froze and crashed, should i be worried

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok today i was on my nexus 10 and the last 2 days i've felt like my tablet has been moving much slower. Took several attempts just to log into this site though i think its a facebook problem, and earlier i was in the play store and was trying to play a game trailer and during the video about 30 seconds in it went errrr froze flashed screen and turned off or rebooted. All i had open was the play store and nothing else. Should i be worried?

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well i found out why browser was so slow. I kept trying this page yesterday but i couldn't get in using my computer, phone or tablet so androidcentral was down. Facebook is still being slow. Im just really worried about that crash. I max out my phones processor and graphics use everyday and its never crashed like that but my tablet with a simple tasked errred, froze, then crashed scared the hell out of me.

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok today i was on my nexus 10 and the last 2 days i've felt like my tablet has been moving much slower. Took several attempts just to log into this site though i think its a facebook problem, and earlier i was in the play store and was trying to play a game trailer and during the video about 30 seconds in it went errrr froze flashed screen and turned off or rebooted. All i had open was the play store and nothing else. Should i be worried?

Freezing is a known issue related to the location services. Disabling location will fix things until Google sends out a patch.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got another random reboot while uninstalling a app. I herd there was some security issues with samsung processors but they ensured us that the Exnyos 5 was safe. My samsung phone just bricked a hour ago. Also i herd they already patched the random reboots on Nexus 10s

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
This is 2 days in a row it rebooted. And if you got your nexus when it just release then thats before the 4.2.1 patch was out which covers reboots.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 10 since Monday.
First step: Unlocked, Rooted.
Second step: Logged in, disabled Location Services (as I have no need for them)
---------------> Skip to today: 0 reboots, 0 crashes, 0 lag, 0 slow-down.

I've charged it for about three hours (not consecutively) and I'm still at 73% - auto-brightness, and I play NFS: Most Wanted/Dead Trigger quite a bit.
Mainly used for Skype conversations/video, IM'ing, IRC, and browsing (using Dolphin and Chrome, depending on my requirement).
If I were having the same issues, I would have returned it to Google by now and got a replacement device. >.>;;

davrow

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I know disabling location services is being touted as the be-all/end-all for fixing crashing - but my 2 cents.

My N10 has yet to crash (knock on wood) and I have location services turned on. (Unlocked and rooted, but I don't think that matters).

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
You know it's not nice for people to gloat about how well their rooted tablet works compared to someone who has a unrooted tablet. I started my post to find out solutions to problems concerning my device, not for people to rub my nose in it. please keep your post towards knowledgeable solutions, info on problems, previous unrooted related experiences, or news about software fixes.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
In fairness it is important to share if our devices are not experiencing [but uncool to gloat ;) ]

First it serves to present an accurate picture of the device for people considering purchasing it that may read this thread. I wouldn't want someone to end up with an iPad because they mistakenly thought all nexus 10s experience this problem.

Second, if you have a lemon you need to known it so you can return it. :D

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. But lately people do not give any info on their Nexus 10. They will say their tablet works fine but they wont say if they use it alot or what they use it for. Like a person that uses their tablet 30 minutes a day simply on facebook will not notice the problems of someone playing games, and watching videos on theirs up to 4 hours a day. There seems to be no real way to test to see if you got a lemon other than comparing and my friend didn't get hers so i have no one to compare mine to other than who's on this forum. And the first month is crucial to find out if your tablet is a lemon because i can't take it back to staples after that period. I wish someone would just tell me something like thats a known bug google is working on, or i had that problem it was a hardware defect. I already come to terms with my light bleed I'm just rushing to make sure my tablet is right, before the time runs out.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. But lately people do not give any info on their Nexus 10. They will say their tablet works fine but they wont say if they use it alot or what they use it for.

By no means was I attempting to gloat - just illustrating that not all Nexus 10 devices that have been shipped out have this reoccurring issue.Unlocked/unrooted devices haven't anything exactly special about them, in regards to avoiding crashes. I've been using mine for about 5-8 hours a day (between Skype for a few hours in the morning, playing games, using IM+/Skype messaging , browsing webpages, reading Google Play books [currently re-reading "Jane Eyre"]/Magazines/Currents, and watching Crunchyroll[anime]/Netflix[films]). I also stream music from Google Music and Spotify, on a near-constant basis. I do have Location Services turned off. I left it on for a few moments just to see if it could last without crashing; no problems (though, I turned it back off since I have no use for it).

As davrow has stated: You may just have a defective product. Getting it replaced through Google may be a viable solution. Yes, some Nexus 10 tablets are experiencing issues. Yes, Google has (basically) stated that they're working on it. Yes, there are some Nexus 10 devices that aren't experiencing any issues at all. No, we weren't attempting to gloat. I suggest contacting Google, getting an RMA, and then a replacement. It may take some time, as you know, their inventory isn't exactly the greatest at this time.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth what I have is a pre-synched 32 gigabyte Nexus 10. I would guess I use it on average 3 to 4 hours a day. I primarily use it for facebook, web browsing, YouTube, reading comic books and email. On weekends I may play games on it and if my wife is napping in the living room I'll use it for Netflix. I have location services on and about once every 2 or 3 days while in the Chrome browser I experience a lock up, sometimes it will crash and reboot sometimes I can quickly switch out of it by tapping the home button then I go to the recent apps and Sideswipe Chrome and relaunch it.

My Nexus is powered off at night while I charge and it is typically powered off during the commute to and from work as I can't use it while I'm driving [need to look into a car mount for it]. For all I know this could be the reason that I don't experience crashes as frequently as others. I also rarely ever use it while it is being charged or plugged in.

*I don't know if this will make any difference but I rarely ever use the voice typing features unless I happen to find myself alone.

I hope this is closer to the type of feedback you're looking for.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
More specifics:

Current Uptime: 24: 54: 07 (and counting)
Battery level: 81%
Usage within this uptime: 3-4 hours of reading books (Jane Eyre still), 40 minutes of reading Currents (news feeds), watched three anime episodes (roughly 20 minutes each - 1080p // 1 hour), random spurts of playing games, and took a few photos to test how the camera looked (looks good, just not a fan of holding a tablet up to take a photo, of course).
Charging habits: I tend to charge while I'm sleeping (1-2 hours a night). I'm keeping up with this time table as I charged last night between 7:30PM to 8:49PM.
Pre-synced?: Yes. However, as I unlocked/rooted - I had to re-sync.
Location Services?: As davrow stated that he's not been having issues with it, I've turned it back on since my last post. No lock-ups, yet.

When it isn't in use, it's sleeping. I only rebooted the Nexus 10 last night due to a Friendcaster error that I was hoping to resolve by a reboot. Sadly, it didn't fix it - but it seems to be a common issue with that, specific, app. Regardless, I do hope you can resolve the issue with yours - it's a brilliant device and I'm sure you'll fall in love with it (if you haven't already). 3:

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I kind of really want to exchange mine now but i just found out my cities staples doesn't carry it now. I don't know why. I pre ordered and picked it up from them, but the town 20 minutes away has it. It's kind of bogus cause he told me i could exchange it by the end of December. Tablet is working perfect now. Full speed. Perfect battery. The light bleed is driving me crazy though! Its not huge but about thumb size in the left corner and half a thumb on the right. I notice it every time the screen goes black. Like when hulu plus is cutting to a commercial or watching something really really dark. What are the odds of getting a replacement nexus 10 with light bleed? I guessed 1 in 3 chance but I'm not sure. And do you know if my paid Norton mobile security is transferable to a replacement tablet?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I think if 1 in 3 nexus 10s had your light bleed problem the interwebs would be on fire. There would be a thread a mile long here.

Personally if I thought I had a lemon I'd rather return it to staples and wait a month to get a "good" one from Google than spend the next 2+ years kicking myself over something that annoys me.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking 1 in 3 cause engadget got a light bleed from google and then there replacement was also a light bleed and there is a post on here with people complaining about their light bleed and some with their replacement light bleed. I probably am exchanging it for a new one. Especially since its really hard to resell a light bleed tablet when the next best thing comes along. Does anyone know if staples will let someone take a tablet back a second time if i were to get the same problem? Ps: could you guys do me a huge favor? Turn your brightness to maximum and tap the multitasking button and check your corners and tell me if u have any light bleed at all. This would really help.

Last edited:

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
1:3 ratio for light bleed is a ridiculous high. The Internet would be on fire.
Regardless, as far as I know, Google replaces devices with light bleed. Granted, it would be a bit of an annoyance if you were to get one (no doubt) - but, it wouldn't be the *end* of you possibly getting a "perfect" (quote/unquote) device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1