Using USB extender with charger?

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I find the length of the USB charging cables that come with cell phones and tablets to be too short to really use the device while it charges unless you're right next to an outlet. With my cell phone I use a USB extender cable attached to the one it came with to give me more length. I know the N10 uses way more juice than my phone. Would doing the same with my N10 make it take longer to charge or degrade the quality of my charging in any way?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

johnyguy#AC

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
In xda forum a guy said its takes longer to charge you can monitor it with the free battery monitor widget. That's what he did See how much amp takes...

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought a dozen of these about a year ago. My whole family uses them for our charging cables for all our devices, mostly with the original charging bricks that came with the devices:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB Cable - 2.0 A Male to Micro B (6 Feet / 1.8 Meters): Electronics

I also have 6 of these I installed in the house. One in each bedroom, kitchen, & 2 in the family room. We use the cables with these outlets too

Amazon.com: Cooper Wiring Devices TR7740W-K Combination USB Charger with Tamper Resistant Receptacle, 2-Pole, 3-Wire Grounding, White: Home Improvement

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For computer/data transmission purposes, the recommended length for USB cables is 6 ft, and I believe the max cable length is 16 ft. (I've actually seen devices not work when using longer cables).

Not sure if the same goes for power transmission. I actually use an electrical extension cord to extend the length I can reach from the outlet to my charger at home, as opposed to extending the USB cable. Not a solution for everyone or every situation, but something to consider I'd think. Extension cord runs under my couch, and I just keep the charger tucked under there until I need it, then I can easily keep my phone on my coffee table when charging and have plenty of slack if I need to pick it up and use it. May not work if you have young kids or pets.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I find usb extender cables dramatically reduces charging speed. Even if its a premium cable. Black extension cord + charger and usb cord equals max charging speed and nobody notices the difference

Abigail Cable

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech. They offer a wide range of standard USB Active Extension cables, Cat5 USB Extender and USB2.0 Extender products. I have used a few of their extenders in the past and they work well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz