Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which keyboard is best?

Has anyone tried Swiftkey 3 for tablets or any other keyboard for that matter? How do they compare to the native keyboard?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by Keith Patrick; 01-01-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

Default Re: Which keyboard is best?

I have SwiftKey Tablet Keyboard and can't get along without it. I tried Flow, but not as important on tablets. I don't like swiping on a 10" screen.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2

before Jelly bean i downloaded many third party keyboard. Android keyboard was not that great at that time.
    with JB 4.1-4.2 they brought prediction. sliding etc. the prediction and the sliding is very accurate and has improved a lot. it will only get better with next release.
    so, i dropped all third party keyboards and now am using android keyboard.
    KJ

I migrated to the Nexus 10 from the Xoom Wi-Fi and tried a number of keyboards along the way. My favorite and the one I keep coming back to is Swype Beta (you can sign up and download it from their website for free). You can shrink the keyboard down to a third of the screen and Swype with one thumb while holding the device with your other 9 fingers. It's very comfortable, quick and easy way to "type."

I'm on the fence about Swiftkey for tablets. How much different is it than the phone version? (I'm currently running the free trial of that)

Check out the keyboard info here.

mostly-tech.com/2012/11/17/nexus-10-tips-and-tricks/

Go keyboard for sure. Its free, highly rated, and the predictions are just amazing. You have to change settings after download. Switch to 10 inch pad mode so it splits the keyboard in landscape then turn off auto correct so it doesn't auto fix stuff, just suggest the correct word.

I still prefer the stock one. I don't know why though lol....

I've stayed on stock. It's taken some time, but I've adjusted fully to its predictive text and gesture typing.

Go keyboard is like a full version of swift key 3 and its 100% free. I feel like they stole it but it works just as good and both have been around for years so its hard to say who is in the right.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I appreciate all the suggestions guys. I have the paid version of Swiftkey 3 for my S3 and I love it. I just don't know if it is any better than the native keyboard.

I have swiftkey on my phone, on my Nexus 10 I use Thumb Keyboard, great keyboard only thing to make it perfect is the predictive text.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Patrick View Post
    I appreciate all the suggestions guys. I have the paid version of Swiftkey 3 for my S3 and I love it. I just don't know if it is any better than the native keyboard.

I use SwiftKey 3 for tablets as well and I like how they have it split so you can use just your thumbs. Best keyboard for both phones and tablets IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    I use SwiftKey 3 for tablets as well and I like how they have it split so you can use just your thumbs. Best keyboard for both phones and tablets IMO.

Is it split in landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by Heelsandeers View Post
    Is it split in landscape?

Yup.

I like the stock one but may try something else soon.

Just downloaded swift key. Im really liking it so far

xlDeMoNiClx likes this.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    I migrated to the Nexus 10 from the Xoom Wi-Fi and tried a number of keyboards along the way. My favorite and the one I keep coming back to is Swype Beta (you can sign up and download it from their website for free). You can shrink the keyboard down to a third of the screen and Swype with one thumb while holding the device with your other 9 fingers. It's very comfortable, quick and easy way to "type."
    What he said!

KJ likes this.

I like the stock keyboard, but the PC version of it.

Expand your keyboard Since the Nexus 10 has such a large screen you may want to expand to a full-sized PC-style keyboard that includes number keys and extras like the screenshot above has. Its tricky to set up, but worth it if you like to type in landscape mode. Go to Settings/Language & input and then touch the settings Sliders next to Android keyboard. Next, touch Advanced settings and touch Custom input styles. It will say Deutsch and Francais, but you can ignore that. Touch Add Style near the upper right. Then select your language and change the layout from QWERTY to PC or one of the other styles. Now touch Add and youll see your new style appear in the list. Touch Enable and use the back key to go back to the Language & input screen. Now touch Input languages near the top and uncheck Use system language. Lastly, touch English (US) (PC) and youre done. [Thanks to the guys at AndroidPIT for providing this tip.]

(courtsey 50 Great Tips & Tricks for the Nexus 10 Mostly-Tech)

This sequence is not correct for the N10 is it? I can only follow up to this point: touch the settings Sliders next to Android keyboard. I don't see Advanced settings?

I've spent time w/ the stock keyboard, Swiftkey 3, Go keyboard, and Thumb keyboard. I've settled on Thumb since it gives me so much customization options. You can switch the keyboard layout, edit swipe gestures, an abundance of hot keys, and so much more. The only complaint I had was that the word prediction keys were very small and I couldn't find an option to make them bigger. Overall, it's well worth the $1.29 it costs, I think that's a sale price.

ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

Thumb Keyboard for me... used it for 2 years with my Xoom. (I love swype-style keyboards on my phone but on my tablets, not so much).

Quote Originally Posted by Ripdroid View Post
    This sequence is not correct for the N10 is it? I can only follow up to this point: touch the settings Sliders next to Android keyboard. I don't see Advanced settings?

Go to Settings/Language & input and then touch the settings Sliders next to Android keyboard. [ A new screen should overlay the previous ] Next, touch Advanced settings [ this should be at the bottom of the screen under the heading "other options" ]
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I ended up getting SwiftKey 3 and so far I like it. I really like the predictive text feature. I might get thumb to compare. Once again guys thanks so much.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by silentagenda View Post
    I've stayed on stock. It's taken some time, but I've adjusted fully to its predictive text and gesture typing.
    I love the stock keyboard and have even ended up installing it on my S3. I'm using the PC version on nexus10.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast