Why isn't Netflix HD?

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok i been watching alot of netflix on my tablet due to the fact my sister has been using my tv alot. Well lately I've been wondering why is the quality so average. When I click quality, I get only get a choice of either low or high and there is no HD option even if its available in HD. I also notice ever couple minutes the video flashes like a random scene or picture while playing. The flash is usually so fast you never know what it is or from what part of the show. This is the second Nexus 10 bought in a different city so i know it's not just me.

bru87tr

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If you let it play a while' the quality will get better and kind of 720p. :)

I think it looks really good, but it isn't true HD of course. But very nice.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
many providers throttle Netfix since they use huge amount of data. One reason why netflix is not providing HD would be for the same reason.
they are maintaing some balance.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I think its because phones just hit 720p as the standard in mid 2012 so they are to reluctant to make the app HD due to about 10-20% devices are only HD.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I swear I read something here [Android central main site] or on Gizmodo about netflix detecting the data stream and then streaming you the best image the your connection can sustain. Just curious do you see any difference if you watch via a browser instead of the app.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Well you can't watch it in the browser because when u click on a video it brings up system requirements of windows. You can choose your video quality in the app but its only low or high and I have a 30mb connection but I can tell its not hd. Like if i played on my mid range 2 year old flat screen, everything is more vivid, but on the tablet its good but clearly lacking in HD.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I meant to try testing this in myself in various browsers Yesterday but I got sidetracked resloving mac flitering virtual mac addresses between my router and range extender [Have to be able to carry my N!0 throughout the house and have a good signal ;) ]

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok i been watching alot of netflix on my tablet due to the fact my sister has been using my tv alot. Well lately I've been wondering why is the quality so average. When I click quality, I get only get a choice of either low or high and there is no HD option even if its available in HD. I also notice ever couple minutes the video flashes like a random scene or picture while playing. The flash is usually so fast you never know what it is or from what part of the show. This is the second Nexus 10 bought in a different city so i know it's not just me.

Given all the problems that Netflix is having with getting current movies, tv shows and etc., I'm surprised they are still in business.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Given all the problems that Netflix is having with getting current movies, tv shows and etc., I'm surprised they are still in business.

Ironically, I use Netflix because they don't have current/up-to-date material. It's usually the B-rated films that are so tacky, awful, and downright despicable that I end up watching the most on Netflix - just to have something to laugh at.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Netflix isn't that bad. The have Burn Notice, White Collar, Nikita, Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs, American Dad,.Cleveland Show, Myth Busters, Psych, Raising Hope, Doll House, Doctor Who, and the list goes on and on. In fact their in the green this quarter and doing better than ever. They even started deleting some of their crappier movie/shows the afford better shows and newer seasons.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yet, even with that because of the contracts they are in, they do not receive the new releases and actually have to wait for them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yet, even with that because of the contracts they are in, they do not receive the new releases and actually have to wait for them.

Couldn't you chalk that up more to studios wanting to hold back streaming releases vs. physical disc releases though?

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
IMO Netflix just isnt there yet with there mobile apps. Typically it will be used on a device with such a small screen HD quality isnt required. I dont notice better quality in any mobile streaming app (hbo go, showtime, cinamax, etc) except youtube and imo thats absolutely terrible as there servers are generally too slow to support HD quality. The first thing I do when watching a youtube vid is turn off HD so the thing wont buffer every 5 seconds..

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Netflix just concluded a with Disney not too long ago. It won't be in full effect til 2014 becuase they ahve to wait for some of Disney's existing deals to expire. taht said when I was looking at the streaming content last night, there is a boat load of new [to Netflix] Disney media.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Just found out something interesting though. If your playing Netflix on your PS3 and you launch the Netflix app and click a video on your tablet, you get a option for PS3 and your netflix app turns into a netflix remote. So cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781