1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi-Fi connection inconsistent, requires router reboot

I've been having this issue with both my Nexus' - my 10 and my 7.
    I'll look up and find my connection bars greyed out or none showing and my connection dead. All the other devices on the network will be functioning just fine, just the Nexus will have no connection (I have two laptops - one Mac one PC - several cell phones and sometimes a printer)
    Looking at the settings the network will show that it's either trying to connect over and over or just "saved".
    Attempts to log back in will be unsuccessful with the device seeming like it's failing to get an IP address our something.
    The ONLY way I can get reconnected is to reboot the router itself. Quite a drag...

Google doesn't seem to turn up anything, and forum searches likewise have not been successful
    (One problem is there's a lot of 'noise' in results from searching trends like "Wi-Fi", "connection", etc).

Anyone have a clue? It's annoying, especially when it happens somewhere I don't have access to the router (coffee shop etc).

Mostly tho, it seems to happen at home.

I'm running a Belkin N150 router with out-of-the-box settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Note: the problems don't always show up on both Nexus' simultaneously. Sometimes one will have a connection while the other does not, and sometimes they'll both be disconnected.
    Every other device's connection will be fine tho.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Wi-Fi connection inconsistent, requires router reboot

Well i use to get use to get kicked off all the time until i updated my Router. Now everything is faster and more stable. I even auto connect before even pulling in my driveway. Completely turning off location access on your Nexus also dramatically improves Nexus internet load speeds. Believe it or not most Routers have updates that you don't even know about, even new ones right out of the box. You have to look for them and apply them, which is a pain.

What mode is your router set to? Wireless N only, Wireless B/G/N mixed etc...

And do you have a feature called WMM support anywhere in your router settings? It might be found under QoS settings. I found that disabling this fixed the problem with getting disconnected all the time.

You could get an app named "Wifi Analyzer". This shows what channel your router is using, signal strength as you move around and weather the channel is crowded or not. You can see if there are more clear or stronger signal channels. Then in your router you can make adjustments. No clue why the problem shows up on the Androids. they have good Wifi hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    Well i use to get use to get kicked off all the time until i updated my Router. Now everything is faster and more stable. I even auto connect before even pulling in my driveway. Completely turning off location access on your Nexus also dramatically improves Nexus internet load speeds. Believe it or not most Routers have updates that you don't even know about, even new ones right out of the box. You have to look for them and apply them, which is a pain.
    That would be my advice as well -- check for firmware updates for your router.

Very good suggestions here from all. A: Login to your router and install any firmware updates. B: Get free app WiFi Analyzer and use it to check your WiFi signal and also to help configure your router to use a clear channel. IMHO you have a network issue not a device issue.

I had to do a hard reset on my n10 and now it works great.
    Had nothing to do with my router

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

I had to get a new Router (broadcom chipset was incompatible)---router = Arris.
    (i spent a week attempting firmware on router, new modem, channels/frequencies, dhcp/static,etc---it was the stinking router )