1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Mediaserver drain?

Ok i have had my Nexus 10 for weeks now. I already exchanged it once due to light bleed and random battery drain and reboots. This is my second one and the battery life is much better but ever once in a while I will get horrible battery due to media server. Like today i played I played Chaos Rings at half brightness for 20 minutes and when i went into my battery it said Chaos Rings 20% Mediaserver 57% its kind of weird screen wasn't in battery when I checked.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts

Default Re: Mediaserver drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    Ok i have had my Nexus 10 for weeks now. I already exchanged it once due to light bleed and random battery drain and reboots. This is my second one and the battery life is much better but ever once in a while I will get horrible battery due to media server. Like today i played I played Chaos Rings at half brightness for 20 minutes and when i went into my battery it said Chaos Rings 20% Mediaserver 57% its kind of weird screen wasn't in battery when I checked.
    Assuming Chaos Rings is not using mediaserver to serve its media, mediaserver drain is a known issue on Android. Seems to be related to having a graphic, song, or video loaded onto the tablet that mediaserver doesn't like and causes it to enter a loop.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...y-so-much.html
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Is there anyway to find out whats causing it and are they working on a update?

Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts

Is there anyway to find out whats causing it
    Yes. First you need to determine if it really is a problem. Charge device fully, then use it for several hours of non-media stuff (no music or video) and without plugging it into anything USB. Then check battery stats and see if the % of mediaserver really is an unreasonable percent of total usage. If so, you will have to remove any and all photos, music, and video and repeat the test. If fixed, then introduce SOME of those files, checking each time. It will be tedious.

and are they working on a update?
    I do not know
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok i just deleted the only media I had. The 2 pictures i took with my tablet.... so far mediaserver is sitting at 24% dispite only thing I've done is browser. Screen still does not register now. Even on the graph its not blue.

Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts

Ok i just deleted the only media I had. The 2 pictures i took with my tablet
    You loaded no other photos, music, or video??

so far mediaserver is sitting at 24% dispite only thing I've done is browser. Screen still does not register now. Even on the graph its not blue.
    That really means nothing without knowing how long the tablet has been off the charger, how it has been used, and for how long, on battery.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

2 hours and 25 minutes. Battery now at 83%. Mediaserver dropped down to 12% while playing Nova 3. screen finally appears in battery. 45 min screen time only, 17 min at half brightness. The rest at lowest. Its very puzzling why Sdcard 2% shows up now knowing there is no SD card slot.

Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts

2 hours and 25 minutes. Battery now at 83%. Mediaserver dropped down to 12% while playing Nova 3. screen finally appears in battery. 45 min screen time only, 17 min at half brightness. The rest at lowest. Its very puzzling why Sdcard 2% shows up now knowing there is no SD card slot.
    I tend to think there is no problem, then, unless your actual runtime is affected badly. 83% battery left after 45 min of screen on-time and 2:25 off charger and some game play is not unreasonable. Keep an eye on it as your battery gets closer to 5% and with some "normal" use.

I had this happen with my S3. I flashed stock 4.1.2 jellybean last week and my battery use went haywire. Media was sitting at 30% Media server at 10% AND my SD card was also using about 30% of total battery life.

I went from a full days charge to about 11 hours charge overnight. Last night, out of frustration i reset the phone, JB reinstalled and i basically reloaded all the apps and pictures ON THE PHONE one by one. I never touched the SD card. (i have music and videos on the sd card and photos on the phone)

Now Media is sitting at 15-18%, Media server is 4% and the SD card is at only 3% and it seems pretty stable, oh, and before i re added the pictures media was sitting at only 10% usage

To be honest i don't know exactly what i did, but it seemed to have worked.

hope this helps someone
    Last edited by goonerash; 12-30-2012 at 04:31 AM.