The flaws of the Nexus 10

Miss Elayn

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Found this on Wikipedia. I would like to know what users of the Nexus 10 say about it before I'm buying one for myself.

Commentators noted the lack of expandable storage options, absence of cellular connectivity, low color contrast and saturation, poor battery life, and limited selection of tablet-optimized Android apps, while praising the Nexus 10's high display resolution, powerful, high-performance processor and contemporary user interface.

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Lack of expandable storage - buy the 32GB version and or connect a flash drive through USB OTG cable
Absence of cellular connectivity - I have no desire to have this function. My GS3 is my mobile device, if I absolutely need the tablet it takes 5 seconds to fire up FoxFi and tether
Low color contrast and saturation - the colors definitely are not super saturated (which is odd for a Samsung display) but its still a great display
Poor battery life - That is up for debate, I have been pleased so far. Does one hour less than an iPad really qualify it as "poor battery life"??
Limited Apps - this is true right now, but it will certainly change at a rapid pace

Miss Elayn

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your answer mpower13. The memory and the cellular connectivity doesn't really bother me either. It's the low color contrast and saturation that bothers me. I thought that with that much pixels the colors would be great?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Found this on Wikipedia. I would like to know what users of the Nexus 10 say about it before I'm buying one for myself.

Sounds fairly accurate. My #1 complaint about the Nexus 10 (and 7) is the lack of an SD slot. An alternative #1 complaint would be the lack of a 64GB version. I don't understand the contrast/saturation comment, to me it looks FANTASTIC; screen is amazing. Battery life is good, but could always be better in any device, no? It has great performance and a quality design.

Cell connectivity? I guess some people might want that... I have zero interest. If you want that, then just get tethering on your phone, it is likely to be less expensive in the end.... worst case about the same price.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Lack of expandable storage - buy the 32GB version and or connect a flash drive through USB OTG cable
32GB is not enough for me and having a slow, dangling flash drive is hardly a solution. They really screwed up on this (at least to me).

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The memory and the cellular connectivity doesn't really bother me either.

You mean "storage". It has 2GB of memory, which is plenty for any Android device. Unless you want to store lots of local music and video (which is what I like to do), 32GB of storage should be plenty- depends on how you want to use it.

It's the low color contrast and saturation that bothers me. I thought that with that much pixels the colors would be great?
The colors ARE great. It looks like reality, not some fake, over-saturated OLED display. So I guess if one is used to inaccurate, over-blown color from inferior displays, he/she will be a little surprised.

Miss Elayn

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha sorry about the ''memory'' thing crxssi. I am not particularly good in english so I translate word for word from french where there's the RAM memory and the storage memory! I was talking about the storage. I am happy to hear that the colors are great! Now the only thing, I agree, is that there's no SD card slot! I would have liked to be able to put pictures directly from my camera to the tablet!

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I really like mine.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356663207124.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356663207124.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 161

VKM2F

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I would have to concur with the complaint regarding colour contrast and saturation. Photos that I've edited on my colour calibrated desktop do tend to look a bit flat and dull on the Nexus 10. The screen is great and this issue certainly isn't a deal breaker for me, but I wouldn't use it as a portfolio for my work.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hahaha sorry about the ''memory'' thing crxssi. I am not particularly good in english so I translate word for word from french where there's the RAM memory and the storage memory! I was talking about the storage.

No big whoop. A lot of native English speakers get that wrong too... and it doesn't help with all the false marketing drivel out there too. In computers, "memory" has *always* meant "RAM".

I am happy to hear that the colors are great! Now the only thing, I agree, is that there's no SD card slot! I would have liked to be able to put pictures directly from my camera to the tablet!

Like I said, there MIGHT be a way of using PTP with a cable to do that. Otherwise, getting the pictures on there is pretty easy using AirDroid, once you put the pictures on your main computer. I can see where it would be nicer if you wanted to review them on a big screen in the field (before you go home).

See these:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...GwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5ybXMuYXBiIl0&token=OIv2eUgd.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.dslr.dashboard&hl=en&token=bN7t5m-f
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rl&feature=more_from_developer&token=ye07jJlG

I can't find anything definitive on the Nexus 10. This would make a nice new thread...

The other option is to use an external card reader with a USB OTG cable connected to the Nexus 10 and something like these:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...importer&feature=search_result&token=WNefKSCe..
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...er&feature=more_from_developer&token=csWDNQ41..

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I ran the test again... better score! ↖(^▽^)↗

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356673873743.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356673873743.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 80

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the color saturation isn't as good as other Samsung displays and clearly not a match for iPad Retina display. I have seen the comparisons many times with my own eyes. Long charge time sucks, I do not care about adding flash memory. Camera is just ok! The lack of tablet optimized apps is my biggest complaint. I have seen some updates, but nothing like I thought would happen. Devs just seem very slow to jump on the android tablet bandwagon. Last but not least the battery life I have experienced has simply not lived up to what Google said it would. Many threads about poor battery life so I am not alone.

I like the display crispness, really appreciate the front facing speakers. Lower price point is good. I am on my 2nd N10 the first one froze up and rebooted several times a day. This one has too, but I have not updated to 4.2.1. I awaiting the next version cause 4.2.1 brought lots of issues. Google did a crappy job testing it. Also google support / customer service is pathetic.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Storage wise-my house is networked so I don't need loads of local space.
Cell-I use my phone for my phone not my tablet.
Display-looks absolutely stunning to me.
Battery wise-I'm getting 10+hours out of it with constant new user Christmas use. Should be great when I only use it on the sofa after work.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the color saturation isn't as good as other Samsung displays and clearly not a match for iPad Retina display. I have seen the comparisons many times with my own eyes.
I have not made any direct comparisons, but stand-alone, it looks great to me

Long charge time sucks
Huge batteries take a long time to charge. But more importantly, the Nexus 10 uses standard USB charging- which is WONDERFUL! POGO options for faster charging will be available soon.

Camera is just ok!
I doubt any other tablet has a better camera.

Also google support / customer service is pathetic.
That is for sure. They have no idea how to retail something tangible, properly.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Storage wise-my house is networked so I don't need loads of local space.
Cell-I use my phone for my phone not my tablet.
Display-looks absolutely stunning to me.
Battery wise-I'm getting 10+hours out of it with constant new user Christmas use. Should be great when I only use it on the sofa after work.

My thoughts, exactly.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
My biggest complaint so far is the constant crashing of Google Chrome. It baffles me that their own browser works about 75% of the time on their own tablet. I know there will be bugs and glitches in software and hardware, but it is very discouraging to see that this issue has not been addressed promptly.

Secondly, the battery is just alright. I really only use my tablet to scroll through my twitter feeds and Flipboard. I removed a few apps and seemed to have increased my battery life by about 1 hour. I'm not sure if those apps were draining the battery in standby mode or what, but it seems to be improving. I'm not overly concerned about the inability to upgrade storage as I use my Dropbox account that has about 17gbs of available space on it. So with the 32gb version (roughly 28gbs, actually) and the 17gbs of space on Dropbox for pictures & files I see it as if I have about 45gbs of space. Which is good enough for me!