My thoughts on the Nexus 10, coming from the iPad 3...

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
So, I ended up purchasing a Nexus 10 a week ago to play around with, in hopes of replacing my iPad 3. Here are a few of my observations, as a long-time Apple user and (overall) Apple fan, coming to Android via the Samsung Galaxy Note II, Nexus 4, and Nexus 10...

- I really enjoy Android 4.2. It seems really contemporary compared to the stale, boring iOS, which is essentially the app drawer of any Android version past Gingerbread (which is when the app drawer was established? I am not sure, as I'm pretty new to Android). Lockscreen widgets are really cool, even if it seems like the execution was a bit half-baked (why can't I split up the screen to have both Google+ and new mail? Especially given the screen real estate of a 10 inch tablet, it seems like a wasted opportunity). Although this is trivial, I am addicted to live wallpapers. Widgets in general are awesome, and while Microsoft's live tile idea seems like a better solution to the problem of non-demand (get it? As in, getting your info when you don't demand it by going into the app... anyways) information streaming, it kind of sucked on the Lumia 920 I had before returning it as it barely worked properly.

- Holding the N10 in portrait, as I tend to do with any tablet, is not as awkward as I had imagined. It does seem tangibly larger than the iPad when holding it in either portrait or landscape mode, which is a plus over the Surface (which, in my opinion, is basically not usable in portrait mode). However, it seems that Google intends for the primary use of the tablet to be in landscape, hence the branding of the tablet on the back as well as the front-facing camera location. This is not a knock, per se, against the tablet as the branding must be placed either landscape or portrait (as you know, Apple has emphasized portrait in tis regard; most likely due to their usage of the 4:3 ratio rather than the 16:10 of the Nexus 10, making it more like holding a piece of paper).

- Although the N10 does not have the perfect, A4 paper ratio that the iPad has, reading books from Google Play is enjoyable on the N10. The N10 feels lighter than the iPad, making it more comfortable to hold during long reading durations; in addition, the soft-touch plastic that Samsung used feels great. I'm not one to knock against something that uses plastic if it feels nice (to me, the HTC Droid DNA, Lumia 920, and the 8X all feel great in the hand and are made with plastic). It provides great grip and doesn't feel as cold as aluminum, like the iPad.

- However, when placing it in portrait, the volume rocker does not work as one would expect when changing the volume. Again, I really can't knock the N10 for this as the iPad has the same problems when changing the position (turning it to landscape causes a reversal of what would appear to be standard increasing/decreasing volume level). It seems that one has to pick a "primary" position, be it landscape or portrait, and stick with it (Apple designed primarily in portrait, and for the N10 Google chose landscape to be the primary use mode).

- One RIDICULOUSLY GIANT problem: the N10 constantly. reboots. itself. I am aware that this is a widespread issue, but no proposed fix from the internet appears to help my situation. Last night, the tablet was basically unusable due to the diminished time between reboots (in once instance, it was only a minute between separate reboots). When it reboots, in fact, it may take multiple tries to boot back into Android 4.2 (example: Google appears on the screen, Nexus logo appears...beeeeep... Google appears again, Nexus logo appears again...beeeep.... etc). It is, quite frankly, ridiculous. No Apple product has given me what appears to be untested software. I'm not sure what type of testing Google does for Android releases, but if I am paying $500 for a device I don't want to feel like a beta tester. I understand it comes with the Nexus territory, and that Google is probably working on a fix, but seriously? Is this going to happen every time I accept an OTA update from Google?

- In terms of tablet app optimization, nothing appeared to really stick out to me. I definitely get the sense that iOS apps are more polished than their Android counterparts, which is unfortunate... As an Android user, I do not want to feel like a second-class citizen in tablet land. But, with the initial sales from the holiday showing that once again, the iPad put out a very strong showing, can this situation ever change? In essence, it appears that one trades Apple's walled garden for an open playground at Google, but a playground with slightly rusty toys compared to the few that remain in the garden. If that makes any sense...

- Build quality of the N10 is not up to Apple standards, as is to be expected. That definitely seems like an area Apple will win every time. Why, though? Why can't an Android tablet be built to Apple standards? The Nexus 7 that I had before returning it for the N10 was nice, but felt like a toy compared to the iPad mini. Combining this with the fact that I went through four Nexus 7 units before finally giving up and returning it (and not exchanging it), with each one having it's own hardware issue, I can't help but feel that Apple consistently puts out high-quality, if overpriced, hardware. However, the build quality is decent. Like I stated earlier, the injection-molded plastic feels great in your hands. I did get a unit that had some hardware blemishes, such as a raised area on back plastic where it meets the dimpled plastic (which, unfortunately, i can feel every time I hold it in portrait) and uneven glass sealing (the bottom left corner doesn't appear to be fit as tightly to the plastic frame as the rest of the glass, causing it to feel a bit lopsided unfortunately). Since this is not as widespread as the N7 issues, I'm confident that an exchange for another unit at Walmart (sigh... if they have any left) can give me a flawless unit. The Nexus 4, on the other hand, reminds me of an Apple product in terms of its build quality.

- Battery life: no complaints. In regular use, it appears to last about as long as the iPad 3. However, standby battery draining is where the iPad remains king. I could go without turning on my iPad for multiple days and only taken a small hit in battery life. This does not appear to hold true for the N10, but in terms of screen-on time, they appear to be even.

- I do like the screen of the N10 better than the retina display of the iPad, but I feel like this has to do with the display technology more than the resolution; the two appear to be equally matched in that regard when using each at a normal distance away from my face. My iPad 3 screen would turn an unsightly shade of pink when used in direct sunlight, while the N10 does not display this. I'm not sure if my iPad 3 screen was unique in this quality, though. Everything on the N10 screen pops and is crystal clear. The screen of the iPad, however, appears to be under a coating of glass (yes, this sounds obvious as it is under a sheet of glass, but compared to the iPhone 5, Nexus 4 and Nexus 10, where images appear to be right on the glass instead of under it).

Overall, the N10 is a great tablet. I really enjoy it, if that wasn't apparent in my quasi-review. I'm still on the fence on which one I want to keep, though. The Nexus 10 dazzles in terms of feeling like something that is... more capable, I suppose, than the iPad. In terms of tinkering with it and such. But that is an Android vs. iOS issue. I absolutely love the Nexus 4, and I feel like Android is my OS of choice on a phone. On a tablet, however, I feel the decision is much murkier in terms of developer support. Not to mention, the price differential between an iPad 4 and N10 is minimized given the breadth of acessories, optimized apps, and build quality. On the other hand, I hate to feel chained to Apple due to what appears to be a preference for the iPad by the masses. I was hoping by writing this, I could make the decision more clear to me, but I think it just made it worse. :confused:

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Look at where the ipad came from from the first generation to the third. I think subsequent versions of the nexus will obviously only improve. There are other choices for Android tablets, a lot of people like the Sammy tabs.

Never had a problem with the n7 and loved it over the way over priced ipad mini.

As far as apps are concerned I'm not really seeing the polished difference that Apple fan boys like to claim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

cpc464freak

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel the decision is much murkier in terms of developer support

You make this statement with no real justification.

As an iOS and Android developer, my own experience is that their is no comparison, Android is miles ahead IMHO. The open-source aspect of the development process together with not being forced(Apple hardware and XCode) to use certain hardware and software to compile your projects is a relief to put it mildly.

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

As an iOS and Android developer, my own experience is that their is no comparison, Android is miles ahead IMHO. The open-source aspect of the development process together with not being forced(Apple hardware and XCode) to use certain hardware and software to compile your projects is a relief to put it mildly.

So, is it NOT true that most developers, yourself excluded, begin new development on iOS first? As a developer, would you be more willing to start new development for an operating system that the majority of users are on (iOS 6), with a smaller amount of hardware to worry about, with a larger captive audience that is more willing to pay up for their apps? Even though it may be more difficult to code your applications for iOS, do you have to really worry about the number of Android devices that are not going to support your work? Due to my lack of experience with Android, I'm not sure if this has already occurred, but what I would like to see is any possible delay between iOS and Android app releases shorten and for those apps to be tablet-ready from day one. From my experience with the iPad, it seemed as though any time a new app was released on the App Store, it would be ready for the high-res iPad screen. Of course, this also has to do with the high adoption rate of the iPad versus Android tablets.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

As an Android fan I am really, really trying to agree with this statement, but can't.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
MM625, your post is right on. I couldn't have summed it up any better. Thank you!

I've been chastised in other threads for stating my issues with the freezing and rebooting (you just like to whine) and are only here to defend Apple. BS, I bought a Nexus 10 and while I have had iPad's (God forbid you mention anything good about an iPad as you are already suspect) I have nothing but praise for the Nexus 10 and really plan to keep it. Every turn I've had with Google support their only suggestion to me was we can give you and RMA. No, how about you tell me you are aware of this issue (instead of saying this is the first you are hearing about it) and make some suggestions that may work to solve the problem. Telling a new Nexus 10 owner that the only solution that Google support has is an RMA isn't a solution, that is throwing away a customer.

Again I do appreciate the time you took to write up this very well presented summary.

bru87tr

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am lucky. After doing my two updates from srock I had a reboot in the first half hour and another a day later. It has been weeks and I have not had one since. Not sure why either.

I have GPS and NFC off and that is it. Everything else is running and I am running most aops others are.

I am stock.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the N10 is a great tablet if I didn't make that clear in my summary. I just sold my iPad, so I've decided to go all in with the Android ecosystem. I can't get a replacement from Google since I didn't purchase on the play store, unfortunately, so I have to go troll Walmarts in my general area lol. However, because it seems that people are having varying ranges of rebooting issues, perhaps it is a combination of software and hardware problems? A couple nights ago, the rebooting was so bad that the tablet was, for all intents and purposes, unusable. That is a big problem for Google, in which the average Walmart shopper who bought the tablet because it was a but cheaper than the iPad could very well return it due to these problems and may not be so understanding as the people on this board. It's not like I've installed anything, software wise, that could be responsible for the crashes, as I have just been using stock Android. No rooting or tinkering of any sort, and I tend to use Google apps the most. Location services are off, and the problem still occurs.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
- However, when placing it in portrait, the volume rocker does not work as one would expect when changing the volume.

I've read on these forums the backward volume rocker is a Samsung thing

- One RIDICULOUSLY GIANT problem: the N10 constantly. reboots. itself. I am aware that this is a widespread issue, but no proposed fix from the internet appears to help my situation. Last night, the tablet was basically unusable due to the diminished time between reboots (in once instance, it was only a minute between separate reboots). When it reboots, in fact, it may take multiple tries to boot back into Android 4.2 (example: Google appears on the screen, Nexus logo appears...beeeeep... Google appears again, Nexus logo appears again...beeeep.... etc). It is, quite frankly, ridiculous. No Apple product has given me what appears to be untested software. I'm not sure what type of testing Google does for Android releases, but if I am paying $500 for a device I don't want to feel like a beta tester. I understand it comes with the Nexus territory, and that Google is probably working on a fix, but seriously? Is this going to happen every time I accept an OTA update from Google?

This greatly concerns me. I think the longest boot up I have had has been 30 seconds. I average in the 20 second range. This souds like a serious issue to me.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
A couple nights ago, the rebooting was so bad that the tablet was, for all intents and purposes, unusable. That is a big problem for Google, in which the average Walmart shopper who bought the tablet because it was a but cheaper than the iPad could very well return it due to these problems and may not be so understanding as the people on this board. It's not like I've installed anything, software wise, that could be responsible for the crashes, as I have just been using stock Android. No rooting or tinkering of any sort, and I tend to use Google apps the most. Location services are off, and the problem still occurs.

Another valid concern. People that purchase them at retail that do not have them in stock for an exchange. Will they go through support or just go get there money back? Some may even end up with a competing product.

Like yours mine is stock and the problem is hit and miss sometimes not as bad as other times. I am very concerned. I get this is a new product and issues arise, but I just believe Google dropped the ball big time with the release of 4.2.1. One thing for sure when it's not freezing and rebooting it is a fantastic tablet.

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it doesn't look good when their flagship tablet has issues running on the updated operating system it was meant to introduce. However, my Nexus 4 runs 4.2 flawlessly. If I can't track down a Walmart that has another in stock I may return it and wait for the play store to restock.

Also: has anyone noticed how much of a fingerprint magnet this is? I mean, it looks like I handled it with multiple pieces of bacon whenever I use it for longer than a few minutes. I'm not sure if there is an oleophobic coating on the glass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have had GPS and NFC turned off from the start, I do not allow Google locations/services to track anything. My N10 has never rebooted itself, the only crash I have had so far has been the occasional Chrome crash. While this can happen repeatedly, last night it happened 3-4 times in a row. However a simple reboot solved the issue. I am confident in Googles ability and desire to fix this issue. If it gets too bad I will simply switch to Firefox until Chrome is fixed.

The N10 is a true beast in every sense of the term, and I am certain that Apple is also paying attention. Competition is the true innovator...

cpc464freak

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The N10 is a true beast in every sense of the term, and I am certain that Apple is also paying attention. Competition is the true innovator...

Yes, the only real winner is the consumer when these battles takes place. :)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I've read on these forums the backward volume rocker is a Samsung thing
I just tried it and it works as normal for me in both landscape and portrait.

This greatly concerns me. I think the longest boot up I have had has been 30 seconds. I average in the 20 second range. This souds like a serious issue to me.

Never had a single reboot either so it might be an uncommon bug or I just got really lucky.

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I ended up switching to Firefox after my umpteenth reboot today. Hopefully disabling chrome and not opening it will prevent more reboots from occurring, if that is indeed where the problem lies.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I ended up switching to Firefox after my umpteenth reboot today. Hopefully disabling chrome and not opening it will prevent more reboots from occurring, if that is indeed where the problem lies.

I use Dolphin HD. Never had any problems.

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Also: has anyone noticed how much of a fingerprint magnet this is? I mean, it looks like I handled it with multiple pieces of bacon whenever I use it for longer than a few minutes. I'm not sure if there is an oleophobic coating on the glass.

I put a screen protector on it and the smudged screen went away.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it and it works as normal for me in both landscape and portrait.

Really?? So, with the tablet in portrait, the volume rocker is on the upper right side of the Nexus 10. Then if you press the top of the rocker the volume INCREASES and if you press it fown it DECREASES?

With my Nexus 10 in the above mentioned orientation pressing up DECREASES the volume and pressing DOWN increases [VERY counter intuitive]