4.2.2 did not fix ALL crashes on the Nexus 10

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the people who's been trying to isolate causes of crashes on my N10 in hopes of setting it up to where it has the same "up time stability" as my phone or Kindle.

4.2.2 greatly reduced the amount of crashes, but unfortunatly not all of them. I loaded up just my Play downloads, after a fresh install of 4.2.2. About 1.5 days into it I found the N10 had crashed while in sleep mode and needed to be hard powered on.

It started off as more of a curiosity, but honestly has become "lame" that its SO HARD to make the Nexus 10 simply stay on when you have not turned it off.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so now I have ratched it up a notch on the testing - I've set up continuous WiFi logcat debug streaming to a computer at my house. Since Google removed the ability to view logcat files on non-rooted phones this is one of the few ways left to see from the system what the error is. I had to piece together info found at various places on the net to get this working, so I wanted to post it here in case others want to do the same.

1) Install the sofware and drivers needed to run adb.exe (many sources online how to do this & yes its a bit tricky)
2) Enable USB debugging via Developer Options
3) PLUG IN USB cord
4) ENTER THIS COMMAND: adb tcpip 5555
5) ENTER THIS COMMAND (Use your Nexus's IP not mine): adb connect 192.168.1.66
6) UNPLUG USB
7) ENTER THIS COMMAND: adb logcat >> filename.txt

I'm guessing I'll be back in 3 to 6 days with some updates. (Your welcome Google & Samsung)

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I had a couple of crashes before the update (maybe once a day) but since the update its been great. Not one crash yet. It sucks dime people are still having issues. Hopefully you get to the root of it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I had a couple of crashes before the update (maybe once a day) but since the update its been great. Not one crash yet. It sucks dime people are still having issues. Hopefully you get to the root of it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Thanks. I'm pretty confident I just have an offending app. I just wish they could have left in better logcat access, or made a more robust crash reporting process - I'd be more than happy to not install the app(s), but just need to know which ones they are! :|

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Me too. It is a shame such things happen, and it can be a real pain to figure out which app is the problem.

Well luckily I haven't had that problem. When mine crashed it was only with Location services on, but after the update that's not a problem anymore so now mine is perfect. I hate Chrome for no reason so I'm good. lol

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
So far the logging via wifi while using the tablet in "real use" is pretty slick. I can see where it updates its screen icon database as I move them around the screen layout. So I'm hoping now I can just "zoom right to the offending app and get rid of it" without all the "install, test, wait, repeat".

When I first got 4.2.2 I installed a lot of my apps, more than I would in normal testing of this. But I wanted to cut right to the chase - "have they fixed it all?" (No. It did way better than .1, but did crash after a day and a half.) I am going to do one 3 day test period with only Boat Browser installed (plus stock apps obviously) just to be sure I dont see the unit crash with (essentially) no added software. Last time I did that it performed good, or at least it did seem to do good. (To be honest, since then I've learned a lot more about detecting crashes.)

If anyone out there is also trying a similar process, but not using the wifi logging, I'd encourage them to try it!

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I got a crash in 4.2.2. Was listing to Pandora and updating my Facebook status, then the audio turned to errrrrrrrrrrrr and froze to the point i hard rebooted. Tablet really seems better after the update, but it shows google is really half assing things lately. I find it funny that google has tons of hackers on pay roll that reported a record number of Microsoft vulnerabilities lately. But google fixing its own short comings seem to be out of the question. WTF.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I got a crash in 4.2.2. Was listing to Pandora and updating my Facebook status, then the audio turned to errrrrrrrrrrrr and froze to the point i hard rebooted. Tablet really seems better after the update, but it shows google is really half assing things lately. I find it funny that google has tons of hackers on pay roll that reported a record number of Microsoft vulnerabilities lately. But google fixing its own short comings seem to be out of the question. WTF.

Don't make imbalanced comparisons. Bugs =/= vulnerabilities.

Also with Key Lime Pie ?imminent? it becomes a business decision when any non security issue rears its head.

Funduro

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a suggestion for you maybe I can help. List all your apps and I will compare them with mine and let you know which apps I DONT have since I have never had a single crash/reboot so far and my N10 is working fine both before and after update. I dont know maybe this can help

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I got my update on February 15th in the morning. Prior to the update I was getting 1 or 2 crashes per day. But since I got my update I have not had 1 single issue. I usually have about 6 hours of screen time per day at least and I have 112 apps installed. I stream music throughout the day from SiriusXM so my tablet is going almost all day long in some form or another. I used it almost all day yesterday to watch movies on my big screen TV using the HDMI out port. When I say all day I mean we watched 6 movies.

I ordered my N10 on launch day & got it on the following Monday. Just providing you with as much information as possible so you can get to the bottom of the issues you're having.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a suggestion for you maybe I can help. List all your apps and I will compare them with mine and let you know which apps I DONT have since I have never had a single crash/reboot so far and my N10 is working fine both before and after update. I dont know maybe this can help

I dont think that would help since I'm running basic apps. I have tons of games but i wasnt running them in the background. Got about 6 widgets running, but 2 are made from google and the rest from good developers. I do struggle with ram though the device locks like 800mb to keep system performance up. I try to keep my tablet at 500mb so i can play games good, but sometimes it drops to 400mb left for some reason. I check everyday for new app updates. I filter reviews by device model and latest version in the play store so i know things are ok to download.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I had a random reboot yesterday, but it was while my kids were playing a flash game in firefox. I suspect that the flash game is to fault.