Streaming music?

bigbossx

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey

I am wondering if there are any options for streaming music from pc to nexus 10. I am aware I could just transfer the music files over, but with only 16gb storage space I don't really want to clog it up with music.

I'm hopefully looking for a program I can install and use on my pc, but also use/ stream from it with N10, also it would hopefully be able to continue playing while tablet is asleep as I'm currently just using youtube and the tablet has to remain awake to continue playing, kind of annoying but is my only option at the moment.

I've considered using dropbox to store a selection of music and just add/remove as required but again I'm limited by the storage capacity of dropbox, so I'm looking for a more comprehensive, streamlined solution.

So are there any apps/programs like this out there?

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
+2 Google Music. Love it! I also stream Pandora and I Heart Radio. I am fan of Kenny Chesney so I stream his NSR radio app. I save the 16GB for movies.

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
+3 for Google Music. Have thousands of songs from my CD's and from i-Tunes that Google Music effortlessly uploaded to their cloud service. Now I can stream any song, any album or any artist and couldn't be happier.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This depends on what you want to do.

Google Music and Amazon MP3 can stream from there services and will let you upload your own stuff.

Subsonic Media streamer will let you take your home pc/server and stream from it.

Can use UPNP and DLNA to stream from a local pc/server to a tab or phone on your local network.

Which of those seems to fit your use case best. I honestly use all 4 of them in some form or fashion. I also use these options to stream video as well as music.

I use Mediahouse UPNP/DLNA from the play store to stream from my home server, and Subsonic has their own app. You can certainly let the screen go dark while using them.

Last edited:

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
amazon mp3 can only stream 250 songs for free and it costs extra for additional streaming. google music streams 20,000 for free.

I thought the limit was by size not the number of songs, but honestly i haven't looked at it long. They aren't equal though and careful research should be done before putting all your stuff on either..

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well i just confirmed on their website. It looks like the policy changed from what i was thinking as it is the first thing in their FAQ's. O well just makes the service that much less of a contender against Google.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
When it first launched it was a storage amount though. That changed at some point. I have had my amazon mp3 account since it launched and it was like 5GB for free or something. It wasn't about the Number of songs. But that doesn't matter now as the way it works now is 250 for free or 250k for 25 a year. If you have a huge collection it will be the easier way to go but if not the free option just doesn't compete with Google like it use to.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
+3 for Google Music. Have thousands of songs from my CD's and from i-Tunes that Google Music effortlessly uploaded to their cloud service. Now I can stream any song, any album or any artist and couldn't be happier.

Did the same.

Sent from my Nexus 10

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I did the same when google music first launched, However my Mp3 tags and album art are all fubared. Now with this service I'm thinking about deleateing everything I didn't purchase from google and letting them scan my collection in the hopes it clears things up.

zscheatham

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I did the same when google music first launched, However my Mp3 tags and album art are all fubared. Now with this service I'm thinking about deleateing everything I didn't purchase from google and letting them scan my collection in the hopes it clears things up.

Can you post an update after you try that? I'm with ya on the album artwork, total wreck. I was wondering the same thing...whether deleting the Google Music tracks and rebuilding from my computer would actually find the right album art...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Can you post an update after you try that? I'm with ya on the album artwork, total wreck. I was wondering the same thing...whether deleting the Google Music tracks and rebuilding from my computer would actually find the right album art...

you dont have to reupload all music google will match the music in a month or so Matching feature on the Google Play Music Manager - Google Play Help

If you?re a longtime Google Play Music user, you don?t need to re-upload your files to have them matched. In the next few months, we'll automatically match what we can of your existing library.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm but will their matching correct the tags and album art or will it default to what I uploaded? When ihave the tiem to test this what i think i will do is find some stuff i know to be fubared and delte that, then let ti rescan my collectionand see what happens