Transferring Photos from a Digital Camera to a Nexus 10 Tablet

thegreypanther

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm going mental trying to download photos from a Canon 350D camera to my Nexus 10 tablet.
I have connected the two via USB cables (with a female/female adapter between the camera USB cable and the tablet USB).
I have installed the Nexus Media Importer App.
Switch on the camera and switch on the tablet and select the App, - and nothing happens. (There ARE JPG file photos in the camera).
There are no Help instructions on the App.
Am I doing something stupid, or is this newly purchased tablet just a load of...... ??

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It has to be a OTG cable. Not just a cable with the right ends on it. the OTG cable tells the nexus it needs to be a host device and not the client.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm going mental trying to download photos from a Canon 350D camera to my Nexus 10 tablet.
I have connected the two via USB cables (with a female/female adapter between the camera USB cable and the tablet USB).
I have installed the Nexus Media Importer App.
Switch on the camera and switch on the tablet and select the App, - and nothing happens. (There ARE JPG file photos in the camera).
There are no Help instructions on the App.
Am I doing something stupid, or is this newly purchased tablet just a load of...... ??

It has to be a OTG cable. Not just a cable with the right ends on it. the OTG cable tells the nexus it needs to be a host device and not the client.

I'm not trying to be a jackass, but as the OP asked the question, it sounds like you may be "doing something stupid". USB is a "device to host" type of connection, so just using a "female/female" adapter, as you put it, won't work, as both devices will assume to be devices. (I think you actually meant "male/male", but the problem is that USB has 2 different connector types for device vs. host, and each of those has a different male and female connector, and if you're connecting a camera to a tablet, both ends are probably configured for "device").

This does not make your "newly purchased tablet just a load of....", it's probably working like ANY tablet would.

What you need is something like this: Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Electronics

On top of that, you also would need an app to tell your N10 to function as a host rather than a "device", such as this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...eysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en&token=F16eui9f

That *should* work, but keep in mind I haven't tested a scenario such as yours myself -- there may be additional issues if the N10 doesn't recognize the camera due to driver issues, etc.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Here is a good example of the various types of male USB connector ends:
File:Types-usb th1.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Type A is the host connector, Type B is the device. We're all used to seeing Type B in full size, mini, and micro -- however the mini and micro Type A connectors are not very common at all. For example, the cable that comes with the N10 is "Micro Type B to standard Type A". Almost all USB cables have one "A" end and one "B" end. Some cables do exist with the same type on both ends, however they are normally for very specific applications and will NOT work just work out-of-the-box as it sounds like the OP was trying to do with his camera/tablet.

thegreypanther

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for this advice.
I shall straight away order a Micro USB OTG to USB2.0 Adapter.
There was I thinking that one USB connector was like another USB connector,.... the learning process is a long and slow one!
And maybe I am also stupid!
When the adaptor arrives, I shall post what the result happens to be.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
There was I thinking that one USB connector was like another USB connector,.... the learning process is a long and slow one!

I wasn't trying to suggest that -- it's not necessarily "common" knowledge. I only used the term "stupid" because you asked the question in the OP!

Roger Brownlow

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
When you get your adapter, as soon as you connect your camera and switch on it will connect with no additional software and if you open 'Gallery' you will see thumbnails right away of everything on the camera, You can look at them individually full size, and download them to the tablet if you wish....

The only minor snag is everything goes into a single folder called 'imported'. If you want to edit the folder arrangements for your pics the easiest way is after downloading to the tablet connect it to a Windows PC - it will connect as an external drive, and if you browse to the 'imported' directory you can copy your JPGs out of there and into any directories you have created. When you disconnect from the PC these will be accessible individually in Gallery. For some reason you can't do this directly on the tablet - or if you can, I haven't 'sussed' it yet!

Finally - JPGs only from the camera. Any RAW pics won't be recognized by the tablet.

Rog.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Hey, I would have made the same mistake, but when I received my N10, I just read a bunch of posts on this forum about transferring and importing. I was mainly interested in dowloading some movies to my external 32gb flash drive and running them on the N10 and on to my hdtv. Haven't tried it yet because I need to get my new electronic hdmi switch set up. As an old guy this stuff isn't so easy for me to learn either :).

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried to do this with my Canon 7d and the correct cable and it didn't work. Nexus Media Importer saw there was something, but would not open it properly.

So, I got a CF to usb box (mine is a Dane-elec one), plugged the cf card in, connected it and was able to see and copy the pictures.

Alan

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The only minor snag is everything goes into a single folder called 'imported'. If you want to edit the folder arrangements for your pics the easiest way is after downloading to the tablet connect it to a Windows PC - it will connect as an external drive, and if you browse to the 'imported' directory you can copy your JPGs out of there and into any directories you have created. When you disconnect from the PC these will be accessible individually in Gallery. For some reason you can't do this directly on the tablet - or if you can, I haven't 'sussed' it yet

Rog.

try an app called ES File Explorer. It's free and it basically works just like Windows File Explorer. I haven't tried it specifically for the application of creating folders in your gallery. But you can create folders for just about anything else and place a shortcut for those folders on your home screens. It's really handy if you have a folder you store things in and access a lot Such as PDF file or editable document that you update quite often. I also use it to put a folder shortcut on my home screen to a bunch of my movies.

Roger Brownlow

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
try an app called ES File Explorer. It's free and it basically works just like Windows File Explorer. I haven't tried it specifically for the application of creating folders in your gallery. But you can create folders for just about anything else and place a shortcut for those folders on your home screens. It's really handy if you have a folder you store things in and access a lot Such as PDF file or editable document that you update quite often. I also use it to put a folder shortcut on my home screen to a bunch of my movies.

I've got that and it does the job - it's a bit arcane though and it certainly doesn't work like Windows Explorer when it comes to creating directories! I guess that may be because you can't get a right-click (mouse) options screen for creating directories and moving files.

It definitely works though and worth persevering with as it avoids the 'kludge' I was using of plugging in to a PC. We can't have Windows doing a better job on an Android machine, now can we?

Rog.

Bob Sihler

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Okay, just a week ago, I was able to transfer pics directly from my camera to my Nexus 10. No special cables, no special apps. Just connected, opened the gallery, and imported.

As of yesterday, I have a situation like the OP. I connect everything and the tablet does nothing, does not seem to see the camera.

Earlier yesterday, I installed the latest Android update. Coincidence? Some change to force me to buy the media app? Or am I just missing or forgetting something?

EDIT: Never mind. Shutting down and restarting did the trick. I thought I'd done that yesterday after the update. So much for the conspiracy theories...

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Okay, just a week ago, I was able to transfer pics directly from my camera to my Nexus 10. No special cables, no special apps. Just connected, opened the gallery, and imported.

As of yesterday, I have a situation like the OP. I connect everything and the tablet does nothing, does not seem to see the camera.

Earlier yesterday, I installed the latest Android update. Coincidence? Some change to force me to buy the media app? Or am I just missing or forgetting something?

EDIT: Never mind. Shutting down and restarting did the trick. I thought I'd done that yesterday after the update. So much for the conspiracy theories...

what kind of camera is it? did it come with a USB-B to USB-B cable?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

randyjw

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
download the app from playgoogle - "QuickPic". It lets you create and rename files for your pictures. It takes the place of Gallery. I have installed it on phone and Nexus 10.

guildian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I just moved the SD card from my camera to the tablet and it recognized it immediately in gallery and displayed the pictures by date. I had to use a micro SD with adapter in the camera in place of the regular size SD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae