Nexus 10 or Galaxy Note 10.1? Thoughts?!

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Because it can do a ton of stuff your finger can do but much quicker, it's convenient. Especially when you pair it with a tablet that is really good for school work.

Plus if you're not gonna use it you might as well not get the tablet. :p

I don't know, I've used the Note2 and i havent ever wished i had a pen. I dont think pulling a pen in and out is convenient.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, I've used the Note2 and i havent ever wished i had a pen. I dont think pulling a pen in and out is convenient.

I felt the same way when I first got my note2, coming from a gnex. But the more I make myself use it and research what it can do the more I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Your finger can register on the screen in 1024 levels of sensitivity? Please show me how you do it! And if you don't think that's helpful, play draw something. Or try writing small notes in the margins of an etext. Maybe try surfing the web when there's a small link to click on, and you don't have to constantly zoom in or out. Maybe try going to a BOLD highliter effect on a etextbook simply by pressing harder to cover a large area.

Dont play draw something as it kills my battery haha, but i do see your point for use of a pen, but is it really that much better than a stylus? or worth taking a hit on specs and price for it?

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Well obviously the S-Pen is like every other technology and you'll get some people that aren't interested. That's just how it is.
Right, which is what my reasoning is for not getting it, just dont see my self using one. Im sure the OP would like the feedback, no right or wrong just point of views.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

That's why we've been saying, OP just basically has to decide if they'll use the S pen enough. You forget the pen sometimes because the device is good enough without it. But when you need it, it's nice.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
How on God's green earth has this thread gotten this far without anybody mentioning the substandard screen resolution on the Note 10.1? It's really poor, like something from 2011.

I bought both tablets, and I'm a fan of the S Pen, but there was really no comparing the two. The screen on the Note 10.1 was so inferior, the decision was easy. The battery life on the Nexus was also better.

Loved the S Pen, light weight, and split screen of the Note 10.1 though. I hope they make one with a better screen resolution in the near future.

Also, I don't believe the Note 10.1 uses Gorilla Glass. Something about the Note 10.1's screen glass that it attracts way more fingerprints than the other tablets I've owed. It always seemed to have a thick layer of some nastiness on the screen that I was constantly having to wipe down.

sent from my Note II

Tedrab

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
There's a reason everyone ditched the stylus and palm started to dive. Because the stylus is basically a rubber fingertip. The S pen is actually capable of over 1000 sensitivities. Also, the tablet comes with a bunch of interchangeable tips so you can use exactly what you prefer. Instead of a big rubbery ball like a stupid stylus. I use a tip that is very comparable to a fine point pen.

If you want ONLY a media tablet, this isn't a conversation. The Nexus 10 is king. But if you will benefit from pretty hefty school notes or business, nothing even approaches the Note. And I still love mine for NBA League Pass, YouTube, and videos. I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I'll take 5 extra apps if it means that S pen. And mine is wi-fi so I don't have any carrier bloat. Just the Samsung stuff.

Legal American: I assume your reference to "5 extra apps" rather than go without an S pen is your way of saying you'll put up with the Bloatware. But based on my experience with the Verizon Adroid Razor Maxx, my real gripe with bloatware is that when a company (well, at least Verizon) pushes it on its customers -- it delays Google updates. In the case of my cell phone, delays have been so extreme that any reasonable consumer might conclude it's intentional so that you'll trade up your phone, at a substantial cost, even if it means doing it before the end of a two-year contract, just so you can get the most recent version of Android. I spent hours researching both tablets under discuss here and would have loved to have the S pen (because I'd much prefer to take notes by hand in business meetings), but it really ticks me off that you could spend a lot of money on a Galaxy Note 10.1 and then not obtain Google updates as soon as they are released while you watch your friends using a Nexus 10 get them right away. I realize I'm not being fair to Samsung -- I don't know if they'd behave like Verizon has and perhaps I should have spent more time trying to discern Samsung's past history with Google updates. But like a lot of people, I acted in kind of a re-active mode: so ticked off at Verizon's delay with updates that became my primary focus. But at the end of the day, you are right: they are both great tablets. It all depends on the prospective customer's primary intended uses of the device. Photography was a big issue for me so that the screen resolution was a big factor too. I've only owned my Nexus 10 for about a month and a half. It's frozen up once or twice but I found out online -- in this Android Central Website -- how to safely reboot the thing but I am concerned about the number of conversations in various places about the Nexus 10 freezing up. I'd be curious to know what Samsung's experience is with the Galaxy Note 10.1. But, again, to the extent the "freeze up" problem can be solved with software updates, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I'll get bug fixes right away as Google releases them.

Tedrab

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
These are very worthwhile comments that I only read just now after posting a reply to Legal American. I did mention, almost in passing, that the better screen resolution on the Nexus 10 was also a factor for me, primarily because I felt photos would display so much better. In fact, my concern with photography was the one thing that made me hesitate buying anything other than an iPad -- all the reviews I read and watched said that the Retina iPad, though slightly lower resolution, displayed better contrast and richer, deeper, colors. But I felt the Nexus 10 had many other advantages the iPad doesn't have (yet) and that the subjective differences between the contrast and colors in the Nexus 10 v. the iPad wold only really be noticed if you had the same photo displayed on each side-by-side. That's what reviewers do, of course, but not most consumers. Questions for you: how long have you had each tablet and can you comment on any difference you've observed in the length of time it's taken to obtain updates of Android O/S on your Galaxy Note 10.1 v Nexus 10? I'd be curious to know, since I've made such a big deal over this issue in my comment to Legal American. Pardon me if you've already talked about this some time ago. I just joined this Website a few days ago and this is the first day I've really spend any time reading posts. Thanks.

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally I found that the Nexus 10 displayed colors better as well but I've only had glimpses of an iPad screen.

Also i always found that whole Retina thing to just be a load of crap that no apple fanboy even understands what it is and just uses it to claim their apple product's screen is better than all the others.

It's still a good screen though.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

Last edited:

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Legal American: I assume your reference to "5 extra apps" rather than go without an S pen is your way of saying you'll put up with the Bloatware. But based on my experience with the Verizon Adroid Razor Maxx, my real gripe with bloatware is that when a company (well, at least Verizon) pushes it on its customers -- it delays Google updates. In the case of my cell phone, delays have been so extreme that any reasonable consumer might conclude it's intentional so that you'll trade up your phone, at a substantial cost, even if it means doing it before the end of a two-year contract, just so you can get the most recent version of Android. I spent hours researching both tablets under discuss here and would have loved to have the S pen (because I'd much prefer to take notes by hand in business meetings), but it really ticks me off that you could spend a lot of money on a Galaxy Note 10.1 and then not obtain Google updates as soon as they are released while you watch your friends using a Nexus 10 get them right away. I realize I'm not being fair to Samsung -- I don't know if they'd behave like Verizon has and perhaps I should have spent more time trying to discern Samsung's past history with Google updates. But like a lot of people, I acted in kind of a re-active mode: so ticked off at Verizon's delay with updates that became my primary focus. But at the end of the day, you are right: they are both great tablets. It all depends on the prospective customer's primary intended uses of the device. Photography was a big issue for me so that the screen resolution was a big factor too. I've only owned my Nexus 10 for about a month and a half. It's frozen up once or twice but I found out online -- in this Android Central Website -- how to safely reboot the thing but I am concerned about the number of conversations in various places about the Nexus 10 freezing up. I'd be curious to know what Samsung's experience is with the Galaxy Note 10.1. But, again, to the extent the "freeze up" problem can be solved with software updates, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I'll get bug fixes right away as Google releases them.

Ha! Well I am glad the discussion continued, because I have something to add that could be of interest - I used to feel the exact same way about carrier/vendor relationships, back w/ RIM and ATT and recently w/ Motorola and VZW. BUT - after owning a Nexus device that does get litreally the immediate current version from Google I can tell you I wish it didnt. I wish it was an option, but that you could also easily choose earlier, more stable versions. I say that because this is how it rolls - we all sit around hoping that the next update either fixes a bunch of major/minor annoyances, or we hope the next update dosent break things if things are currently good.

The N10 is really all about the hardware. Its awesome hardware. And, its intended to be tinkerd with. I've taken the plunge and gone root on my device just so I can gain access to some better logging and control settings. Its way to early into testing to actually say, but so far it feels like it runs better w/ root.

Anyways - you should get the N10. It is going to have the best hardware/screen for your photo/etc intensive projects. Additionally if you dont, you'll always wonder. Finally - you may be cured of your angst against carriers, like I was ;)

(Originally this is why I said Note for "work", IE - if you need a until that is almost guaranteed to be on and recieving email correctly, thats more the Note's charter.)

PS - I am so going to get that Note 8 to use as my phone

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The S-Pen really is the only reason to get the Note 10.1, and even then it's only if you REALLY REALLY want it cause there are a few drawbacks.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Bloatware, IMO, are things like "Blockbuster Video" and "Let's Golf! 2" and other, non-contributing apps that I can't uninstall and are not put on the device to improve it's functionality, but rather because of deal that the manufacturer, or more likely, carrier (hello, Verizon!) has loaded on there to line their pockets. That's bloatware. Samsung TW apps designed to utilize the specialized hardware, i.e. S-Pen, is not "bloatware". No, that software is not part of the stock Android image, but Samsung isn't trying to sell you a stock Android device with Note 10.1 either...they're trying to sell you a Note 10.1.

To the OP: There is no doubt that spec-wise, the N10 is a better tablet. I also looked at both when I purchased mine about a month ago, but ultimately decided to go with the Nexus. As many have pointed out, it's just a matter of important the s-pen features are to you, because that's about the only advantage the Note 10.1 has at this point.

UT_chic

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to thank all you Android peeps for your feedback! In case you were wondering, I ended up getting the Note 10.1. I use it at work and at school. I do find myself using the pen a lot since I take lots of notes and highlight text and what not. The Nexus 10 is a great product and believe me I did spend A LOT of time weighing the pros and cons of both devices, but in the end the Note 10.1 better fits my needs. So thanks! You guys are AWESOME! :)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to thank all you Android peeps for your feedback! In case you were wondering, I ended up getting the Note 10.1. I use it at work and at school. I do find myself using the pen a lot since I take lots of notes and highlight text and what not. The Nexus 10 is a great product and believe me I did spend A LOT of time weighing the pros and cons of both devices, but in the end the Note 10.1 better fits my needs. So thanks! You guys are AWESOME! :)

If you use it for work and school alot that would definitely be the better choice.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
How on God's green earth has this thread gotten this far without anybody mentioning the substandard screen resolution on the Note 10.1? It's really poor, like something from 2011.

I bought both tablets, and I'm a fan of the S Pen, but there was really no comparing the two. The screen on the Note 10.1 was so inferior, the decision was easy. The battery life on the Nexus was also better.

Loved the S Pen, light weight, and split screen of the Note 10.1 though. I hope they make one with a better screen resolution in the near future.

Also, I don't believe the Note 10.1 uses Gorilla Glass. Something about the Note 10.1's screen glass that it attracts way more fingerprints than the other tablets I've owed. It always seemed to have a thick layer of some nastiness on the screen that I was constantly having to wipe down.

sent from my Note II

The thread got this far because a lot of us bought the tablet for school and work, and not inviting friend over to watch the Super Bowl in HD.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I would take this even a step further and saying it got this far because people can be objective.

One spec doesn't ruin a device in most cases. Unless you put the two side by side the dpi difference probably wouldn't bother you. Even then, there are allot of good things about the Note 10.1 and it's software that make it a great tablet.

Don't fool yourself, the devices are pretty close overall. The only real thing the Note is missing is the screen DPI while the Nexus is missing the S-Pen.

And it wasn't until the middle of last year that no android tablet had a resolution over 1200x800. The one and only other tablet that is over that resolution is the Asus T700 Infinity. This limitation is also based on the WACOM digitizer the Note uses as well. So it really goes hand and hand with the S-Pen.

What I know is this. I have a Nexus 10, while I got my GF a Note 10.1(She insisted on it, Actually had the sales people laugphing at me as I was discussing it with her). I couldn't pry that thing from her if i wanted to. I love the nexus 10 and really like the upgrade I got to it from my old xoom wifi, but the Note 10.1 is deffinately doing something right.