Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

Quote Originally Posted by flight View Post
    Intel Atom tablets run the full version of Windows with similar battery life as ARM tablets, so it is seemingly the best of both worlds. The downside is that it's Atom, quite a step down from Ivy Bridge processors. The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 is an example of an Atom tablet, but the user reviews have not been great. It might be best to wait for the Haswell processors later this year, unless you really need a full-fledged Windows tablet now.
    I used to have an Intel Atom-powered netbook, and it was as slow as a snail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

I decided on this instead: http://store.sony.com/c/VAIO-Duo-11-..._D_SERIES_PAGE.

Here's why:
    The Surface Pro only has 4 GB of RAM, while the Duo has 8 GB.
    The Surface Pro only has 128 GB of storage space, while the Duo has 256 GB.
    The Surface Pro only has an Intel i5 processor, while the Duo has an i7.
    The Surface Pro's Type Cover doesn't have backlit keys, while the Duo's keys are backlit.
    The Surface Pro can't be comfortably used in the lap, while the Duo can.
    Overall, the Surface Pro feels like a tablet that can also function as a computer, while the Duo feels like a computer that can also function as a tablet.
    Did I also mention that the Duo has more ports? It has two USB ports (the Surface Pro only has one), and it even has an AV port!

I also spent around the same amount of money that I would have sent buying the Surface Pro. I also like the fact that the keyboard isn't detachable. That makes it just another part that I can possibly lose. Yes, I can be clutsy.

The Lenovo Think Pad Tablet 2 starts at only $679 and it runs full Windows 8.

With the keyboard accessory, it would certainly be capable of doing just about any "full-fledged" computer stuff you can imagine.

It's even lighter than the 4th generation iPad and battery life is around 9-10 hours despite it having an x86 processor.

If I was going to buy a larger tablet (I have a Nexus 7 now), the ThinkPad Tablet 2 would be my first choice.

ThinkPad Tablet 2 for Business & Entertainment | Lenovo | (US)

I already have a Windows Phone, so there is actually a fair chance I would buy one of these once the quad core Intel Atoms start shipping towards the end of this year. The main thing keeping me from doing it right now is that I already have a MacBook Air and a Nexus 7, so a 10.1" tablet would be superfluous for me right now.

I had not seen that Sony Duo before and it looks kind of awesome. I need to check it out, but I'm still interested in a Surface Pro. I don't think that Microsoft quite nailed it in terms of battery life, thickness, and weight. Blame Intel for taking its sweet time optimizing its chips for mobile. But the idea MS has here is kind of compelling. I got to play with one over the weekend at an MS store. Until you have it in hand, it really doesn't hit you that this is running full-on Windows (if that's your thing). It isn't much worse than holding a Motorola XOOM if I'm honest.

Whatever threat posed by what MS has done here is really to iOS, which as a productivity platform on iPad, looks like a joke in comparison (I have many painful hours of iWork on iPad under my belt). I can see people going after these things once they get the battery life and form factor up to snuff. My N10 would be for fun, but a Surface Pro would be my workhouse document grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_law View Post
    I had not seen that Sony Duo before and it looks kind of awesome. I need to check it out, but I'm still interested in a Surface Pro. I don't think that Microsoft quite nailed it in terms of battery life, thickness, and weight. Blame Intel for taking its sweet time optimizing its chips for mobile. But the idea MS has here is kind of compelling. I got to play with one over the weekend at an MS store. Until you have it in hand, it really doesn't hit you that this is running full-on Windows (if that's your thing). It isn't much worse than holding a Motorola XOOM if I'm honest.

Whatever threat posed by what MS has done here is really to iOS, which as a productivity platform on iPad, looks like a joke in comparison (I have many painful hours of iWork on iPad under my belt). I can see people going after these things once they get the battery life and form factor up to snuff. My N10 would be for fun, but a Surface Pro would be my workhouse document grinder.
    Also shipping the damn things with the amount of storage space they're supposed to. lol
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by Small_law View Post

They keyboard takes some getting used to. It's kind of annoying. The keys, as well as the touchscreen, are overly sensitive. It's great device, but it's not designed for my needs. I just ordered an 11-inch Alienware laptop. I need productivity, and that requires a keyboard that's comfortable to work with. A touchscreen is a toy feature, while a comfortable keyboard is an essential feature for me. Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to get an Alienware (hehe)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12