Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Screen Flicker on new nexus 10

Location setting off. Ran Wi-Fi analyzer for the last 10 minutes. Saw no screen flash. Should I be in another app or stay in the Wi-Fi one?

Any particular screen I should be on? Bar graph? Line graph? Etc?

I do keep my brightness set low, could that be a factor?
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
    Thanked by 2:
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Location setting off. Ran Wi-Fi analyzer for the last 10 minutes. Saw no screen flash. Should I be in another app or stay in the Wi-Fi one? Any particular screen I should be on? Bar graph? Line graph? Etc? I do keep my brightness set low, could that be a factor?
    Well, normally it will happen just sitting on the arc graph for a few moments. I am not sure if anything else matters (like what other apps were run, brightness, other settings). Sounds like you did your part, but if you are curious, try it again in a few days.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Location setting off. Ran Wi-Fi analyzer for the last 10 minutes. Saw no screen flash. Should I be in another app or stay in the Wi-Fi one?

Any particular screen I should be on? Bar graph? Line graph? Etc?

I do keep my brightness set low, could that be a factor?
    Just reran WiFi analyzer with location settings off like you did. Still got screen flashes within 10 seconds of the app being open. This occurs regardless of the other apps I have had open. I have not had screen flashes in other places since Monday, although yesterday it rebooted itself twice without warning (once while watching a YouTube video and once while playing a game). So far it seems like my flashes have been occurring on a weekly cycle, which I find a little strange. We'll see if they come back later this weekend/early next week.

I would like to update everyone on my situation: I received my replacement device today. I decided to set it up a little differently per some of the other threads (ie I booted the device and updated first before linking to my account, factory reset, then linked). After installing all my apps, I tried our little test with WiFi Analyzer. Wouldn't you know, within 5 seconds of starting the app the screen started flashing. We will have to wait and see for a couple days if I get any flickering in other apps but for now, I'm starting to lean towards this being a software issue. Also, my current N10 (the supposed defective one) has not had a screen flicker in a week now, though it has rebooted itself on a daily basis now and always while I'm in the middle of doing something.
    Thanked by 2:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNut23 View Post
    I would like to update everyone on my situation: I received my replacement device today. I decided to set it up a little differently per some of the other threads (ie I booted the device and updated first before linking to my account, factory reset, then linked). After installing all my apps, I tried our little test with WiFi Analyzer. Wouldn't you know, within 5 seconds of starting the app the screen started flashing. We will have to wait and see for a couple days if I get any flickering in other apps but for now, I'm starting to lean towards this being a software issue. Also, my current N10 (the supposed defective one) has not had a screen flicker in a week now, though it has rebooted itself on a daily basis now and always while I'm in the middle of doing something.
    Thanks for testing and letting us know. Keep us updated. I guess we can keep the ones we have and wait for more info on root problem and resolution.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Transtang z28 View Post
    Thanks for testing and letting us know. Keep us updated. I guess we can keep the ones we have and wait for more info on root problem and resolution.

Ya, that's what I would suggest right now. I probably won't ship my "defective" N10 back till later this week just so I can have the comparison in performance between the 2. If I get a significant reduction in reboots with the new one then I'm completely sold, although I have a feeling that pretty much all the problems I've had are software based.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNut23 View Post
    Ya, that's what I would suggest right now. I probably won't ship my "defective" N10 back till later this week just so I can have the comparison in performance between the 2. If I get a significant reduction in reboots with the new one then I'm completely sold, although I have a feeling that pretty much all the problems I've had are software based.
    Even if there is a significant difference, it could still be software based on exactly what is installed and when. Without imaging/cloning the entire internal storage, it is almost impossible to have two "identical" tablets, unless you wipe both to factory and installed the exactly things on both, each thing in the same order, and all configured the same. Plus, for comparison, you would then have to use each one for same amount of time, doing all the exact same things. I expect we all have better things to do with our time

If they both tend to reboot and/or both tend to flicker, regardless of the frequency, I would be inclined to believe it is software (the OS or one of it's components). The only other possible explanation I can think of would be a "flaky" hardware problem- where something is varying in the specs causing it to show much more on some units, less on others, and perhaps not at all on different ones. One such example would be thermal variance failures. Another might be a slightly drifting clock crystal. That type of stuff. However, I just wouldn't expect that with higher end Samsung equipment.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Even if there is a significant difference, it could still be software based on exactly what is installed and when. Without imaging/cloning the entire internal storage, it is almost impossible to have two "identical" tablets, unless you wipe both to factory and installed the exactly things on both, each thing in the same order, and all configured the same. Plus, for comparison, you would then have to use each one for same amount of time, doing all the exact same things. I expect we all have better things to do with our time

If they both tend to reboot and/or both tend to flicker, regardless of the frequency, I would be inclined to believe it is software (the OS or one of it's components). The only other possible explanation I can think of would be a "flaky" hardware problem- where something is varying in the specs causing it to show much more on some units, less on others, and perhaps not at all on different ones. One such example would be thermal variance failures. Another might be a slightly drifting clock crystal. That type of stuff. However, I just wouldn't expect that with higher end Samsung equipment.
    I will definitely keep that all in mind going forward. Hopefully all will be fine with the replacement (or Google releases a fix soonish, haha) because yes, we all have better things to do with our time.

Quick update for those of you still struggling with this problem: it's been 2 weeks since I got my replacement. I've had 0 screen flickers (except for the force ones through wifi analyzer). I've also only had the tablet freeze and lock up once, which was during a game. Chrome has given me no issues.

So, while I believe now that the root of these problems is most likely software related, there has to be some hardware component that increases or decreases the frequency of the issues.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I had called in for replacement for lockup issues. Waiting for new device, started getting lines/flicker/freezing up. Glad replacement is on the way.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

The 4.2.2 update has fixed the screen flicker in WiFi Analyzer!
    BuckNut23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    The 4.2.2 update has fixed the screen flicker in WiFi Analyzer!
    I noticed this yesterday as well! So nice that it is finally gone. Now hopefully the random reboot bug is gone as well...

I've only noticed screen flicker in one game. Everything else has booted up smoothly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12