Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By whiteshadow001
  • 2 Post By anonuk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Video quality vs ipad

    Just picked up the Nexus 10 today and I love it, but one thing that concerns me so far is video quality when streaming, in particular using Watch ESPN and NBA Gametime.

    Comparing the video side by side with my wife's iPad, the espn quality is somewhat lower, while the NBA quality is dramatically worse, almost looks sd vs hd. Is this just a function of programmers not yet knowing how to optimally present video on Android?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    Yes
  3. #3  
    whiteshadow001's Avatar

    Posts
    1,204 Posts
    ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwilly087 View Post
    Just picked up the Nexus 10 today and I love it, but one thing that concerns me so far is video quality when streaming, in particular using Watch ESPN and NBA Gametime.

    Comparing the video side by side with my wife's iPad, the espn quality is somewhat lower, while the NBA quality is dramatically worse, almost looks sd vs hd. Is this just a function of programmers not yet knowing how to optimally present video on Android?
    Yup, you nailed it. This year I think we'll see alot more quality apps for android tablets thanks to the Nexus 7&10
    John-Smith likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    IPlayer streams in HD.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    Its mainly because apple pushed for high resolution right out of the gate while android was working on improving their software and hardware gradually. So alot of video apps on android apps aren't HD yet due to a high number of devices aren't HD. So far flagship phones are 720p and a handfull of tablets are 1080p. So as you can see there wasn't to much push for developers to push HD apps and content. 2013 alot of HD updates will be pushed out and maybe even separate apps for HD due to the 1080p and higher trend will be hitting that year with new devices.
  6. #6  
    John-Smith's Avatar

    Posts
    433 Posts
    ROM
    CM 9.1

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    Yep, this will be an exciting year for Android. I think 2012 was just scratching the surface. This year is when the big guns come out.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    If you want to see what HD video I'd like when you'll get a decent app, check the video "timescapes", its amazing!
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    Quote Originally Posted by anonuk View Post
    If you want to see what HD video I'd like when you'll get a decent app, check the video "timescapes", its amazing!
    It's the only movie that actually plays at the resolution that the Nexus 10 can support; so it'll show "proper usage" of the Nexus 10's display.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    Quote Originally Posted by anonuk View Post
    If you want to see what HD video I'd like when you'll get a decent app, check the video "timescapes", its amazing!
    That looked beautiful!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by anonuk View Post
    If you want to see what HD video I'd like when you'll get a decent app, check the video "timescapes", its amazing!
    That looked beautiful!!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    The best live sports I've seen is big ten networks app, looks to be HD. Only thing I don't like is the top notification bar and bottom soft keys don't disappear
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    You have to take in consideration that there aren't too many films out there that are going to fully use the Nexus 10's resolution; not even full 1080 HD. This goes for any of the higher resolutions ("Retina Display" or 4k HD) for the time being. As for streaming apps, developers are just starting to implement HD for Android.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Video quality vs ipad

    Quote Originally Posted by silentagenda View Post
    You have to take in consideration that there aren't too many films out there that are going to fully use the Nexus 10's resolution; not even full 1080 HD. This goes for any of the higher resolutions ("Retina Display" or 4k HD) for the time being. As for streaming apps, developers are just starting to implement HD for Android.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Yeah that's def true, i'm a sports junkie and am impressed with the big Ten network, hopefully everyone else, especially espn, goes hd soon. Mlb always seems to be on the cutting edge of this stuff so i'm hopefully Mlb at bat 13 will be hd

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus7 vs. iPad (abuse video, not functionality)
    By ratseven in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. Tab vs IPad 2 video
    By Big-Dave in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 12:57 PM
  3. Xoom vs Ipad (video)
    By xxraffyxx in forum Motorola Xoom
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM
  4. Video quality between EVO and Palm PRE
    By showmrock in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 10:41 AM
  5. youtube video quality.
    By FauxCaptain in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions