Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: Update coming this month: JB 4.2.2

Nexus 10 user here that has at least daily freezes or reboots on 4.2.1, even with location services disabled and completely abandoning Chrome.

I got the 4.2.2 OTA and installed it today. I am going to keep location services off and keep using Firefox instead of Chrome so the use case remains the same for a week or so. I will make sure to update with my experience on 4.2.2.

If all goes well, I will turn on location services and begin using Chrome as well and I will check back in after some time with that configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    download the OTA and flash it. thats what i did last night
    I did that for 4.1 on my SIII before I rooted it, however someone in the forums was nice enough to post the update. Where did you find 4.2.2 for N10? Just curious for the future.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

This update should make the Chrome users happy at least. :P

How do you guys getting the updates. Im checking every hour and no update?

Quote Originally Posted by Kombinationz View Post
    How do you guys getting the updates. Im checking every hour and no update?
    You can get the update by using his method: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-update-4.html post 91, took me several attempts but it worked on both my Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.

I copied the instructions from the Nexus 7 thread mentioned above.

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All
    2. Find Google Services Framework
    3. Tap on Force Stop
    4. Select Clear Data
    5. Head back to the Nexus 7s Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update

Instructions courtesy of - How to Get the Nexus 7 Android 4.2.2 Update Right Now
    Thanked by:
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts

Yep, I forced it earlier and got the Android update. But I am now getting errors on Google Play trying to update apps. Hmm.

Update for XXXXX could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC-S-5:AEC-0])

Either the update or the clearing services damaged something. I had to delete my Google account, then add it back to fix the above problem.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I came home from work and it had already done the update it self. I Just had to give the okay to restart and reboot. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by curlysir View Post
    You can get the update by using his method: http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-update-4.html post 91, took me several attempts but it worked on both my Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.

I copied the instructions from the Nexus 7 thread mentioned above.

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All
    2. Find Google Services Framework
    3. Tap on Force Stop
    4. Select Clear Data
    5. Head back to the Nexus 7s Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update

Instructions courtesy of - How to Get the Nexus 7 Android 4.2.2 Update Right Now
    This worked for me. It didn't work the first time but I tried it again immediately after the first attempt and the update then showed up.

Now if only my battery was charged enough to install the update... I have the update downloaded and will be installing it shortly.

(Edit: Update complete. I figured I would need to have the battery at 50% or more but it let me install it at 20% instead. Apps are installing/updating as usual.)

It worked for My Nexus 10 in the UK.

I finally got the update. The update didn't seem to to improve the battery life though. I did find out something interesting though. Some people have reported that certain app/games makes their screen stutter when launching their program. I just tested the game that always makes my screen stutter when launching, and got zero stutter. Works perfectly now. The google now widget is a nice addition but doesn't appear to refresh the weather in the widget, which is disappointing. Lag from currents disappeared also. I have google currents stretched out so it fits a whole page, which is really neat getting a whole day of news in one stack of 8 inch squares. But if you use to notice if you went from that huge currents widget to another page that had multiple smaller widgets, there was a very noticeable lag, but thats fixed now. So far no random reboots and no noticeable increase of Available ram.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Yep, I forced it earlier and got the Android update. But I am now getting errors on Google Play trying to update apps. Hmm.

Update for XXXXX could not be downloaded due to an error. (Error retrieving information from server. [RPC-S-5:AEC-0])

Either the update or the clearing services damaged something. I had to delete my Google account, then add it back to fix the above problem.
    I have two Nexus 7's along with my N10. The N10 worked fine but both N7's had this problem. I had to delete and re-add my account to the N7's. What was frustrating is that the N7's are for the kids and I turn off sync for everything, so I add the account and immediately turn that off. One of the two N7's insisted on downloading a bunch of apps despite me disabling sync from Google Play. I even rebooted and ticked/unticked the checkbox, it would not stop. I then had to go in and uninstall a bunch of my apps that downloaded on of my kid's N7's.

I was able to force the update on my Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 by doing the Google Framework trick.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Just got it with the Google Service Framework trick. It took doing it 4-5 times but it finally hit.

I got the update on my N10, and N7 last night. No issues so far.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"

wish I had seen this framework trick when i was at home. Oh well I'll have to wait until tonight after work.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

I just plugged the power cord into my N10 and... it shut itself down. It's a graceful shutdown, but still. Maybe 4.2.2 isn't the answer to that problem.

Still haven't received the update, despite my best efforts to force it. I noticed that my N10 is not listed under my devices in the Google Play store...would that have anything to do with not getting the update?

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    wish I had seen this framework trick when i was at home. Oh well I'll have to wait until tonight after work.
    I brought mine to work just in case, sure as stuff - came back from lunch and its got the update ready to install. But, drumroll please, I am waiting for my battery to get back up before I can proceed! (But I brought the charger to work too.) I'm going full factory reset after this too, for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by stimulatedboredom View Post
    Still haven't received the update, despite my best efforts to force it. I noticed that my N10 is not listed under my devices in the Google Play store...would that have anything to do with not getting the update?
    Replying to myself. Nevermind, update just arrived!

Update just arrived for me too. Finally.

Everyone in Canada with a Nexus 10, check yours now too if you already haven't.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    I finally got the update. The update didn't seem to to improve the battery life though.
    Wouldn't expect that, since there is nothing wrong with battery life

I did find out something interesting though. Some people have reported that certain app/games makes their screen stutter when launching their program. I just tested the game that always makes my screen stutter when launching, and got zero stutter. Works perfectly now.
    Good observation. I just verified my problems with the screen flicker in WiFi Analyzer are GONE. I will update that thread/topic also.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:

Just got the update on my N10, but no dice for my N7 or N4. I did not try any tricks like clearing Google services framework.

I did notice that they have changed the gradient on wallpapers: it appears significantly darker on your home screen at the top and bottom to make icons easier to see. The only complaint I have coming from 4.2.1 was that the voice recognition was a little wonky. I only see one mic on the Nexus 10 (on the back). That may have something to do with it.

On my end, I used the N10 all day after the update and did not experience one freeze or reboot, which is huge for me. That particular issue was my biggest gripe and Google never seemed to acknowledge that it was a problem. Also, Chrome seems to load / perform faster.

So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Wouldn't expect that, since there is nothing wrong with battery life
    I disagree. Though overall the battery life is great. In games the battery acts like these require tons of power and drain up to 3 times the speed of another activity. It doesn't really seem to matter how simple the game, it pretty much treats all of them as heavy power consumption. I was hoping for some better power scaling for casual games. Though if they did that in the update, then it would have been a custom update targeting the Nexus 10 A15 processor when Android 4.2.2 wants to be universal stock across multiple devices. Its not really a huge complaint considering they seemed to Iron out the bugs on the the Nexus 10. I'll just half to wait for better power scaling on different hardware down the road.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Small_law View Post
    The only complaint I have coming from 4.2.1 was that the voice recognition was a little wonky. I only see one mic on the Nexus 10 (on the back). That may have something to do with it.
    There are 2 microphones on the Nexus 10, one on the back just below the camera as you saw and another on the bottom edge, in the left hand POGO magnet (bit of an odd place to put a microphone, but I think the XOOM has one down at the bottom amongst the connectors also).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast