Does nexus 10 support Flash?

Miss Elayn

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
I have a few questions to ask you before deciding in buying a tablet. I can't decide between a google nexus 10 or a samsung note 10. I heard the nexus doesn't support Flash. I am not really good with things related to electronics. Can someone explain to me what not being able to have flash does? Will I be able to play little games or watch vid?os?

Also I would be using my tablet for things like going on facebook, read emails, watch some videos from time to time, take some pictures AND another reason why I want to buy one is I want to stay in touch with my family when I would be going on trips.

Which one between a nexus and a note is better for what I need it to do? :p

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter which tablet. Flash is supported under certain non-stock browsers. One of those is Firefox... but you have to load the Flash "apk" first. Without Flash, a browser cannot render Flash elements on websites that choose to use it. Many sites work just fine without it, some will have a loss in functionality. You don't need Flash to watch video locally on your tablet, on Youtube, or in apps.

Flash is on the way out, so many sites are starting to offer javascript/ajax/etc alternatives.

Everything else you mentioned is easy- just remember that if you have a WiFi-only tablet, you will not be able to use anything Internet related without a WiFi connection. Contrary to popular belief, accessible WiFi is far from "everywhere." If your cellphone and plan support WiFi "tethering", you can use that for access, but there are usually extra charges or restrictions on it.

thizzgiant

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes I just did it yesterday on my Nexus 10 and here's how. First install Firefox browser from the play store and then install the 4shared app from the play store also. Launch the 4shared app and from there search for "flash player apk", there will be a few different versions but get yourself version 11.1. Once you download that install it and it will ask you what you want to open it with, select Firefox and you are good to go.

Miss Elayn

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha, I am a dinosaur, my cellphone is prepaid!!! :D And I will only use the tablet where there is WiFi as I don't want to pay extra for that.
My friend has a samsung note. She told me she likes it. The pictures she took with it was great already but I saw in the specs that the nexus is better?
Also, will I be able to chat on skype with my family with nexus crxssi?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The pictures she took with it was great already but I saw in the specs that the nexus is better?
The specs on the Nexus 10 are better than any other Android tablet right now. Except that it lacks an SD card slot.

Also, will I be able to chat on skype with my family with nexus crxssi?
Yes. Again, that should work on most any Android tablet.

johnyguy#AC

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I have a few questions to ask you before deciding in buying a tablet. I can't decide between a google nexus 10 or a samsung note 10. I heard the nexus doesn't support Flash. I am not really good with things related to electronics. Can someone explain to me what not being able to have flash does? Will I be able to play little games or watch vid?os?

Also I would be using my tablet for things like going on facebook, read emails, watch some videos from time to time, take some pictures AND another reason why I want to buy one is I want to stay in touch with my family when I would be going on trips.

Which one between a nexus and a note is better for what I need it to do? :p
It has a flash in the back if that's what you asking.:p

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I heard the nexus doesn't support Flash. I am not really good with things related to electronics. Can someone explain to me what not being able to have flash does? Will I be able to play little games or watch vid?os?

Since it seems that no one here wants to tell you, I will say it: Adobe has announced that it will no longer be developing Flash for mobile devices. That's why you cannot download Flash from the Play Store anymore. Whether or not you have Flash installed likely won't make much of a difference in your experience now or in the future.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Since it seems that no one here wants to tell you, I will say it: Adobe has announced that it will no longer be developing Flash for mobile devices. That's why you cannot download Flash from the Play Store anymore. Whether or not you have Flash installed likely won't make much of a difference in your experience now or in the future.

Strange, let's review my previous comment: "Flash is on the way out, so many sites are starting to offer javascript/ajax/etc alternatives."

And just because Adobe is no longer developing it, doesn't mean there aren't sites that still use it (there are many, many).

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
And what is a SD card for? Is it to put more memory?

You can't add "memory" to any phone or tablet. You can add storage, however, if the device has an SD slot. In such a case, you can purchase an SD card and insert it into the device. This can be used to store music, video, pictures, and other such media (or apps too on older devices). In many devices the micro-SD slot is not convenient to get to and is not really designed to be swapped in and out regularly like you would with a card reader for your camera. The Nexus 4, 7, and 10 devices, unfortunately, have no SD slot.

Speaking of which, you should theoretically be able to connect the camera via USB cable and pull the photos off onto the tablet using PTP. Not a high demand for that, so I have not seen that in a posting yet.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Strange, let's review my previous comment: "Flash is on the way out, so many sites are starting to offer javascript/ajax/etc alternatives."

And just because Adobe is no longer developing it, doesn't mean there aren't sites that still use it (there are many, many).

Your simply saying "Flash is on the way out, so..." is not the same as my saying that Adobe has stopped developing Flash for mobile devices.

And I never said anything about whether or not many sites were still using Flash.

Sorry, but the only thing that is strange seems to be your level of reading comprehension.

And, honestly, for most people whether or not they have Flash installed doesn't make much of a negative impact in their mobile device experience. Legions of iOS users are a testament to that.

Thanks.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Your simply saying "Flash is on the way out, so..." is not the same as my saying that Adobe has stopped developing Flash for mobile devices.

Indeed it is not, but your arrogant-sounding post implied that nobody was sharing the fact that Flash is a dying platform, and I did.

Sorry, but the only thing that is strange seems to be your level of reading comprehension.
Nor did I insult you. But I guess this post will help rectify that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ummm..lots of sites and games iphone users still can't access because they don't have flash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ummm..lots of sites and games iphone users still can't access because they don't have flash.

Yep. It is actually Apple's refusal to allow Flash that created so much pressure that caused the whole Flash ecosystem to really start to fail (of course, it was failing for other reasons too, but Apple really pushed it over the edge in a big way).

Ironically, I like Flash because it was easy to BLOCK when necessary. One click on the "Flashblock" addon icon and most annoying stuff just goes bye-bye (combined with disabling animated GIFs). Now it is impossible (or incredibly impractical) to weed out the extremely annoying and distracting animation on sites because they are NOT using Flash to do it anymore. The only open is to disable Javascript, which breaks just about everything else along with the annoying stuff. Sometimes clicking on the "JSoff" addon icon to turn it off then turn it right back on again will end some of it without ruining the site.

I do hope browser designers will start to somehow give control back to the end user when it comes to animation.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not happy we can't just download it from the Play Store since so much stuff still requires flash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm not happy we can't just download it from the Play Store since so much stuff still requires flash.

Well, you found the right place. Any number of us can send you (or anyone else) the Flash .apk if necessary (I have done so for others several times already). I posted it before, but AC's search won't find it. I am attaching it here, again. Maybe it will last a while...

Make sure you allow "unknown sources" in settings->security, first. Then click on the attachment in your Android device's browser, it will download and place a notification. Click on the notification and it will ask if you want to install it, do so. Then launch a Flash-aware browser such as Firefox and it should be Flash-enabled.

I also recommend saving off this apk attachment on a desktop/laptop computer for future access in case it is lost on the tablet/phone.

Attachments

• flash-android-2012-11.apk
    4.5 MB · Views: 632

GoldenEagle06

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My dad got one for christmas. His complaint was that he couldn't get flash to work. I was able to load the apk file and load it with no problem. It wouldn't work with the stock chrome browser, but I loaded up Boat Browser and has been good to go.