apps. I would actually prefer a 2x app in some cases. The Facebook app on android makes everything so huge. It's a crappy user experience.

There is much to like about the Nexus 10 but you guys are in serious denial if you do not recognize the tablet app situation needs to be addressed. Some devs have updated their apps but many have not. There was an interview I read on one of the blogs I read. These dev teams said they don't make as much money if any developing for android and this is part of the problem and why most of them are in no hurry to optimize their apps.

Your example app (Facebook) doesn't even make money from sales.

I much prefer a stretched ui than one at half-res all pixelated.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus 7 is a start but you can't expect everything to move super fast. Since only with Android 4.1 did Android tablets actually become really competitive.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63