Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 10 getting really hot!

So I have a question about overheating. I have had the nexus 10 for 2 weeks and it never even got hot. Then last night I played a relatively casual game for an hour and only realized how hot it was when I finished. The nexus at no point showed decreased performance, but it was uncomfortably hot. I had also started charging it for the last 20 min of playing the game.

Could this have harmed the hardware? Can internal heat damage the screen or other internals? I am probably being a little paranoid but it was really hot. Thanks for you input.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 10 getting really hot!

I doubt it could get to hot. I believe the processor chip has a thermal sensor which would slow the chip down to prevent over heating.

The Nexus 10 seems to treat all games as high graphic games. It tends to heat up always towards the upper left or upper middle. Doesn't seem to matter if your playing a casual game like Angry Birds or something like Shadowgun Deadzone on max graphics. The heat is pretty uncomfortable, but the Nexus 10 protects against over heating by auto shut off. Frankly you dont have to worry cause samsung really makes things strong. I ran a battery bench mark test which made my processor run at 100% for about 6 hours while showing me the internal heat in numbers and it never got at anything super alarming. Just showed me battery life isn't super great but maybe above average.
    Thanked by:

This is happening to me and I got my "replacement" around the same time as you.

With my old Nexus 10 it shutdown (I'm guessing from heat, since it was hot) about 1 hour into a movie. That was the last straw for me so I returned it and got another one. A couple of nights ago the battery was getting low so I plugged it into the wall and within like 10 minutes it got terribly hot in my hands. I also noticed the percentage of the battery wasn't going up even though it said charging. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started charging again and cooled off.

The same thing happened tonight. I plugged it into the wall and a short while later it got really hot, the screen kind of lagged in the android store (though was smooth in boat browser.) I didn't have any other programs running. I replugged it in and it still wasn't charging. I rebooted it twice and it started charging again.

I hope I didn't get a bad one!

mine gets hot after playin g games too..

hey how do you do the battery benchmark test..what app do you use? so i can check mine if its still 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lietz View Post
    The Nexus 10 seems to treat all games as high graphic games. It tends to heat up always towards the upper left or upper middle. Doesn't seem to matter if your playing a casual game like Angry Birds or something like Shadowgun Deadzone on max graphics. The heat is pretty uncomfortable, but the Nexus 10 protects against over heating by auto shut off. Frankly you dont have to worry cause samsung really makes things strong. I ran a battery bench mark test which made my processor run at 100% for about 6 hours while showing me the internal heat in numbers and it never got at anything super alarming. Just showed me battery life isn't super great but maybe above average.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

The nexus 10 isn't that old, your battery should be fine unless it has a possible bad cell. Most batteries will last three better part of a year or more with regular charging cycles before there is any real noticeable performance loss.

Now if the battery heats up and over temps on a regular basis, then there is some concern there.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

I happened to be playing Minion Rush this morning and my Nexus froze. Also, the upper right hand side got really hot. Help!
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsCrazy543738 View Post
    I happened to be playing Minion Rush this morning and my Nexus froze. Also, the upper right hand side got really hot. Help!
    Getting hot is normal when playing games.
    Freezing is not, however.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

I had to pull the plug on it, then let it run out of battery. By doing that, I got it unfrozen.

Global Posts
    2,374 Global Posts

I had to pull the plug on it, then let it run out of battery. By doing that, I got it unfrozen.
    Why not just hold down the power button until it reboots?
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

I kept pushing the power button and it won't turn off. I was able to get it restarted.

Global Posts
    2,374 Global Posts

I kept pushing the power button and it won't turn off.
    You have to press it and hold it for like 20 seconds or something.

I held it down for a minute or so, and no avail.

Global Posts
    2,374 Global Posts

I held it down for a minute or so, and no avail.