YouTube app and buffering

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had this problem since the beginning, and was hoping upgrading to JDQ39 would fix it, but it didn't.

Whenever I try and watch videos in the YouTube app, they will stop and buffer from what ranges to about every 20-30 seconds, to every 5 seconds. It is absolutely maddening, especially when I'm on a 20Mb connection and have zero issues playing YouTube videos on any computer. It does it at work too, and we have a 100Mb connection there. Sometimes switching from the HD version to the lower quality version helps if the video has the option, sometimes it doesn't help at all.

From searching around the internet it seems lots of other people have this same problem. I've tried some of the fixes like clearing YouTube's data and cache and restarting, but it did not fix it.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't have Netflix or Hulu, I do have Amazon Prime with Instant Video but there's no app for it, so really YouTube is the only place I want to go to watch videos, and it makes me mental when it does this buffering crap.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Funduro

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I dont know if this has anything to do with the update but my notification light now works..... till now. Will need at least 24 hours on this coz its been driving me bananas, now it works now it doesnt, now it works.....you get my drift :mad: (Oooops sorry wrong thread :)

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What worked for me on my N7, go to wifi>settings>turn off wifi optimization
hope I helped
I was having the same issue with buffering in the YouTube app. This fixed the problem. Too early to tell what effect it will have on the battery though, if any. Thanks for the tip!!!

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem tablet is 25 days old. It is only on the video which are streamed via you tube or web embedded. Google says to go to the lowest quality available & to start & pause video so that you can watch it buffer out and then you can watch it uninterrupted. Such BS Why did I pay for the best resolution screen on the market if I am to watch videos at 240.

I heard of a fix relating to an upgrade on your router but I haven't tried it because Google doesn't know what is the real problem.:-$tt

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Isn't news. YouTube app sucks. I have an iPhone and frequent Apple forums quite often and its preferred to use the YouTube web app or 3rd party app over the actual app. Just getting throttled. My biggest gripe with Androids YouTube app is there is no way for it to use SD as the default resolution.

I just tried the WiFi optimization with no effect. If I wait a couple hours it will stream HD no problem once network traffic slows down. I have a 30 mbs home connection which I can get those speeds easily, usually much higher, but not to a YouTube server between 3pm - 11pm. :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

njb52

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Glad someone started this thread because it is aggravating, whether using Youtube app or browser. Looking forward to a solution when someone finds success.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I forgot to update the thread. Turning off wifi optimization mostly fixed the problem, but there are still a few hiccups here and there.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
If you can speed test at 10 MBS or better with WiFi optimization on then turning it off will have no effect. Any noticed will be coincidence or in your head.

4 billion hours of video are watched each mouth, 72 hours of videos are uploaded every MINUTE. Don't be surprised if their servers get slow. And yes that buffering every 5 seconds annoys the crap out of me.

There used to be a time that you could pause the video and let it load the entire thing but they fixed that. Lol...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

andygold

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Glad I found this thread! I've been looking at switching over to Android from iOS, and was wondering if there was some issue with YouTube on Android.
A coworker's HTC Evo 4G (on Sprint, with full signal bars) was always buffering or not connecting properly while at work, while my iPhone 3GS (from 2009) had no issues on YouTube and AT&T (or while both were on the same WiFi network). So, while lusting over a Galaxy Note 2 at AT&T the other day, I tried YT on the Note 2 which was on their WiFi network in their store. At the same time I queued up the same video on my iPhone, also connected to the store's WiFi network. My phone ran fine while the Note 2 kept buffering and stuttering.

As an asides, after playing with the Note 2 I can't get past the dull, bluish, very little white AMOLED screen. Maxed out brightness and with the color temp set to the brightest white, it's still no match for the brightness and sharpness of my old iPhone.
So, thinking that maybe the Note 2's screen was maybe defective or lost some of its pizazz over its life as a demo phone, I headed off to Verizon across the street, just to see if their Note 2 would have a brighter screen than the one over at AT&T. While over at Verizon, I tried my 3GS connected to AT&T's cellular network versus Verizon's Note 2 on the store's WiFi network on YouTube. I queued up the same video on both phones and let them play. The Note 2 started playing a few seconds sooner than the iPhone, but within a few seconds, the Note 2 started buffering, starting and stopping throughout, and just before the end of the video, it crashed to a black screen (maybe the demo phone turned off, but I don't know). The iPhone played the video without issue. I tried the same test, but with the the Note 2, and the iPhone 5 nearby. The Note 2 had issues while the iPhone had none.

