Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    I'm looking for something that can act as a full-fledged computer.

    Which device should I get?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I'm looking for something that can act as a full-fledged computer.

    Which device should I get?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

    A laptop, imo at this time tablets cannot function as a full computer. I like at it like this a computer is a production device it is used to produce results from coding, web page design, spreadsheets etc. A tablet in a consumption device it consumes media like videos, music, and web pages. While to some degree they do overlap they each have their place.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

    "You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
    KJ likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by Live2ride883 View Post
    A laptop, imo at this time tablets cannot function as a full computer. I like at it like this a computer is a production device it is used to produce results from coding, web page design, spreadsheets etc. A tablet in a consumption device it consumes media like videos, music, and web pages. While to some degree they do overlap they each have their place.
    They're coming out with a Surface Pro, which they say is a full-fledged laptop.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    They're coming out with a Surface Pro, which they say is a full-fledged laptop.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I know nothing about that (although as IT/Network engineer, I have my doubts it will truly be a "full-fledged" computer). None the less, you simply will NOT get that from an Android tablet, at least not at this moment in time.

    A better question would be, "What aspects of a device make it "full-fledged" to you?"

    I mean just as an example, I would not consider a device a "full-fledged" laptop if it couldn't support a full array of peripheral devices, including mice, keyboards, external monitors, etc....and that's not even getting into internal hardware or software support. To Microsoft, I have a feeling when they say it is a "full-fledged laptop", they mean it can run Office and has a keyboard.

    I love having a tablet for it's portability, but to me, there's no substitute for an actual computer when you need one. (In other words, I wouldn't trade my computer for a tablet, nor expect that I could). If you have specific needs, however, I'm sure at the very least the folks here could tell you if the N10 will suffice, though few of us have probably even used a Surface to comment on that.

    EDIT: I just read the stats of the Surface Pro, and apparently it will run the full version of Windows 8, which should mean that software support is pretty near full computer capability. Impressive. Price tag is still quite high for me -- too much to spend on a tablet, and for that price I'd rather get a fully-spec'ed out computer. I have to say though, for some, this may be a great option.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Microsoft Surface Pro is going to have "full-fledged" specs, yes. But, I wouldn't exactly consider it on-par with a regular computer/laptop. There are quite a few 'convertible' tablets out there that are a bit heavier than a regular tablet. You can flip around the display and use it as a touchscreen tablet. The Surface RT isn't going to give you the functionality that you want, to be completely honest. You won't be able to use regular x86 Windows applications on the RT (as it's ARM-based and limits you to running apps from the Microsoft Store/Marketplace). You do have access to "desktop mode" - except you're still limited as to what you can do. The Pro version is expensive ($899 is its starting point); so, that's something you'll have to take in consideration.

    As paintdrinkingpete has said, no tablet is going to give you 'full functionality' as an actual computer. There are Windows 7 tablets out that are equal to the "Surface Pro" like the . Mind you, you're on Windows 7 (instead of 8); but it's still a functional tablet (for the most part). Or the . There are options out there; just that it depends on what you want to do with the tablet. Any tablet that closes the bridge between "tablet" and "laptop" is going to be more expensive than a regular tablet.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    I know nothing about that (although as IT/Network engineer, I have my doubts it will truly be a "full-fledged" computer). None the less, you simply will NOT get that from an Android tablet, at least not at this moment in time.

    A better question would be, "What aspects of a device make it "full-fledged" to you?"

    I mean just as an example, I would not consider a device a "full-fledged" laptop if it couldn't support a full array of peripheral devices, including mice, keyboards, external monitors, etc....and that's not even getting into internal hardware or software support. To Microsoft, I have a feeling when they say it is a "full-fledged laptop", they mean it can run Office and has a keyboard.

    I love having a tablet for it's portability, but to me, there's no substitute for an actual computer when you need one. (In other words, I wouldn't trade my computer for a tablet, nor expect that I could). If you have specific needs, however, I'm sure at the very least the folks here could tell you if the N10 will suffice, though few of us have probably even used a Surface to comment on that.

    EDIT: I just read the stats of the Surface Pro, and apparently it will run the full version of Windows 8, which should mean that software support is pretty near full computer capability. Impressive. Price tag is still quite high for me -- too much to spend on a tablet, and for that price I'd rather get a fully-spec'ed out computer. I have to say though, for some, this may be a great option.
    I need the Office suite, as well as the ability to run third-party software designed for Windows computers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I need the Office suite, as well as the ability to run third-party software designed for Windows computers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    remember windows pro would be somewhere around $900
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I need the Office suite, as well as the ability to run third-party software designed for Windows computers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    That's the real question there. Because the Surface Pro will run the full version of Windows 8, I would think more native software would be compatible, but if what silentagenda says above it true regarding the ARM architecture, there's a good chance your software won't be compatible.

    If that's a sticking point for you, I'd do my research first. My bet is that you if you really need full software compatibility but want portability as well, a slim form-factor laptop would probably be a better option.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    The option i have given to several others is to use something like splashtop to bring the full computer experience to android. But then again that depends on what you are doing.

    I actually played around with a VM of windows 8 connected to my nexus 10. I have to say it was pretty good. I think it was very similar to a real windows 8 surface tab.

    Allot of people discount android as being able to do everything we need on a daily basis. It can do allot more then what people give it credit for. I just recently ordered a android powered mini pc on a stick to try out.



    Hopefully in a week or to I will get a better feel for its limits. You really need to define what you want it to do.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    There are more and more devices being designed with a fairly complete set of connectivity. Galaxy note 2 phones actually have a dock to connect a external display, keyboard, mouse, and storage. I think that same dock works for the gs3 as well. More and more consumer stuff is usb driven. And they are accounting for that with many devices.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    I just called Microsoft. They told me that the current Surface is limited to running Marketplace software, while the Surface Pro will be able to run third-party software, not to mention have more storage space and be a more powerful device overall.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  12. #12  
    codeda's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I just called Microsoft. They told me that the current Surface is limited to running Marketplace software, while the Surface Pro will be able to run third-party software, not to mention have more storage space and be a more powerful device overall.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Then it looks like the surface pro is for you. You aren't going to get that from an android tablet at the moment.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by codeda View Post
    Then it looks like the surface pro is for you. You aren't going to get that from an android tablet at the moment.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    It's pretty pricey, but my credit card company will take $150 off if I purchase it with that card.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I'm looking for something that can act as a full-fledged computer.

    Which device should I get?
    When I bought my first android tablet, I got rid of my PC. I know, sounds crazy. But everything I need out of a computer, I also get with a tablet.

    It all matters what you use it for, and what your intentions are as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    twilite2000 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by dajobo View Post
    When I bought my first android tablet, I got rid of my PC. I know, sounds crazy. But everything I need out of a computer, I also get with a tablet.

    It all matters what you use it for, and what your intentions are as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    How are you making do without third-party software support?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    How are you making do without third-party software support?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    ???

    Third party software support? I download apps from the market if that's what you mean.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Also another thing to consider is whether or not you have any Android devices already - if so, then you may need to buy new apps (again) for MS, if not then that may not be an issue. However, Android's market, while not as big as Apples (yet), is very robust. I thought about the MS Tablet briefly, but the price + additional costs of apps + market uncertainty = Nexus 10. To be honest, it was not that hard of a decision - especially since I am very happy with Android and I like the convenience of having all my (Android) devices sync up as opposed to have one Android, one MS, and whatever. However, this may be more of a personal preference, so it may not be that important to you.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    Also another thing to consider is whether or not you have any Android devices already - if so, then you may need to buy new apps (again) for MS, if not then that may not be an issue. However, Android's market, while not as big as Apples (yet), is very robust. I thought about the MS Tablet briefly, but the price + additional costs of apps + market uncertainty = Nexus 10. To be honest, it was not that hard of a decision - especially since I am very happy with Android and I like the convenience of having all my (Android) devices sync up as opposed to have one Android, one MS, and whatever. However, this may be more of a personal preference, so it may not be that important to you.
    I don't have any paid apps. I've been able to find everything I need and want for free.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I don't have any paid apps. I've been able to find everything I need and want for free.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Really - you have not purchased one app? Do you have an Android phone? I guess so, since you use free apps and are picking up a tablet. Maybe the Surface is for you then. By the way, does surface have NFC? That is a nice feature instead of manually mailing pics or using a computer.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    Really - you have not purchased one app? Do you have an Android phone? I guess so, since you use free apps and are picking up a tablet. Maybe the Surface is for you then. By the way, does surface have NFC? That is a nice feature instead of manually mailing pics or using a computer.
    The Surface RT does not have NFC capabilities, and neither will the Surface Pro. Here's a quote from Pavan Davuluri, hardware development lead for the Surface, taken from an AMA session on Reddit.

    We conducted testing across a variety of core scenarios such as local and streaming video playback (watching movies!), audio playback, wireless web browsing and productivity scenarios such as using Office and mail. We tested using different Wi-Fi networks with pre-production hardware and software. Hence the battery life numbers started early in the program as a model with calculations and then get verified with actual device HW and SW.

    For the product design experience we were aiming for with Surface, the Mg metal enclosure, including the back case, was critical. This made good antenna design for NFC a trade-off in our development process.
    The Surface also lacks GPS functionality. Between that and the lack of cellular connectivity, options for location services are limited to local network identification (i.e. WiFi AP correlation, in much the same way that Google's location services do it). It's too bad, really, because Bing maps on Windows RT/Windows 8 is a great experience otherwise.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenii View Post
    The Surface RT does not have NFC capabilities, and neither will the Surface Pro. Here's a quote from Pavan Davuluri, hardware development lead for the Surface, taken from an AMA session on Reddit.



    The Surface also lacks GPS functionality. Between that and the lack of cellular connectivity, options for location services are limited to local network identification (i.e. WiFi AP correlation, in much the same way that Google's location services do it). It's too bad, really, because Bing maps on Windows RT/Windows 8 is a great experience otherwise.
    I'm beginning to second guess the Surface Pro. Are there any other Windows 8 tablets out there that run the full version of Windows 8, and are comparable to the Surface Pro?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    No on surface. It runs windows rt so it can only run apps designed for windows rt. Windows 8 apps are not supported and the rt app market is very limited at the moment and the apps are more pricey than android. For instance angry birds is 2$ on android. On windows 8 it is 5$.

    There is a windows 8 surface that runs on an Intel chipset. Respectively its more money but is worlds better than the rt/arm combination. So if you get a surface be sure its the windows 8 Intel version.

    Sent from my SPH-L710
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  23. #23  
    flight's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    I'm beginning to second guess the Surface Pro. Are there any other Windows 8 tablets out there that run the full version of Windows 8, and are comparable to the Surface Pro?
    Intel Atom tablets run the full version of Windows with similar battery life as ARM tablets, so it is seemingly the best of both worlds. The downside is that it's Atom, quite a step down from Ivy Bridge processors. The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 is an example of an Atom tablet, but the user reviews have not been great. It might be best to wait for the Haswell processors later this year, unless you really need a full-fledged Windows tablet now.
  24. #24  
    GMJeff's Avatar

    Posts
    590 Posts
    Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Dell also has a atom based tablet in their Inspiron 10. It runs windows 8 pro.

    The microsoft surface pro is slated to run a i3 or i5 cpu, depending on which model is purchased.

    As for app prices being more on the pro tablets, it is because you are paying for a x86 version, not a mobile version.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 vs Microsoft Surface

    Have you considered a Samsung Ativ Smart PC pro???. pretty good actually. I have a Ativ Smart PC and it does everything I need :-). For saving money and using x86 apps on tablets. then Windows 8 tablets is the way to go.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 10 vs new announced tegra 4
    By Tyler Lietz in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
  2. Nexus 10 vs iPad 4th gen. vs Surface RT
    By Irontheater in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM
  3. Nexus 10 vs Note 10.1 HELP
    By Afterlife737 in forum Misc. Tablet Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
  4. Google Nexus 10 vs iPad 4?
    By Rosaura1234 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

B