Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Skype (slow log in)

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (a cursory search revealed nothing) but could anyone please confirm whether logging in to Skype on the nexus 10 takes significantly longer than on other devices? It takes upwards of a minute to be fully logged in. I have an android phone which takes nothing like this long. It doesn't seem to be caused by having multiple users on the device either, as the issue occurred prior to me setting up my girlfriend as an additional user.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much - Skype still works once you're logged in - it is just that it seems odd for such a blisteringly fast device to have an issue like this..

Default Re: Skype (slow log in)

Quote Originally Posted by Olly1978 View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (a cursory search revealed nothing) but could anyone please confirm whether logging in to Skype on the nexus 10 takes significantly longer than on other devices? It takes upwards of a minute to be fully logged in. I have an android phone which takes nothing like this long. It doesn't seem to be caused by having multiple users on the device either, as the issue occurred prior to me setting up my girlfriend as an additional user.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much - Skype still works once you're logged in - it is just that it seems odd for such a blisteringly fast device to have an issue like this..
    I read that the new version is a bit slow to log in. I've used it twice this week and I recall thinking, darn, that takes awhile! but then I was on and forgot about it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I think its a skype issue. Sometimes it takes forever for me to log in on my gs3 also. I haven't tried lately on my n10.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

I have the same problem on both my N10 & S2. Has to be a Skype issue.

Sent from my N10 using Tapatalk HD
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2

The Skype app is suprisingly . I've had it crash a bunch of times too, which really makes the slow log in **** you off.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

The current version of the Skype app is slower to log in for me to on both my Nexus 10 and Galaxy Nexus. I think sign in time is also quite dependent on the server side, for a couple of weeks over Christmas Skype was REALLY slow to connect (taking 2 or 3 minutes), then it was back to "normal". But connecting from the same place using the same version of Skype, my Nexus 10 doesn't feel any slower to connect than my Galaxy Nexus, but I haven't timed it.

This is probably due to the authentication process being slightly more elaborate after they enabled Microsoft ID (formerly 'Live ID/Passport/Hotmail') and Facebook Connect login capabilities to the Android client. Microsoft is killing off the Windows Live Messenger medium, servers and client, come March - Skype is going to take over all of the accounts and you can merge your Skype username with your Microsoft ID. Longer login times have been appearing on the Windows and Linux clients as well (for me) ever since the newer version that allows you to login using the newer mediums. Yes, it's Skype - not the Nexus, not the Android OS.
    Thanked by: