Squealing noise coming from the button area

Morecoffee

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 10 is making a squealing noise, it originates around the top left corner where the buttons are. I think it just started, luckily I was on day 14 of ownership so I have initiated a replacement from Google. It is only there when the screen is on, so I guess it is something to do with that. Mine also would make a crack noise when I picked it up sometimes, not a big deal, certainly not a reason to return it but still kind of annoying. I guess something flexes in it that makes it crack. I hope the next one is free of both of these faults... and does not have any new issues. I am really enjoying having a tablet though. The hi res screen is awesome and the battery life is excellent.

deng66

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My first Nexus 10 made the exact same noises. The replacement arrived very quickly and is wonderfully silent! Hopefully yours is perfect too.

Morecoffee

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I got the new one on Friday and it is totally silent. One thing though... the seals on the Google box were both broken, is that typical when they send a replacement? The one they sent by all accounts seems to be unused... I am not going to complain or send it back.

Last edited:

Morecoffee

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
No... I did it myself.

The first one that was delivered was pre synced, my email address was already entered and the box was sealed. I still had to enter my password and download all of my apps though.

The replacement one did not have my email address pre entered... and the seals on the box were broken. I am in Canada though and the package came across the border... Customs might have looked at it. I think the first one's shipping originated in Canada.

Last edited:

rswain64

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I was having same problem. Bought my Nexus from Walmart so Google wouldn't touch it and I was out of my return window. I sent my Nexus into Samsung for repair on Friday. Probably won't see it back until late next week. Will see what happens with the replacement. It's only been 5 days without my Nexus but I'm missing it!

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
No... I did it myself.

The first one that was delivered was pre synced, my email address was already entered and the box was sealed. I still had to download all of the apps though.

The replacement one did not have my email address pre entered... and the seals on the box were broken. I am in Canada though and the package came across the border... Customs might have looked at it. I think the first one's shipping originated in Canada.

If customs opened it, it would be tagged with stamps/stickers (pretty sure.)

If the box was opened then probably someone at Google opened it. That could be because the whole tablet was a "refurb" or it could be as innocent as replacing a cable. One thing to keep in mind, there is no way they are doing any work on the hardware there - IE its not like they are refurbing units by popping them open and swapping out a chip or something - if there is a physical problem they are not going to get that device back to a working state in any effective manner, it would be a lot easier and in their best interest to just replace it by throwing in a whole, undamaged unit. That being said, its possible they recieved that device back, determined it had no issues and/or "reflashed it" and then sent it out. BUT - another scenario, someone could have returned the unit just to keep the USB cord, meaning they opened the box and swapped out just the USB cord... (Sounds too minor to be true? I suggested it in another thread here! :) )

Morecoffee

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
It occurred to me they might open the box to ensure one with the same issue is not sent back to me. The one I got had all of the plastic on it, and it looked factory applied.

These are awesome machines, the battery life is amazing!

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It occurred to me they might open the box to ensure one with the same issue is not sent back to me. The one I got had all of the plastic on it, and it looked factory applied.

These are awesome machines, the battery life is amazing!

If they do know what causes "the issues" they are sure keeping that a secret. My guess based on the condition you describe is the box was opened for something other than the tablet. it sounds like your tablet is still "brand new from the factory". :)

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I wonder how it was pre synched without them opening the box and breaking the seals.

Amazon does the same thing with Kindles. I assume they've baked that sync into the factory distribution process. Which yes creates a more costly factory distribution, but likely not tons more costly, and adds a lot of "polish" to the experience of recieving your new device.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Amazon does the same thing with Kindles. I assume they've baked that sync into the factory distribution process. Which yes creates a more costly factory distribution, but likely not tons more costly, and adds a lot of "polish" to the experience of recieving your new device.

When mine came with the seals broken I called Google, asked and was told by a Rep that they had to open the box to presynch it. I have dificulty understanding how it could be part of the factory process. Especially when I placed my order on a Friday and it was delivered the following Tuesday. There is no way my device was synched at the factory and shipped to the USA in that time frame.

Morecoffee

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The plot thickens...

When I ordered mine originally I checked the pre sync checkbox and like I said before my email address was already entered when I went to sign into my Google account, which I guess is not much of a pre sync. Maybe someone else can chime in and let us know about their unpacking experience when the pre sync box was checked when ordered.

Last edited:

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
When mine came with the seals broken I called Google, asked and was told by a Rep that they had to open the box to presynch it. I have dificulty understanding how it could be part of the factory process. Especially when I placed my order on a Friday and it was delivered the following Tuesday. There is no way my device was synched at the factory and shipped to the USA in that time frame.

Well, I'm not entirely sure how Amazon does it - but they do does it! :) It dosent seem like it would be that hard to track a specific serial number as it rolls down a distribution process and then when it reaches the shipping department make sure the "ship to" label is goverened by that serial #...
Editorial: Dear Amazon, usernames and passwords exist for a reason | Android Central

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol