Screen Flicker on new nexus 10

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Awwwwwww I just got mine this morning and now that i am playing with it I keep getting lines of flicker horizontally across the screen. I can't purposely cause them to happen but it seems like they've become more common over the last hour. Anyone else getting this?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

tylan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
No.... When I was using mine at work today I was constantly being disconnected and started to worry I had that WiFi issue but I've been using it non stop since I got home and haven't had a single drop.

Sorry to hear about your flicker :'(

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me for the first time a couple days ago (got mine for Christmas). I was worried but it hasn't happened since. Just curious if there are specific apps you see the flicker with? I only noticed it when in the gallery and play movies. Hopefully yours passes too.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Awwwwwww I just got mine this morning and now that i am playing with it I keep getting lines of flicker horizontally across the screen. I can't purposely cause them to happen but it seems like they've become more common over the last hour. Anyone else getting this?

Yes, I have seen that happened on mine also a couple of days ago. It happen only once, it did it for a few minutes when moving between apps, then just magically cleared up and has not recurred. I thought it a fluke.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I noticed it when switching from apps to the home screen but then one time I just sat at the home screen and watched it go on intermittently for around a minute. I caught it on video with my phone. I can post it on YouTube if anyone wants to see. I'm just worried that its a bigger problem that might show up long down the road but you guys seem pretty relaxed about it so I'm wondering if I should be too.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It's only happened to me the one time. It sounds like yours is happening more often... You might consider contacting Google about it if it continues.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
So it just started happening again while I has Google+ open. Still don't see it on my home screen or even in chrome, just a select few apps... Very strange if you ask me.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Dang, I guess I'll call Google on Monday and see what they have to say. I'll let you guys know but my guess is their answer will be an RMA.

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd share real quick: I called Google about this issue today (also mentioned the freezing/locking up issues). They said they would send me a replacement without even batting an eye.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. My week has been too busy to call them yet but I haven't had any more flickers since last Friday night. I might just fall back on the one year warranty. if it acts up in that year I can still get it replaced, I'm assuming. Any thoughts on this?

BuckNut23

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends on how annoyed you get when it happens. I only called because the flickers went nuts Tuesday evening (it was the worse I had seen it). Now, I haven't had them since but I figure if Google is going to replace the device for free then no harm done, especially if I get a device with no flaws.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I seem to get screen flicker pretty consistently when using WiFi Analyzer. I have had flicker a few times when not in that app, but I have noticed it happening several times in WiFi Analyzer when I stayed in it a while. I just tried it now to see if it would do it again, and sure enough, after a few minutes in it, the screen started to flicker. It is the only way I have found to make it repeatable. Would love to see if others could confirm this behavior.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I seem to get screen flicker pretty consistently when using WiFi Analyzer. I have had flicker a few times when not in that app, but I have noticed it happening several times in WiFi Analyzer when I stayed in it a while. I just tried it now to see if it would do it again, and sure enough, after a few minutes in it, the screen started to flicker. It is the only way I have found to make it repeatable. Would love to see if others could confirm this behavior.

Good call, i just opened wi fi analyzer and waited for less than a minute and started getting the flickers. Not the worst I've seen but still. I can't tell if this is a hardware or software issue.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Good call, i just opened wi fi analyzer and waited for less than a minute and started getting the flickers. Not the worst I've seen but still. I can't tell if this is a hardware or software issue.

I am glad I have confirmation. Repeatability is a great thing for troubleshooting. Now, if everyone that tries this also experiences the same thing, it is highly likely it is a software problem. Although I will admit, it certainly LOOKS like a hardware problem, it probably isn't.

But another question is- is this similar to the "flickering" that everyone else is reporting?

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I am glad I have confirmation. Repeatability is a great thing for troubleshooting. Now, if everyone that tries this also experiences the same thing, it is highly likely it is a software problem. Although I will admit, it certainly LOOKS like a hardware problem, it probably isn't.

But another question is- is this similar to the "flickering" that everyone else is reporting?

Well it seems to be worse in landscape than in portrait. I've gone in and out of WiFi analyzer a bunch of times now and noticed at times the flicker turns into more of a whole screen flash. I'm uploading a video I took of them last week so we can compare. I'll post the link when its ready.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
OK here is the link to my video. Forgive me, its the first video I've ever put on YouTube and I took it with my phone so its not perfect. You can see good screen anomalies at the 28 and 33 second marks and then another bunch right after the fifty second mark. Sorry, its got my family and the television being loud in the background so i would just turn your sound down. The "flickers" originally started occurring when switching between various screens and apps so I was trying to recreate that in the did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npAWDGN7sxw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
OK here is the link to my video. Forgive me, its the first video I've ever put on YouTube and I took it with my phone so its not perfect. You can see good screen anomalies at the 28 and 33 second marks and then another bunch right after the fifty second mark. Sorry, its got my family and the television being loud in the background so i would just turn your sound down. The "flickers" originally started occurring when switching between various screens and apps so I was trying to recreate that in the did.

Indeed that looks a lot like the screen flicker in WiFi Analyzer. But I can't make mine do it on the home screen like you do. But I also don't use Chrome and I have the Koi Pond live wallpaper running. I sat here and tried and tried and tried jumping between apps and home and also with the recently used. The few times I have ever seen it outside of WiFi Analyzer it was when jumping between apps and I think sitting on the recently used screen

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Indeed that looks a lot like the screen flicker in WiFi Analyzer. But I can't make mine do it on the home screen like you do. But I also don't use Chrome and I have the Koi Pond live wallpaper running. I sat here and tried and tried and tried jumping between apps and home and also with the recently used. The few times I have ever seen it outside of WiFi Analyzer it was when jumping between apps and I think sitting on the recently used screen

Yeah I haven't really seen it since last Friday. Tonight in WiFi analyzer is then first I've seen it since then. And when I got it last week it first appeared after leaving a soundboard app. After that just flipping between lots of apps caused it. I guess there's no point in sending one back to get a replacement since it will likely happen on that too. I'm just hoping its not an early sign of a massive screen problem down the road.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
The only time I get screen flicker is lunching one certain game. Launching Final Fantasy III makes my screen strobe for half or quarter of a second. Nothing else does this. I use my tablet super heavy everyday. Have no other problems except i froze 3 times in the 30 days I've owned this tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835