Ok to turn device off every night to charge?

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
My thinking is that this balancing is done by some circuits in the tablet, not the wall wart, since there aren't enough wires from the wall wart to do anything intelligent with multiple cells. But I think it would be a flawed design to require the tablet to be on in order for this balancing to take place.
Balancing is usually done only during charging. It would use dedicated analog circuits and wouldn't require the tablet to be powered on.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, some of us have to work in a business world where Windows is the only option.

Fortunately, I can speak not only as a home Linux & Android user, but as a business world one, also. I do so in a 400 employee, $24mil organization and lead their I.T. and we use Linux almost exclusively. We are certainly not typical, and it is not without challenges. But there are some significant rewards to being atypical, as such.

Rebooting is necessary for most people.

I do feel for them ;)

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
And hell, it doesn't matter if we reboot our Nexus 10. It will do that on it's own.

Lol, funny. My uptime has been quite impressive, thus far.

As for rebooting on a Windows platform, if you run checks (or create cronjobs, for the super geek) you won't have to reboot for anything. Messing around with programs in such a manner will clog up the registry; which can easily be checked, cleared, and continue to move on. On a Linux/Android environment, there isn't a registry and it can handle such changes on-the-fly. If you want to reboot, reboot. Technically, you won't ever really HAVE to. But, to do so, is your own decision.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Lol, funny. My uptime has been quite impressive, thus far.

As for rebooting on a Windows platform, if you run checks (or create cronjobs, for the super geek) you won't have to reboot for anything. Messing around with programs in such a manner will clog up the registry; which can easily be checked, cleared, and continue to move on. On a Linux/Android environment, there isn't a registry and it can handle such changes on-the-fly. If you want to reboot, reboot. Technically, you won't ever really HAVE to. But, to do so, is your own decision.

Your lucky if your nexus isn't rebooting or freezing itself.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Your lucky if your nexus isn't rebooting or freezing itself.

My Nexus doesn't freeze or reboot. The most problem I've had was when I used Chrome and System UI crashed. By the time the error came up, the service had already restarted itself and the system moved along as usual without an actual restart. I have pushed my Nexus hard enough to restart, once, just to see what kind of pressure it could tolerate. Impressed, I was. Had three high rendering games, 100 tabs on two browsers. 50 on another, several messaging apps, and IRC before it restarted itself.

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus has never rebooted itself either. For the first time yesterday I had to manually reboot it because I couldn't get the xfinity app to launch. Aside from that, I I have had zero freezing/rebooting problems.

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus doesn't freeze or reboot. The most problem I've had was when I used Chrome and System UI crashed. By the time the error came up, the service had already restarted itself and the system moved along as usual without an actual restart. I have pushed my Nexus hard enough to restart, once, just to see what kind of pressure it could tolerate. Impressed, I was. Had three high rendering games, 100 tabs on two browsers. 50 on another, several messaging apps, and IRC before it restarted itself.

I had hoped my freezing was the OS but you'd make it sound like hardware.

Should every one that has it crash a lot RMA it?

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Never turn off my Note 2 or 10.1 Note. The cache is automatically cleared daily. As for charging, the N2 throughout the day due to use and the 10.1 Note during the night.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I had hoped my freezing was the OS but you'd make it sound like hardware.

Should every one that has it crash a lot RMA it?

For all intents and purposes, we're fairly certain that it is an OS level issue, not hardware. But, you have to take in consideration that each of us are going to use our Nexus 10s differently. Whatever the specific bug is, I may have simply been avoiding it through my general behaviour while using mine. Which, personally, strikes me as odd; as I do pretty much everything you can do on a tablet. I game, video calls through Skype, surf webpages via browser, check Google Currents, read books through Google Play, listen to music via Winamp and Spotify, steam movies through Netflix and Crunchyroll, use remote assistance via TeamViewer to help friends, and so on.

Either way, as far as we know, it's near-official that the problem is with Android.

Heelsandeers

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I must say since I've stopped powering down every night, I have started to experience some freezing and rebooting problems. Coincidence? Doesn't seem like it.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I must say since I've stopped powering down every night, I have started to experience some freezing and rebooting problems. Coincidence? Doesn't seem like it.

May mean you're running processes in the background that are causing such issues. I do make sure that I only keep messenger programmes running in the background when I have it sleeping/charging.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That would be too much hassle for me. Powering down and up when it's charging is simpler, and it's quick.

Lol. Too much hassle? That's just loading up the multitasking screen and swiping away unnecessary browsers and opened programs. But, okay. :)
As I've said before, we're all going to have different styles of using the tablet and will experience different reactions from Android and the hardware due to it.

anonuk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
For all intents and purposes, we're fairly certain that it is an OS level issue, not hardware. But, you have to take in consideration that each of us are going to use our Nexus 10s differently. Whatever the specific bug is, I may have simply been avoiding it through my general behaviour while using mine. Which, personally, strikes me as odd; as I do pretty much everything you can do on a tablet. I game, video calls through Skype, surf webpages via browser, check Google Currents, read books through Google Play, listen to music via Winamp and Spotify, steam movies through Netflix and Crunchyroll, use remote assistance via TeamViewer to help friends, and so on.

Either way, as far as we know, it's near-official that the problem is with Android.

I've ended up using my tablet loads the last couple of days and its not frozen m once. So who knows...

johnyguy#AC

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I noticed some reason mine charges faster while on not turned of I checked this with a outlet timer setting the timer for the same time to shut off and I got more charge with tablet kept on.....have no idea why this happens anyone ?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps if you use something like MS-Windows.
All my machines are Linux and Android...

Unfortunately, some of us have to work in a business world where Windows is the only option. Rebooting is necessary for most people.

I work with both. Rebooting is definitely a way of life with Windows, but there have definitely been times when I've had to reboot my linux/unix/BSD servers as well, granted MUCH less often.

I find rebooting as great way to clear out the "gremlins and cobwebs", no matter what kind of system you are running. Although, if you've been running a Windows computer "for months" without rebooting, then I can only imagine that you're also run running without the latest security patches either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers