Considering the switch from iPad 3...

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Your example app (Facebook) doesn't even make money from sales.

I much prefer a stretched ui than one at half-res all pixelated.

And that changes the reality of the facts how exactly? Not everyone has the same preferences.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 is a start but you can't expect everything to move super fast. Since only with Android 4.1 did Android tablets actually become really competitive.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Well see about that over the next few month. Why should we not expect Devs to support tablet apps sooner rather than later.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well see about that over the next few month. Why should we not expect Devs to support tablet apps sooner rather than later.

Because it's a Catch 22. The platform has to be sound to get apps and the apps have to be there for the platform to be worthwhile. I'm not sure about a few months but by the end of 2013 I am positive there will be a solid 100 or so tablet apps with a few more thousand gradually upgraded through 2013.

Remember as well iPad 1 was 10inch right out the gate while iPhone at the time was only 3.5 inch. Android apps have a challenge with "fully responsive" app design with assumedly less profit potential (though now would be a great time to do quality paid 10" apps).

Everything is moving so fast nowadays as consumers it is pretty great but we gotta give devs both time and feedback so they know what's most important to focus on.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
First time impressions tend to stick in the mind of new users. I already know of 3 people that got Nexus devices for Christmas that are thinking about or already returned them due to the app situation.

I am not saying you are doing this, but this is hugely downplayed and its an issue. I realize for some they will choose to accept and deal with on hopes of development over time. I just don't see in this fast paced segment that a year for Dev teams to get on board with Android is acceptable. Google has made mistakes along the way with the development of the ecosystem. Whereas Apple with iTunes had one in place and enticed rapid app development. I do believe Android will catch up, but again first impressions are important. Fortunately in the case of new adopters that have never had an iPad experience, these users won't know the difference so that will likely play in Googles favor for now.

Look I like my Nexus device, but I am sorely disappointed in the app experiences right now and feel this just continues to give Apple the edge.

The iPhone 5's display is now almost 100% supported by mainstream iOS apps within 3 month. There are mainstream apps that won't even install on my Nexus 10 because it says they are not compatible. N7 has been out for 6 month now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 with Tapatalk 2

Thomas Day

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What specific apps did your three friends have such horrendous issues with that they're abandoning the tablet altogether? I don't want to call bull here but....

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
What specific apps did your three friends have such horrendous issues with that they're abandoning the tablet altogether? I don't want to call bull here but....

You can call BS all you want, I am just telling you what they told me. I have no reason to doubt what they said. Out of the three one has already returned his for an iPad. The other two I have not talked to since they told me. Both of them have iPads in their family so I am sure that is what they are comparing too.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You can call BS all you want, I am just telling you what they told me. I have no reason to doubt what they said. Out of the three one has already returned his for an iPad. The other two I have not talked to since they told me. Both of them have iPads in their family so I am sure that is what they are comparing too.

Next time you speak to your friends please ask them what Apps they had issues with, what Apps were missing ETC.These kind of details would help me tremendously in understanding their view point. :)

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
First time impressions tend to stick in the mind of new users. I already know of 3 people that got Nexus devices for Christmas that are thinking about or already returned them due to the app situation.

I am not saying you are doing this, but this is hugely downplayed and its an issue. I realize for some they will choose to accept and deal with on hopes of development over time. I just don't see in this fast paced segment that a year for Dev teams to get on board with Android is acceptable. Google has made mistakes along the way with the development of the ecosystem. Whereas Apple with iTunes had one in place and enticed rapid app development. I do believe Android will catch up, but again first impressions are important. Fortunately in the case of new adopters that have never had an iPad experience, these users won't know the difference so that will likely play in Googles favor for now.

Look I like my Nexus device, but I am sorely disappointed in the app experiences right now and feel this just continues to give Apple the edge.

