Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By silentagenda
  • 1 Post By Devlyn16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Nexus 10 vs new announced tegra 4

Ok Tegra 4 just showed up at CES and crushed the Nexus 10 in every possible way and up to 3.5 times the speed with 72 core gpu. How much is samsung in the hole here with its graphics. The highest core gpu samsung has is 8-16 cores and thats slated for years away. I was planing on selling this in october for a new released samsung tablet with touchwiz and super amoled hd plus but now i feel like its going to be like nes vs ps3.

Default Re: Nexus 10 vs new announced tegra 4

Quick to abandon hardware for newly announced stuff? I mean, based on how technology goes, you should have known that new hardware was going to be announced just around the corner (with CES being around this time every year). Though it was announced, it takes some time for it to go live in the field. They still have to get manufacturers that put the hardware into their tablets/smartphones as well. I'm probably keeping my Nexus 10 until another ten-inch Nexus tablet comes out that trumps it. There are reasons why I went with Google-supported hardware, rather than a direct third-party device; one of which is the software updates and the various improvements (hardware-wise) to most other tablets. I knew when I got it that there would be hardware released this year that would bypass that of the Nexus 10 - it's the ebb and flow of technology.
    tylan and Thomas Day like this.

1. Manufacturer comparisons at product announcement do not always equate real world experiance
    2. there will always be a new CPU/GPU that knocks the current champ off the hill
    3. how long will it be before the tegra 4 appears in devices?
    4. Four, I forget what four was for
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

They were comparing web page load speeds, bit of an unfair test when the Nexus 10 is using chrome and the Tegra was probably using android default browser... We all know how slow chrome is.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Not abandoning hardware for newly announced stuff but samsung already announced its gpus for the next few years and tegra just seemed to pop out graphics in one processor to trump samsung all the way to 2016. And vizio already announce they are making a stock android tablet with tegra 4. And the whole reason i bought a nexus 10 cause it had the exnyos 5 in it, which was slated for 2013 so it wouldn't be super out of date right away and would have a high resell value

Tegra 4 will take about 4-6 months to show up in a device. its alike a cat and mouse game. there will be always new every year.

Samsung will come up with Exynos 5 Quad. which will beat Tegra 4. its a never ending game.

There is a device already with the tegra 4, cant remember the same but there is one, should be released soon!

In the computing arena you can drive yourself nuts trying to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I would like to see a fair comparison between Tegra 4 vs Exynos 5

the webpage load they demo'd is chrome vs Android browser

chrome is still improving and way behind Android browser in terms of speed.
    chrome on T4 and E5 would be fair. T4 wont be twice as speed as mentioned in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I would like to see a fair comparison between Tegra 4 vs Exynos 5

the webpage load they demo'd is chrome vs Android browser

chrome is still improving and way behind Android browser in terms of speed.
    chrome on T4 and E5 would be fair. T4 wont be twice as speed as mentioned in the video.
    Agreed. Of course they are going to do as much as possible so that they can advertise their product being "3.5 times faster".

If they had done a test that was actually on equal grounds, I guarantee that "3.5 times faster" wouldn't be the same.

I'd take these presentations with a grain of salt. Not saying that the T4 is not faster... it obviously will be... but not by as much as these BS'ers say.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Tegra 4 will take about 4-6 months to show up in a device. its alike a cat and mouse game. there will be always new every year.

Samsung will come up with Exynos 5 Quad. which will beat Tegra 4. its a never ending game.
    For the last time, I'm not talking about speed. We all know Samsung can always win in speed. Im talking about Gpu (graphic processing unit) Since samsung already told us that its next gpu will have 4 or 8 cores and Tergra 4 has 72 cores. Then whats the point if Samsung can't get even close in graphics.

When they say 72 cores its not actually 72 bit fat whopping 72 cores. These are very smal cores within 4 big cores, they all play a part in different types of gaming. All new gpu's (like nexus 10 and galaxy s4 to be released) will have around 72 cores but they dont advertise it like what nvidia do.

Also about architecture and clock speeds, even tho tegra has 72 cores doesnt mean its great, its built on a 28nm process which yeah is great, but the galaxy s4 may be a great chance of having the gpu and cpu built on a 22nm process, therefore more power.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well how many tiny cores are in the Nexus 10?

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    Also about architecture and clock speeds, even tho tegra has 72 cores doesnt mean its great, its built on a 28nm process which yeah is great, but the galaxy s4 may be a great chance of having the gpu and cpu built on a 22nm process, therefore more power.
    no, galaxy S4 would be Exynos 5 Quad

Yes I know it"ll be a Quad core, I was just giving an example
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I'm starting to think nobody plays games on their android devices because people keep arguing about speed while forgetting about graphics. Thats the same mistake i made with my laptop and now i cant play my favorite games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    I'm starting to think nobody plays games on their android devices because people keep arguing about speed while forgetting about graphics. Thats the same mistake i made with my laptop and now i cant play my favorite games.
    That isn't entirely true, no. But speed is fairly important when it comes to overall usage, including gaming. Yes, you have to have the proper GPU for PC gaming, as well. Right now, though, the Tegra 4 well be cutting edge in regard to gaming (as the past Tegra processors were most well-known for) and will have decent processing power. But, the majority of enthusiasts aren't gamers, but business/IT geeks. Thus, graphical power isn't all THAT vital in day to day operation on an Android system.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by silentagenda View Post
    That isn't entirely true, no. But speed is fairly important when it comes to overall usage, including gaming. Yes, you have to have the proper GPU for PC gaming, as well. Right now, though, the Tegra 4 well be cutting edge in regard to gaming (as the past Tegra processors were most well-known for) and will have decent processing power. But, the majority of enthusiasts aren't gamers, but business/IT geeks. Thus, graphical power isn't all THAT vital in day to day operation on an Android system.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Yes but there really isn't really a complaint in the speed department with the Exnyos 5 dual right now so constantly drooling over speed of samsung future processor that will be up to 3x faster than the dual, shouldn't be a huge concern since stuff can be loaded in 1.5 seconds now. The main thing we should worry about is gpu, cause we already know they will be bringing speed in spades. If it can't play the same games as the Tegra 4 thats a pretty big fail. I also herd that Samsung confirmed their big.little processor with 4 A15 cores and 4 A7 cores. They said that it will be 70% as efficient as the A9 quad which we know is a good thing cause this Exnyos 5 guzzles power in high end and low end games. If they can be just as good as Tegra with graphics or better I will be throwing my Wallet at them for a new tablet.