Tablet never wakes up from screen turning off

anon(56379)

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Unless I am missing something, when I turn off the screen, I have no more than 10 seconds before the tablet appears to lock up and I am forced to reboot. I have seen the various posts about random reboots and issues when charging, buy not specifically this issue. Am I the only one? Is it hardware or software? I don't like it, buy I can live with it assuming a software update will solve the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Unless I am missing something, when I turn off the screen, I have no more than 10 seconds before the tablet appears to lock up and I am forced to reboot. I have seen the various posts about random reboots and issues when charging, buy not specifically this issue. Am I the only one? Is it hardware or software? I don't like it, buy I can live with it assuming a software update will solve the issue.

I have not heard of what you have described, before. You left off CRITICAL information, such as WHEN this started. I suspect you have a software issue with something you loaded. So unload that "stuff" until you find it. If it continues, perform a factory reset and re-introduce one thing at a time. Pretty standard advice.

anon(56379)

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the tablet two days ago, and it started immediately. I'll do a factory reset and try to have my apps load one at a time to determine if it is a specific app issue or not.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the tablet two days ago, and it started immediately.

Eeew, that is not a good sign. I will tell you that what you describe is very much not normal.

I'll do a factory reset and try to have my apps load one at a time to determine if it is a specific app issue or not.

Best thing you can do for troubleshooting.

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
To shut off the screen it should just take a quick push. If you are pushing longer you are turning the device off. Experiment with how long you push the power button to turn the screen off.

anon(56379)

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So I did the factory reset, restored from my Google account, which means I loaded fairly standard apps, some games, etc. Initially it seemed that the tablet responded to the power button and awoke immediately. I thought maybe my earlier problems were due to upgrading to 4.2.1, so I avoided loading it for a while. After a while letting the tablet sit, I hit the power button to awaken the screen, and the same problem now seems to exist. The only way I can get the screen to turn back on is to hold down on the power button, which reboots the tablet. I love the tablet, just hoping it has more to do with software than hardware.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So I did the factory reset, restored from my Google account, which means I loaded fairly standard apps, some games, etc.

Reloading stuff will tend to ruin the testing. You have to be methodical and make sure it works right (and reasonably long) between each load. It sucks, but is important.

anon(56379)

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Now reverting to only stock google apps, taking it one at a time... you're right it is slow and methodical, just need to be patient I suppose....

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You should read my post on here about 'smartcase causes N10 to crash and shut off instead of sleep', its along the same vein. In my tests I now use a 3 day period. It took me about two weeks of staight testing, more like a month of "kinda testing" to isolate that the magnet in my smartcase was causing this problem... Its a labor of love, thats for sure!

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You should read my post on here about 'smartcase causes N10 to crash and shut off instead of sleep', its along the same vein. In my tests I now use a 3 day period. It took me about two weeks of staight testing, more like a month of "kinda testing" to isolate that the magnet in my smartcase was causing this problem... Its a labor of love, thats for sure!

I am ~ 1 week into testing charging with my device turned off [inside magnetic poetic slimline case, with the cover open]. Since I began testing I have had no reboots. Now with Android 4.2.2 rolling out all previous testing is moot. We will have to start over from scratch.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Now with Android 4.2.2 rolling out all previous testing is moot. We will have to start over from scratch.

:) My thoughts exactly, last night after reading the news on the update. I was/am both happy and sad! Happy about .2 and how it may fix things, sad for my progress thus far. HA!

ShuckyD

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had similar issues with my N10 as you describe, in addition even before I installed apps, it would randomly freeze up, reboot and/or hang. This was unlike a friend of mine who had no issues with theirs at all. I also had the issue where it wouldnt want to wake up so I was forced to reboot it about 10-20% of the time when using it. I eventually submitted an incident with Google and I've got to say, their level of customer support is/was great. I should have a new Nexus 10 awaiting me when I get home tonight and I have a couple weeks to migrate my data over from my existing one and get it shipped back to them (all expenses paid).

So I have heard that a few people were experiencing what I was going through, but apparently Google knows we exist and will do whatever thye can to right the situation... at least in my case.

anon(56379)

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So the solution was to return and replace the tablet with a new one, with the new tablet it has been running beautifully!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie