Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default stream over HDMI from USB drive

After much debate, I think I finally decided that I am going to get a N10, unfortunately my current situation makes it impossible to justify $100 for 16 more GB of memory...

I used my tablet a lot for movies for my kids on the go... I know with the right app I can stream movies from a thumb drive right?
    and with the right tv and cable I can stream over HDMI ...

But can you do both at the same time?

thanx
    Danny

Default Re: stream over HDMI from USB drive

My understanding is :with te correct app you can copy from an extenal drive [usb/microSd/ ETC] to the HD on the nexus 10. PLay the media from the external storage [connected through an OTG usb Cable] you woul dneed to root the device.

I'm not sure if 'Streaming' is the right word to use but yes the Nexus has a Micro HDMi out which [using the correct cable] will plug into most modern TVs [Not made by panasonic] and the media will apper on the TV screen.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
    Thanked by:

from my understanding, Yes, you can do both at the same time.

streaming from USB to your TV via nexus 10, Yes!!!
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    My understanding is :with te correct app you can copy from an extenal drive [usb/microSd/ ETC] to the HD on the nexus 10. PLay the media from the external storage [connected through an OTG usb Cable] you woul dneed to root the device.
    From the description here
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
    this app should allow you to play a video on a thumbdrive without copying it over to the N10..

This solves my biggest issue, needing the ability to bring my kids movie collection with me on trips...
    For daily use I can just keep their favorite movies on it, but for long road trips and overnight stays away from home, I want the ability to bring them all...

I assume if I want the capability to read and write to the USB drive, I would need root, which is tempting...

thanx for the responses
    Danny
    KJ

Quote Originally Posted by dcastillo View Post
    After much debate, I think I finally decided that I am going to get a N10, unfortunately my current situation makes it impossible to justify $100 for 16 more GB of memory...

I used my tablet a lot for movies for my kids on the go... I know with the right app I can stream movies from a thumb drive right?
    and with the right tv and cable I can stream over HDMI ...

But can you do both at the same time?

thanx
    Danny
    I do this all of the time using a USB OTG cable and the Nexus Media Importer App. I also connect to a hard drive using a USB Y cable to provide power. You may want to invest in the Pogo Charger. I recently had to stop watching a movie from the flash drive and download it to the Nexus 10 because I was out of battery... you can't of course charge while the USB is connected.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

If you only plan on using for movies, you better off getting something cheaper. The Nexus 10 has way too much processing to be limited to movie duty. The games on the Nexus 10 are great. But, real games that make use of the N10 take up a lot of space. If you are truly worried about $100 price difference, maybe you should get something like a Galaxy Tab 10.1 or Transformer Pad. They are a little cheaper and also have an SD Slot.
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanx for the repy G...
    I completely agree with you, but I do like to play games as well, such as Shadow Gun, MC3... Kids movies just happens to be the most used

And after having a Xoom and a galaxy nexus, I will do whatever I can to get pure google devices from now on... I will be happy knowing Im supported by google for 2 years...
    just so happens they came in stock today, got one on order
    Thanx for all the advice
    -Danny