1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question [Q] Connected to Network but No Internet Access

On my Nexus 10, about 2 weeks old, and running most current version of Android, non-rooted, I can connect to wifi networks, but I do not have access to the internet. It just started today after having no issues whatsoever since I purchased it. It also just happened randomly today out of the blue. For further information, in the top right corner where the wifi "baseball diamond" is, the bars are that grey/white instead of the typical blue. Which I know means that I am connected to the network but without internet access. I have tried restarting my device both powering it off and on, and simply restarting it by holding down the power button. I have tried turning wifi off and on. I have tried the same with airplane mode as well. None of it has worked. I was wondering if anyone knew of any fixes for this issue? Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Default Re: [Q] Connected to Network but No Internet Access

Try resetting your router once in awhile.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Unfortunately, I am connecting to a college wifi network. So I do not have access to the router. Any other suggestions?

Is it an open wifi network? Or suppMaybe they have blocked your phonea mac address.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

no its not an open one. But i have provided proper login info and settings and such. how can I address this issue with the mac address?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyedude7 View Post
    no its not an open one. But i have provided proper login info and settings and such. how can I address this issue with the mac address?
    Is there a person that is incharged with this connection that you can consult with? If they did block your mac, you have to ask for their help. Have you tried with your notebook or other phones?

Try another WiFi network such as Starbucks,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    KJ

Unfortunately, I am connecting to a college wifi network. So I do not have access to the router. Any other suggestions?
    Like others have mentioned, my college network logs your MAC address when you first create an account on the wifi. They sometimes shut people off for file sharing by disabling access for that device. You might talk to your IT help desk, they can probably help you trouble shoot. To get reconnected here you just have to swear to be good the first time, then pay $50 the second time I believe. They also occasionally purge the database just to be jerks. Try connecting to the wifi and then visiting the college main page in your browser (you might have to clear your cache). This might redirect you to a setup page or something.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I am about to meet with the it people at my university and will update after finishing with them. I connect fine to the network and Internet on both my phone and laptop. I have also used my phone as a mobile hotshot and was able to connect with full Web access. I don't get unlimited data though so I can't keep using that
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I met with the it people. My tablet worked fine in their building, and they informed me the problem had to do with the dns settings that are different in the wifi networks in the dorms as opposed to academic buildings. So i can connect to the same wifi network in academic buildings and have internet access, but once i get in my dorm, i lose that internet access. Anyone have any idea how to alter dns settings to prevent this?

I met with the it people. My tablet worked fine in their building, and they informed me the problem had to do with the dns settings that are different in the wifi networks in the dorms as opposed to academic buildings. So i can connect to the same wifi network in academic buildings and have internet access, but once i get in my dorm, i lose that internet access. Anyone have any idea how to alter dns settings to prevent this?
    I think the only way to do that is with the router that you are connecting with ( the dorm router). There's the setting with the router to change the dns. But I think you are not allowed access to it.

If the wi-fi si something that you are paying for then they [IT] should help you resolve the problem in your dorm.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
    KJ

Does this happen with your laptop as well? If not, what's different with the tablet, do you have to install software or something in the dorm?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

So yesterday everything worked fine after I pinged the ip. But today it is doing the same thing again. I tried pinging the ip again but that didn't work. So any suggestions haha?

On your second ping, what was the the result. Was it alive?

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

no. even when I pinged it with internet access, I still got 100% packet loss/error

no. even when I pinged it with internet access, I still got 100% packet loss/error
    Wait. You just said all the packet are lost?

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

correct

Which IP did you pinged? Router IP or website IP