stream over HDMI from USB drive

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
After much debate, I think I finally decided that I am going to get a N10, unfortunately my current situation makes it impossible to justify $100 for 16 more GB of memory...

I used my tablet a lot for movies for my kids on the go... I know with the right app I can stream movies from a thumb drive right?
and with the right tv and cable I can stream over HDMI ...

But can you do both at the same time?

thanx
Danny

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is :with te correct app you can copy from an extenal drive [usb/microSd/ ETC] to the HD on the nexus 10. PLay the media from the external storage [connected through an OTG usb Cable] you woul dneed to root the device.

I'm not sure if 'Streaming' is the right word to use but yes the Nexus has a Micro HDMi out which [using the correct cable] will plug into most modern TVs [Not made by panasonic] and the media will apper on the TV screen.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is :with te correct app you can copy from an extenal drive [usb/microSd/ ETC] to the HD on the nexus 10. PLay the media from the external storage [connected through an OTG usb Cable] you woul dneed to root the device.

From the description here
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...sb.importer&feature=nav_result&token=AXHo0Dn4
this app should allow you to play a video on a thumbdrive without copying it over to the N10..

This solves my biggest issue, needing the ability to bring my kids movie collection with me on trips...
For daily use I can just keep their favorite movies on it, but for long road trips and overnight stays away from home, I want the ability to bring them all...

I assume if I want the capability to read and write to the USB drive, I would need root, which is tempting...

thanx for the responses
Danny

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
After much debate, I think I finally decided that I am going to get a N10, unfortunately my current situation makes it impossible to justify $100 for 16 more GB of memory...

I used my tablet a lot for movies for my kids on the go... I know with the right app I can stream movies from a thumb drive right?
and with the right tv and cable I can stream over HDMI ...

But can you do both at the same time?

thanx
Danny

I do this all of the time using a USB OTG cable and the Nexus Media Importer App. I also connect to a hard drive using a USB Y cable to provide power. You may want to invest in the Pogo Charger. I recently had to stop watching a movie from the flash drive and download it to the Nexus 10 because I was out of battery... you can't of course charge while the USB is connected.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
If you only plan on using for movies, you better off getting something cheaper. The Nexus 10 has way too much processing to be limited to movie duty. The games on the Nexus 10 are great. But, real games that make use of the N10 take up a lot of space. If you are truly worried about $100 price difference, maybe you should get something like a Galaxy Tab 10.1 or Transformer Pad. They are a little cheaper and also have an SD Slot.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for the repy G...
I completely agree with you, but I do like to play games as well, such as Shadow Gun, MC3... Kids movies just happens to be the most used ;)

And after having a Xoom and a galaxy nexus, I will do whatever I can to get pure google devices from now on... I will be happy knowing Im supported by google for 2 years...
just so happens they came in stock today, got one on order :)
Thanx for all the advice
-Danny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair