Is Google doing ANYTHING about these soft reboots???

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Got my N10 on Christmas and have had at least one soft reboot a day since (touchpad becomes non-responsive, screen dims, repeated mashing of the power button, device reboots 30 seconds later). This has to be one of the most commonly reported issues I've ever seen with an electronic device I've purchased. And definitely one of the most frustrating.

At first I heard and was hopeful it was a software issue... If it were, it can't be possible we'd still be waiting for a fix, two months later. I've tried all the tricks... stopped using Chrome, location services off, etc., but the issue persists for me.

Now I've heard rumors it's hardware. I'm probably going to proceed with getting a replacement from Google, but without hearing anything 'official', I'm skeptical.

Anyone have the facts? Anyone have success with a replacement device?

Thanks!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
At first I heard and was hopeful it was a software issue... If it were, it can't be possible we'd still be waiting for a fix, two months later. I've tried all the tricks... stopped using Chrome, location services off, etc., but the issue persists for me. Now I've heard rumors it's hardware. I'm probably going to proceed with getting a replacement from Google, but without hearing anything 'official', I'm skeptical.

Anyone have the facts?

Of course we don't "have the facts". This is just a forum of end users, it isn't Google.

Yes, it could be a hardware issue. But it is more likely software. I do not recall any posts about lockups, reboots, or screen flicker until after the last update.

Anyone have success with a replacement device?

If you were to read some of the major threads, you would know that Google HAS replaced users' tablets with nearly no questions asked. However, this doesn't mean it is a hardware issue.

Personally, I have all all three- lockups, reboots, and flicker... none very often, but I also don't use the tablet but a few times a week. If the next update doesn't fix these problems, I would be comfortable calling it a hardware problem, and I will be contacting Google to have it replaced (as I expect many other people will do also).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
what soft reboot?? I have had no reboot issues since i bought this tablet.

stop spreading FUD. where did you hear the rumors that its a hardware issue?

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I get a soft reboot at least once a day as well. I've read that Google is aware of the issue and will release a fix eventually. Some think it's tied to a GPS issue and that disabling location services will stop it.

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I have location services off and it has not fixed the problem. Sooo annoying. The reason why I'm skeptical about a replacement is I'm afraid I am going to get a WORSE replacement and then what do I do?! Also, I got it at Walmart so I don't even know if Google would replace it. Any opinions or suggestions welcome!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have location services off and it has not fixed the problem. Sooo annoying. The reason why I'm skeptical about a replacement is I'm afraid I am going to get a WORSE replacement and then what do I do?! Also, I got it at Walmart so I don't even know if Google would replace it. Any opinions or suggestions welcome!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

People blame the 4.2.1 update, so I imagine it will be fixed with 4.2.2, but who knows. I don't have it happen very often, so I can live with it.

johnyguy#AC

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I got it here and there nothing major ,they should make it more stable for sure

Of topic how can I turn off that thing , when its sometimes ask me what do i like which browser to use if you have more than one instaled and than you choose this always but next time its ask you again....annoying

mooch91

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
As the OP, I wanted to loop back with this thread.

I'm on my THIRD Nexus 10 and all three have had the same lock up and reboot problem. Maybe I've got a bad combination of apps on mine, or maybe I've done something wrong with the setup of all three, but I maintain GOOGLE HAS A PROBLEM WITH THIS DEVICE. Whether software or hardware, something is not working right and is causing this problem which I've seen widely reported here and elsewhere. I can handle not having the best processor or best display as compared to other tablets, but reliability is one thing I demand from all of my electronic devices. Reboots that happen once or twice a day with light use are unacceptable in my book.

When I got the first replacement, I FDR'ed it before I set up any of my apps or user accounts.

While setting up the second replacement, I installed a minimum of apps that I considered essential to try to minimize the chances of a rogue app causing the problem.

The sad part is that Google is willing to continue to send me hardware replacements without a bit of troubleshooting...

I'm hoping that it's 4.2.1 and all is good at the next release. But it would save Google and its customers a lot of frustration if they would acknowledge the issue and let us know definitively that the fix is coming.

I'll gladly keep sending these back until they get the message.

ibikeiruniswim

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Here is my crash log since November 30th usining Bootlog Uptime. Since I stopped using Chrome most of my crashes happen when I'm not using the device. I wonder if some of you are having more crashes than you realize but they happen when you are not using your N10.
UWcceAj.png

It continues to Nov 30 but that didn't fit in the screen shot and I didn't want to make a post that dominated the hole thread. I think you'll get the point.