So, that 's 3 Android phones (1 EVO and 2 Note 2's) that cannot seem to play YT videos without buffering multiple times. I did raise the question to a saleslady at Verizon about the YT issues I was seeing, and she said that was typical because all of the phones in the store are sharing the same network. Maybe so, but why wouldn't their iPhone have the same issues as their Note 2 since both were on the same router?

As another asides...the Note 2's screen at Verizon was just as disappointing as the one at AT&T. I've now decided that an AMOLED screen is not for me. I had truly wanted the Note 2 due to the S-pen (and the 5.5" screen), but I think I might end up getting the LG Optimus G Pro now. 5.5" screen, gorgeous, very bright, very high def IPS LED screen, but alas no S-Pen, and battery life not nearly as good as the Note 2. I gotta back and check out the YT on that phone now. Hopefully it works!!! I truly don't want to get an iPhone 5 as even with its larger screen, its still tooo small for my aging eyes.

Matthew Dowell

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the new YouTube app .adk See here: YouTube lines up its latest hit | Internet & Media - CNET News for more details.

Buffering problem in regards to my Nexus 10 seem to have gone away, I tried about a dozen videos this morning without a hiccup. (The new UI is really slick BTW) I've got two guesses as to why this was happening.

#1 My original Youtube app needed to be re-installed as something in how the app was storing or caching data was jamming up the video playback.
#2 The issue might have been corrected in the updated Youtube app.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I turn wifi optimization off, new yt app /or also old, yet youtube always buffers on my N10 but perfectly on my droid 4 and brothers droid razr maxx hd. It seems to be a issue with the tablet, even with full wifi they hardly load.

ikenvape

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I turn wifi optimization off, new yt app /or also old, yet youtube always buffers on my N10 but perfectly on my droid 4 and brothers droid razr maxx hd. It seems to be a issue with the tablet, even with full wifi they hardly load.
Agreed, I had my N10 for 6 months and lately it has been embarrassingly slow. From browsing to YouTube and everything in between. I formatted data, flashed every rom under the sun and reverted to bonestock and it's still a slug. My morning routine is to drink a cup of coffee and watch some news on YouTube. Like clockwork, 3 minutes in and freeze lag. We always have to resort to my wife's iPad or my gs3 or her note2. Even if im right next to my router that is putting out 100mbps I can't load a page without hitting stop and refresh a few times.
I'm at wits end with this crap and refuse to buy even a newer router for one device that is going to be outdated in a month or two.
Sorry for the rant but seriously wtf.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, I had my N10 for 6 months and lately it has been embarrassingly slow. From browsing to YouTube and everything in between. I formatted data, flashed every rom under the sun and reverted to bonestock and it's still a slug. My morning routine is to drink a cup of coffee and watch some news on YouTube. Like clockwork, 3 minutes in and freeze lag. We always have to resort to my wife's iPad or my gs3 or her note2. Even if im right next to my router that is putting out 100mbps I can't load a page without hitting stop and refresh a few times.
I'm at wits end with this crap and refuse to buy even a newer router for one device that is going to be outdated in a month or two.
Sorry for the rant but seriously wtf.

I don't have tha tproblem with mine, so assuming it isn't a troublesome router, I would conclude there is something wrong with your specific N10. Have you tried testing it elsewhere on another router at a friend or relative's house?

313donnie

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I have had this problem since the beginning, and was hoping upgrading to JDQ39 would fix it, but it didn't.

Whenever I try and watch videos in the YouTube app, they will stop and buffer from what ranges to about every 20-30 seconds, to every 5 seconds. It is absolutely maddening, especially when I'm on a 20Mb connection and have zero issues playing YouTube videos on any computer. It does it at work too, and we have a 100Mb connection there. Sometimes switching from the HD version to the lower quality version helps if the video has the option, sometimes it doesn't help at all.

From searching around the internet it seems lots of other people have this same problem. I've tried some of the fixes like clearing YouTube's data and cache and restarting, but it did not fix it.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't have Netflix or Hulu, I do have Amazon Prime with Instant Video but there's no app for it, so really YouTube is the only place I want to go to watch videos, and it makes me mental when it does this buffering crap.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Freak the app... Had same problem with the app., I deleted the app. and just Google "youtube" . No more buffering

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800