Pogo Charger arrived today

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine in today. Amazon is in stock every once in a while, like 10 at a time. Shipping was fast for standard (no prime offers); only 5 days! Magnets are a good strength but they have to be aligned right. Its not really a hassle, still much more convenient than the one provided. Charge seems faster but I haven't tested it or anything.

ton559

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Just simple maths, the output current of supplied power adopter is 2A and the size of the battery is 9AH. That means the fastest theoretical charging time you can get is 9AH/2A = 4.5 hrs, which regardless which type of cable you can use. Because the charging power is come from the power adopter.

doginabag

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I hope someone can help.

I have had a pogo charger for a few months now and has been working great. But recently I have had a problem.

My dear wife is an advocate of leaving cables, and just about anything else, on the floor when she has finished with them. A few days I went to charge my nexus 10 and found that the pogo wasn't fitting snuggle. I pulled it off to have a look and noted that one of the magnets had picked up an old staple. I didn't notice at the time whether it had shorted across any of the pins, but since then i cant charge with the pogo.
The nexus 10 will recognise the cable and say that it is charging, but will continue to discharge.

Charging by usb still works fine.

Is it likely that the pogo id knackered, or it has caused damage tot he tablet itself?

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried plug the pogo cable into another charger. It would seem that it would be more like for the charger to fail than the cable itself.

doginabag

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried plug the pogo cable into another charger. It would seem that it would be more like for the charger to fail than the cable itself.
The charger itself is fine, still works fine with usb charging. Actually I hadn't thought of that, with the charger still working the pogo is essentially just a length of cable with a fancy plug. So if the charger is still working, it must be an issue with the nexus.

Maybe your battery is starting to fail and it has nothing to do with the pogo cable.
Is that a common issue on these? It's approaching a year old now.
It does take a long time to charge and seems to chew through the battery quite quickly, even when left on standby. But To be honest I don't remember it ever being much better.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Since you don't know how long the battery sat in a parts bin, it's probably the battery. I was having the same problem. Replaced the battery with the Amazon replacement kit, and now all is good.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

David Mattern

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Extremely interesting and informative. I am going to purchase one right after I write this. The information about the voltages is wonderful and I always wondered why the chargers said 2 AMP but the REAL 2 AMP chargers are so much larger. I have a a 2 AMP but like you said it has 2 USB ports 1 amp each and always wondered why it would charge my NEX 10 for crap . Thank you so much for the insite.
Cheers,
Dave

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I finally bought a pogo cable ( Amazon Amazon.com: Nexus 10 Pogo Cable: Computers & Accessories $25). I wish it were a foot longer, it is kinda short like the stock cable. And for some reason I thought the thing was non-directional, but it is not... it only fits one way. There is also no cutout on my Moko case for connecting it with the case closed.

But the good news is that it works, it is high quality, it connects easily and quickly, it will yank out easily if caught on something to prevent damage, and I can confirm that it does, indeed, charge with more power than the stock usb cable. I can now play ANY game when plugged in and it can not only keep the battery at the same level, it can actually charge a little above that while playing. On the stock cable, it can barely hold the battery at the same level with intense gaming.

Since the battery is so impossible to obtain, I want to extend the life of what I have as much as possible, which means leaving it plugged in most of the time, whenever I can... and keep the battery from draining while using it, whenever I can. This will help with that goal.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Here is a quantitative followup with various cables and chargers. The results are strange and interesting, and illustrate how mysterious this can all be. Tests are with the tablet discharging at near max I could obtain (through a game demo):

Charger, cable, volts, amps

Samsung N10, Samsung N10, 5.31V, 1.45A
Samsung N10, LG N5, 5.32V, 1.46A
Samsung N10, generic, 5.31V, 1.45A
Samsung N10, Pogo, 5.40V, 1.81A

Generic 2.1A, Samsung N10, 4.96V, 0.78A
Generic 2.1A, LG N5, 4.98V, 1.33A
Generic 2.1A, generic, 4.96V, 0.79A
Generic 2.1A, Pogo, 5.02V, 1.53A

The most surprising is why the Samsung Nexus 10 stock cable performed so poorly on the Generic charger compared to the LG Nexus 5 stock cable on the same generic charger. Makes no sense, so I repeated all the tests and got the same thing again.

It is clear to see the Pogo cable wins by a lot, but is only most effective on the N10 OEM charger.