The iPhone 5's display is now almost 100% supported by mainstream iOS apps within 3 month. There are mainstream apps that won't even install on my Nexus 10 because it says they are not compatible. N7 has been out for 6 month now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 with Tapatalk 2

Those people didn't wait long at all. The whole reason google pushed out their new Nexus devices with good hardware was so app developers would get off their asses and update their apps with better graphics, higher resolutions, and optimized frame rate. And app developers started heavily doing that but it took some time because its not like what consoles due where they hand out dev kits a year in advanced. They have to get the hardware, test their games on it, hear user submitted flaws and fix them while supporting tons of other devices and android versions. The Nexus devices are suppose to pave the future for android apps, games, and devices so when 2013 rolls around and hardware manufacturers start releasing their new devices at the same price as the ipads with their new next generation graphic cards, people won't assume just buy the apple because it's better and the same price. Btw random info: next generation graphic cards for most well known companies are released in 2013. So far App developers have come through for me. I have a whole arsenal of HD games for my Nexus 10. 16 gb of games and so far not a single pic or vid. Haven't touched my PS3 in days.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Those people didn't wait long at all. The whole reason google pushed out their new Nexus devices with good hardware was so app developers would get off their asses and update their apps with better graphics, higher resolutions, and optimized frame rate. .

Oh I agree they did not wait because they apparently expected a better user experience with apps from the get go.

One of the biggest apps they complain about is freaking Facebook, which I personally don't use. There were other apps too and when I see them I will ask specifically which ones.

I think it will get better over time I mean it has too. Google may lose some during that process.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well i find facebook app works fine since switching to native coding but I find they did screw up one thing. They scaled pictures bigger than the tablet screen in portrait. I have to scroll from the top of the pic to the bottom, and when you full screen the pic you find out it wasn't even that big to begin with. I hope they fix this but so far its not ruining my day.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In regards to the "tablet optimized apps" discussion, it's being made out to be a much larger issue than it really is. For someone to dismiss the tablet altogether over the lack of apps that are optimized for tablet use is pretty ridiculous (in my opinion). Facebook - Alright, so the first-party client doesn't function all that well on an Android tablet. It scales up images and all, making it a bit of an eyesore. Yeah? That was the problem, right? Friendcaster, which is far, far better than the actual first-party app is tablet-optimized. I had a few problems with it when I had first got my Nexus 10 (Facebook updated its SDK, as far as I know - causing many users to be rejected due to incompatibility). It's been updated, works fine for me. I say it's better than the iPad/Android (tablet optimized or not) app. I fear your friends jumped the gun, in regards to dismissing it due to lack of first party support from developers. Android is about customization - you poke and look around for apps that work for you. Trading the Nexus 10 in due to this is simple foolhardiness.

Its rebooting? I've had my Nexus 10 since the 17th of December - 0 reboots. I've manually rebooted it twice and turned it off for a few days as I was away from home (and wouldn't be around to use it, obviously). I've had a max uptime of 8 days and about 6 hours - this is when I turned it off. I have had Location Services turned on, use NFC constantly to move things back and forth between my N10 and S3. Yes, I acknowledge some users got the blunt end and have problems with restarting/locking up. In my personal experience, I haven't had these issues. I've stayed away from Chrome - using Dolphin (with Jetpack) instead. Again, it's all about finding "what works for you". That's the thing about the Android environment. It's focus is customization. I'm not saying that you find what -works- and makes it function. Rather, I'm saying that you have to find what apps you want to use, what widgets you want to use, what custom ROM (if that's your thing), and everything else (on mobiles you can dwell all the way down into Radios/PRL files/etc).

iOS is locked into the environment that they supply to you; that's that. To come onto a forum dedicated to Android users and compliment Apple's iOS is pretty silly - you were bound to be flamed/trolled. Yes, many people will accept that there aren't as many optimized apps for tablets. But you have to take in consideration that the Nexus 7 and 10 are Google's first "attack" on the tablet market. Until then, it was all third-party manufacturers without Google's support making tablets. Developers will create tablet-supported apps for Android. Google will fix common issues. Apple had similar issues when they first moved into the tablet realm; using even worse techniques to scale up the current mobile apps, even. The first gen iPad had a lot of issues, very similar to the ones you're having with the Nexus 10. You're simply basing the fact that Android tablets have been around for a while as means for complaint against the amount of optimized applications. Apple has had four generations (mini excluded) to work out the kinks in their tablets. This is first gen from Google.

This is not to say that the Nexus 10 isn't freakin' incredible. My personal experience has been more than accommodating and positive. I watch Netflix, Crunchyroll, use TeamViewer to do on-the-fly remote assistance, Teamspeak for talking to my GW2 guild buddies, and play various games for hours on end. In the end, I would still recommend the Nexus 10 to anyone who wants a solid tablet that's beautiful, high resolution, and lightning quick.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
In regards to the "tablet optimized apps" discussion, it's being made out to be a much larger issue than it really is. For someone to dismiss the tablet altogether over the lack of apps that are optimized for tablet use is pretty ridiculous (in my opinion). Facebook - Alright, so the first-party client doesn't function all that well on an Android tablet. It scales up images and all, making it a bit of an eyesore. Yeah? That was the problem, right? Friendcaster, which is far, far better than the actual first-party app is tablet-optimized. I had a few problems with it when I had first got my Nexus 10 (Facebook updated its SDK, as far as I know - causing many users to be rejected due to incompatibility). It's been updated, works fine for me. I say it's better than the iPad/Android (tablet optimized or not) app. I fear your friends jumped the gun, in regards to dismissing it due to lack of first party support from developers. Android is about customization - you poke and look around for apps that work for you. Trading the Nexus 10 in due to this is simple foolhardiness.

Its rebooting? I've had my Nexus 10 since the 17th of December - 0 reboots. I've manually rebooted it twice and turned it off for a few days as I was away from home (and wouldn't be around to use it, obviously). I've had a max uptime of 8 days and about 6 hours - this is when I turned it off. I have had Location Services turned on, use NFC constantly to move things back and forth between my N10 and S3. Yes, I acknowledge some users got the blunt end and have problems with restarting/locking up. In my personal experience, I haven't had these issues. I've stayed away from Chrome - using Dolphin (with Jetpack) instead. Again, it's all about finding "what works for you". That's the thing about the Android environment. It's focus is customization. I'm not saying that you find what -works- and makes it function. Rather, I'm saying that you have to find what apps you want to use, what widgets you want to use, what custom ROM (if that's your thing), and everything else (on mobiles you can dwell all the way down into Radios/PRL files/etc).

iOS is locked into the environment that they supply to you; that's that. To come onto a forum dedicated to Android users and compliment Apple's iOS is pretty silly - you were bound to be flamed/trolled. Yes, many people will accept that there aren't as many optimized apps for tablets. But you have to take in consideration that the Nexus 7 and 10 are Google's first "attack" on the tablet market. Until then, it was all third-party manufacturers without Google's support making tablets. Developers will create tablet-supported apps for Android. Google will fix common issues. Apple had similar issues when they first moved into the tablet realm; using even worse techniques to scale up the current mobile apps, even. The first gen iPad had a lot of issues, very similar to the ones you're having with the Nexus 10. You're simply basing the fact that Android tablets have been around for a while as means for complaint against the amount of optimized applications. Apple has had four generations (mini excluded) to work out the kinks in their tablets. This is first gen from Google.

This is not to say that the Nexus 10 isn't freakin' incredible. My personal experience has been more than accommodating and positive. I watch Netflix, Crunchyroll, use TeamViewer to do on-the-fly remote assistance, Teamspeak for talking to my GW2 guild buddies, and play various games for hours on end. In the end, I would still recommend the Nexus 10 to anyone who wants a solid tablet that's beautiful, high resolution, and lightning quick.

Mad love for this post when i read you have crunchyroll app. :D

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't disagree that the issue is overblown. I am just telling you this is what these end users are telling me. I too have decided to send my Nexus 10 back, but mine isn't related to apps, but the freezing and rebooting. Of the 3 people that I know that got them, 2 has sent them back and one has decided to keep his. They were expecting a different user experience and like it, agree with it or not that is their choice to make regardless of how you feel about it. I will tell you both of these folks that sent them back do have iPad in the home and so their expectations were different than someone that hasn't ever used an iPad.

Each person has to make a decision based on their wants, desires from a product. I personally have no issues with the lack of optimized tablet apps, but I do have a big problem with barely being able to go beyond 2 hours of use without this damn thing freezing up and restarting. It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing this just happens. Again my issue here is more about the lack of support I have gotten. Its well we can give you and RMA. My friends may have jumped the gun, but they are apparently happy with their decisions and so that is that.

iOS is a locked environment and not one place have you seen me say otherwise. For the umteenth time, all I've said is that for music, video, podcast etc, you aren't locked into just doing everything with Apple. That is an absolute fact and there isn't anything to argue about their. In terms of Apps YES, its locked up tighter than dicks hat band and I don't suspect that is going to change. This is the reason many folks have opted to try Android. Well right now I have had a N7 which has been great out of the box. I've had an N10 that frozen up and rebooted constantly even after following not what Google recommended (as they only offered an RMA). I still have the problem. I had purchased both an iPad 4 and Nexus 10. I planned to decided between the 2 of them and send one back. Well initially I said right out the gate the iPad is going back. I loved the size, the display, front facing speakers and all the customization. However, after the issues I had and the time frame given (return process) I had to make a hard choice. So, I did! I am not really happy about it, but it is what it is.

I am happy and delighted that others have had a great experience, unfortunately that isn't my case. I will keep my N7 and the iPad 4 for now and at some point in the future I will give Google another shot. Not one time have I bashed Android or Nexus. I just shared the differences in my experiences (iPad and Nexus 10) and you guys seem to be pretty freaking candy assed about it. I am hardly Pro Apple here, but you don't really have to be in forums like this. You just have to mention Apple or iPad's an you guys get your panties in a knot.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I was simply stating my own position in the matter, really. People are entitled to their own, no matter how silly I find them (as I'm certain many would find some of my own equally as comical). It just seems to me that most constant Apple users expect everything handed to them out-of-the-box, to be frank. The Nexus platform is the bare essentials of the Android operating system. Somebody who is more knowledgeable about Android know what to expect; or rather, anybody that took the time to research the product they were going to spend $400-$500 on. Looking into such large purchases should be the first thing a user does, be they computer illiterate or a power-user. Again, my own perspective on the matter.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that any of us haven't used an Apple product, either. I've spent time using iPhones, iPads, and (especially) iPods. I'm experienced with iOS and its many fallacies, glitches, exploits, and the environment. There are many, many issues from the software and development standpoint (don't even get me started on Xcode or Objective C). However, not many iOS users are going to be concerned about such things.

I'm glad that you're more satisfied with your Nexus 7 than you had been with the Nexus 10 you had such difficulties with. The Android ecosystem isn't all that bad, even if you're accustomed to the Apple environment. As you've said, Android users like the more open environment that Apple doesn't even get close to fulfilling. Obviously, Apple's ecosystem has its own pros and cons as well. The end user doesn't have to interact or think too interpersonally to have a satisfying experience; making it easier for many. Due to it's wide usage, Apple products have better support in regards to official and third-party accessories and docking options. This is the sole reason as to why Apple continues to strive without much competition. They've successfully became the Microsoft of this generation (in regards to capitalizing on being the mainstream platform). Rather than falling into a huge debacle over the Apple/Microsoft/Google fan base, I'll stop my micro-tirade there.

Really, not to be too bravely abrasive, I've read the majority of your posts in regard to your issues with the Nexus 10. Even though you attempt to be as objective as you can be, your posts focused more on the downsides and complaints, rather than patience and troubleshooting. Yes, I understand that you (like all of us) had a limited window before having to keep it permanently or to return it, sans restocking fees. Yes, I would undoubtedly be annoyed and frustrated if I had a similar experience. However, you've made comments that come off as overly critical, not so much of the Nexus 10 (as that's understandable by all of us here, I'm sure); but of the community. Which, of course, causes discord and conflict. Thus, as to why the more frequent members have had their "panties in a knot", in a manner of speaking. You've accused users of lying to prove a point, for example. You should only expect similar treatment of what you give unto others (as the proverb states).

By any of this, I'm not saying I have a problem with you in any way, shape, or form. I've merely attempted to shed some light from a different perspective. May your iPad 4 and Nexus 7 bring many hours of enjoyment and functionality.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, 4" Android best, 7" Nexus best, 10" iPad 4 best. Simple for me. 😁

By early 2014 though I feel Nexus 10" and similar will be really polished.