Just got the Nexus 10, downloaded a song from a website on chrome and google play picked it up and it worked. I downloaded ASTRO File manager and just went to move the song to a different folder and play could no longer find it. my question is, in ASTRO there are multiple different folders where my files are..from the main directory, i can go to "sdcard" or "storage" from "storage" i can go to either "emulated" "sdcard0". "sdcard0" takes me to the same place as "sdcard" and "emulated" eventually can take me to the same folders. where am I supposed to go? and what is the correct place to move or delete files?

sounds very confusing but I don't know how else to explain it!
    Attached Thumbnails Nexus 10 Files-main-folder.jpg   Nexus 10 Files-screenshot_2013-01-15-15-25-50.jpg   Nexus 10 Files-screenshot_2013-01-15-15-26-07.jpg   Nexus 10 Files-screenshot_2013-01-15-15-26-16.jpg   Nexus 10 Files-screenshot_2013-01-15-15-26-21.jpg  

Nexus 10 Files-screenshot_2013-01-15-15-27-21.jpg  
    01-15-2013 02:34 PM
    I understand what you are saying but thats because of multiuser support. some of those folders are just shortcut to the main sdcard folder.
    this is done for multi-user support. so if second user logs in the folder the folder will point to sdcard folder of the second user.

btw, where did you move the music to?
    01-15-2013 02:42 PM
    Google play music doesn't allow you to move music around like other music apps do. Others can probably elaborate more.
    01-15-2013 02:45 PM
    When you download a song on put it on the device, I have a feeling all Google Play does is cache it. It doesn't actually download it. There isnt a hard copy I don't think. I don't like it either, because there is a specific part of a song I'd like to make my notification but I can't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    01-15-2013 02:50 PM
    Google play music doesn't allow you to move music around like other music apps do. Others can probably elaborate more.
    When you download a song on put it on the device, I have a feeling all Google Play does is cache it. It doesn't actually download it. There isnt a hard copy I don't think. I don't like it either, because there is a specific part of a song I'd like to make my notification but I can't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    sorry, OP said he/she "downloaded a song from a website on chrome" and not downloaded from play music. you guys are talking about different thing here
    01-15-2013 02:54 PM
    I just moved them from the "Download" folder to the "Music" folder, I like having everything organized.

So whenever I do that i want to use the "sdcard" folder in the main folder?
    01-15-2013 03:03 PM
    nevermind that didn't work, any suggestions?
    01-15-2013 03:08 PM
    I just moved them from the "Download" folder to the "Music" folder, I like having everything organized.

when you download a file from internet Android will automatically index the files you downloaded. That's why you saw the file instantly on your Google play music app.

but when you move/delete files using Astro they wont get indexed right away (Android doesn't do indexing for apps who move files). it takes a while.

I have heard that rebooting the device will automatically reindex the files. give reboot a try
    01-15-2013 03:12 PM
    when you download a file from internet Android will automatically index the files you downloaded. That's why you saw the file instantly on your Google play music app.

but when you move/delete files using Astro they wont get indexed right away (Android doesn't do indexing for apps who move files). it takes a while.

I have heard that rebooting the device will automatically reindex the files. give reboot a try
    moving the file from and to the "storage" then "sdcard0" folders and then rebooting worked! so thank you...is there any way to force indexing so I dont have to reboot every time i do something like that?
    01-15-2013 03:31 PM
    moving the file from and to the "storage" then "sdcard0" folders and then rebooting worked! so thank you...is there any way to force indexing so I dont have to reboot every time i do something like that?
    dont seem like there is a way atm, most file manager should have this force reindexing imo. but indexing is processor intense task so less is always better.

Edit: btw,

/sdcard
    /storage/emulated/0
    /storage/emulated/legacy
    /storage/sdcard0

all the above are same and 1 folder. out of the 4 one is real folder and the rest are just shortcut. I dont know which is the actual folder tbh.
    if see properties of these folder they will have same no of files/folder/size/date modified etc
    01-15-2013 04:55 PM