Screen Flicker on new nexus 10

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The only time I get screen flicker is lunching one certain game. Launching Final Fantasy III makes my screen strobe for half or quarter of a second. Nothing else does this. I use my tablet super heavy everyday. Have no other problems except i froze 3 times in the 30 days I've owned this tablet.

Yes, but have you tried WiFi Analyzer?

As for freezing and rebooting- I don't use the tablet a lot, and even I have had it freeze twice and spontaneously reboot on me several times. Sometimes I miss my Xoom.... it might have been much slower, thicker, and heavier, but it didn't have any of these issues.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
OK here is the link to my video. Forgive me, its the first video I've ever put on YouTube and I took it with my phone so its not perfect. You can see good screen anomalies at the 28 and 33 second marks and then another bunch right after the fifty second mark. Sorry, its got my family and the television being loud in the background so i would just turn your sound down. The "flickers" originally started occurring when switching between various screens and apps so I was trying to recreate that in the did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npAWDGN7sxw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

These look to be the same flickers that I was having. I loaded up Wifi Analyzer as well to see what would happen... After about 20 seconds in the app, the screen started flickering, although there were a lot more full screen flashes. I as well have never had the screen flicker on my home screen (currently using the lonely tree live wallpaper). Mostly my flickering occurs while looking at pictures in the gallery or in Currents, though it has also happened in facebook, google+ and a few other apps. It may well be a software issue, but Google still offered to replace the device so I'm going to take it.

I'm curious to know though, why more people are experiencing this problem (it it really is software related). The limited number of affected people leads me to think that it's hardware related, but who really knows.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to know though, why more people are experiencing this problem (it it really is software related). The limited number of affected people leads me to think that it's hardware related, but who really knows.

If the flicker shown in WiFi Analyzer is the same flicker, and this is an accurate way to force the problem, then all we know so far is that everyone who has tried it so far has shown the problem. Until we get more responses from other people, I can't draw much of any conclusion yet. I am hoping anyone reading this thread will test and add a post about it, especially people who have never seen flicker on their N10 before.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Location setting off. Ran Wi-Fi analyzer for the last 10 minutes. Saw no screen flash. Should I be in another app or stay in the Wi-Fi one?

Any particular screen I should be on? Bar graph? Line graph? Etc?

I do keep my brightness set low, could that be a factor?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Location setting off. Ran Wi-Fi analyzer for the last 10 minutes. Saw no screen flash. Should I be in another app or stay in the Wi-Fi one? Any particular screen I should be on? Bar graph? Line graph? Etc? I do keep my brightness set low, could that be a factor?

Well, normally it will happen just sitting on the arc graph for a few moments. I am not sure if anything else matters (like what other apps were run, brightness, other settings). Sounds like you did your part, but if you are curious, try it again in a few days.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Location setting off. Ran Wi-Fi analyzer for the last 10 minutes. Saw no screen flash. Should I be in another app or stay in the Wi-Fi one?

Any particular screen I should be on? Bar graph? Line graph? Etc?

I do keep my brightness set low, could that be a factor?

Just reran WiFi analyzer with location settings off like you did. Still got screen flashes within 10 seconds of the app being open. This occurs regardless of the other apps I have had open. I have not had screen flashes in other places since Monday, although yesterday it rebooted itself twice without warning (once while watching a YouTube video and once while playing a game). So far it seems like my flashes have been occurring on a weekly cycle, which I find a little strange. We'll see if they come back later this weekend/early next week.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I would like to update everyone on my situation: I received my replacement device today. I decided to set it up a little differently per some of the other threads (ie I booted the device and updated first before linking to my account, factory reset, then linked). After installing all my apps, I tried our little test with WiFi Analyzer. Wouldn't you know, within 5 seconds of starting the app the screen started flashing. We will have to wait and see for a couple days if I get any flickering in other apps but for now, I'm starting to lean towards this being a software issue. Also, my current N10 (the supposed defective one) has not had a screen flicker in a week now, though it has rebooted itself on a daily basis now and always while I'm in the middle of doing something.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I would like to update everyone on my situation: I received my replacement device today. I decided to set it up a little differently per some of the other threads (ie I booted the device and updated first before linking to my account, factory reset, then linked). After installing all my apps, I tried our little test with WiFi Analyzer. Wouldn't you know, within 5 seconds of starting the app the screen started flashing. We will have to wait and see for a couple days if I get any flickering in other apps but for now, I'm starting to lean towards this being a software issue. Also, my current N10 (the supposed defective one) has not had a screen flicker in a week now, though it has rebooted itself on a daily basis now and always while I'm in the middle of doing something.

Thanks for testing and letting us know. Keep us updated. I guess we can keep the ones we have and wait for more info on root problem and resolution.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for testing and letting us know. Keep us updated. I guess we can keep the ones we have and wait for more info on root problem and resolution.

Ya, that's what I would suggest right now. I probably won't ship my "defective" N10 back till later this week just so I can have the comparison in performance between the 2. If I get a significant reduction in reboots with the new one then I'm completely sold, although I have a feeling that pretty much all the problems I've had are software based.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ya, that's what I would suggest right now. I probably won't ship my "defective" N10 back till later this week just so I can have the comparison in performance between the 2. If I get a significant reduction in reboots with the new one then I'm completely sold, although I have a feeling that pretty much all the problems I've had are software based.

Even if there is a significant difference, it could still be software based on exactly what is installed and when. Without imaging/cloning the entire internal storage, it is almost impossible to have two "identical" tablets, unless you wipe both to factory and installed the exactly things on both, each thing in the same order, and all configured the same. Plus, for comparison, you would then have to use each one for same amount of time, doing all the exact same things. I expect we all have better things to do with our time :)

If they both tend to reboot and/or both tend to flicker, regardless of the frequency, I would be inclined to believe it is software (the OS or one of it's components). The only other possible explanation I can think of would be a "flaky" hardware problem- where something is varying in the specs causing it to show much more on some units, less on others, and perhaps not at all on different ones. One such example would be thermal variance failures. Another might be a slightly drifting clock crystal. That type of stuff. However, I just wouldn't expect that with higher end Samsung equipment.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Even if there is a significant difference, it could still be software based on exactly what is installed and when. Without imaging/cloning the entire internal storage, it is almost impossible to have two "identical" tablets, unless you wipe both to factory and installed the exactly things on both, each thing in the same order, and all configured the same. Plus, for comparison, you would then have to use each one for same amount of time, doing all the exact same things. I expect we all have better things to do with our time :)

If they both tend to reboot and/or both tend to flicker, regardless of the frequency, I would be inclined to believe it is software (the OS or one of it's components). The only other possible explanation I can think of would be a "flaky" hardware problem- where something is varying in the specs causing it to show much more on some units, less on others, and perhaps not at all on different ones. One such example would be thermal variance failures. Another might be a slightly drifting clock crystal. That type of stuff. However, I just wouldn't expect that with higher end Samsung equipment.

I will definitely keep that all in mind going forward. Hopefully all will be fine with the replacement (or Google releases a fix soonish, haha) because yes, we all have better things to do with our time.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Quick update for those of you still struggling with this problem: it's been 2 weeks since I got my replacement. I've had 0 screen flickers (except for the force ones through wifi analyzer). I've also only had the tablet freeze and lock up once, which was during a game. Chrome has given me no issues.

So, while I believe now that the root of these problems is most likely software related, there has to be some hardware component that increases or decreases the frequency of the issues.

bffhusker

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I had called in for replacement for lockup issues. Waiting for new device, started getting lines/flicker/freezing up. Glad replacement is on the way.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I've only noticed screen flicker in one game. Everything else has booted up smoothly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs