Nexus 10 users, do you regret your purchase? The good and the bad.

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the "tablet optimised apps" that people long for are just ones which will play in landscape mode. Personally that is a deal breaker for me. If it only does portrait, then I don't buy. It may be that Apple specify whether it works on an iPad and Google don't specifically say (I don't know, I don't have an iPad or an iPhone - but the WebOS store used to differentiate)

Having said that, most of the apps I look at do work OK in landscape mode. But I don't tend to do RPG stuff.

Alan

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the "tablet optimised apps" that people long for are just ones which will play in landscape mode. Personally that is a deal breaker for me. If it only does portrait, then I don't buy. It may be that Apple specify whether it works on an iPad and Google don't specifically say (I don't know, I don't have an iPad or an iPhone - but the WebOS store used to differentiate)

Having said that, most of the apps I look at do work OK in landscape mode. But I don't tend to do RPG stuff.

Alan
Yeah with the ipad it says whether or not it it is made for the ipad which is awesome

- - - Updated - - -

They should have expanded a while ago. :p

ikr!

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually thanks for the reminder. Yeah it does suck that wallet and music don't work here. For once I want to buy music but have to wait for google (or amazon) come to the country to do so. If XBox music makes it to android first, I'll probably just go with that.

And I know its not all Google's fault but thats why in some ways iOS wins over Google. Their multimedia content works.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually thanks for the reminder. Yeah it does suck that wallet and music don't work here. For once I want to buy music but have to wait for google (or amazon) come to the country to do so. If XBox music makes it to android first, I'll probably just go with that.

And I know its not all Google's fault but thats why in some ways iOS wins over Google. Their multimedia content works.
It's not a matter of if it works or not, it's worldwide availability that Google needs to work on. :p

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Chetan for the response. Looking at it from a global aspect I can see why an iDevice is better choice than Android for many. Lack of international services creates a big impact. Apple clearly has a leg up when it comes to this. We can hope that Google is able to expand services and before to long everyone will be looking at Play gift cards hanging in the checkout lanes.

I expect we mail see books, movies and music from Google on a global scale eventually. Sadly we will never know the details about what hoops need to be jumped through to secure the rights/permissions to supply them to so many different countries. As an American it is easy to forget that media my 10 year old son could walk into the store and buy off the shelf would be considered illegal in some nations of the world.

czav

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 10 for a week now. I think its great..best thing is that it is not an Apple! My goal was to use it to replace my umpteen cookbooks with pdf files of my recipes And be able to sort them with a spreadshhet. This works great on my laptop..i have a spreadsheet listing all the recipe file names, and a hyperlink to the file in the local directory. on the Nexus 10 I am unable to add a link to a local file..have tried Kingsoft Office and Olive. This may be an android issue rather than a Nexus issue??
also, unable to have more than one pdf open at a time...had planned on having all the recipes for a dinner party open to flip through while preparing. I know, I know...a retired foody lady's criteria for a tablet may be unusual...but there it is!

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Chetan for the response. Looking at it from a global aspect I can see why an iDevice is better choice than Android for many. Lack of international services creates a big impact. Apple clearly has a leg up when it comes to this. We can hope that Google is able to expand services and before to long everyone will be looking at Play gift cards hanging in the checkout lanes.

I expect we mail see books, movies and music from Google on a global scale eventually. Sadly we will never know the details about what hoops need to be jumped through to secure the rights/permissions to supply them to so many different countries. As an American it is easy to forget that media my 10 year old son could walk into the store and buy off the shelf would be considered illegal in some nations of the world.

The only reason I don't have an iPhone is because I was starting to feel ios too limiting for my tastes, guess I'm gonna have to deal with these issues for a while, oh well!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am probably the odd man out in the thread. I'm not a troll, anyone who reads or has read my posts will know that. I don't regret purchasing the N10 but not sure if I will keep it. I'm a device junkie and hang out here and the XDA forums a lot. I have several devices including an Ipad 4, Nexus 7 & 10 and, several phones.

Cons for me:
Between my three tablets I use the N10 the least. It's more of a personel preference with me. Both the Ipad 4 and Nexus 7 have cellular data, which I use a lot on the go and, at work during breaks. I purchased the Nexus 7 when it first launched and sold it when I bought the Nexus 10. When the Nexus 7 came out with cellular data and more storage, I jumped on it. The Nexus 7 also seems to run smoother from my experience and, I don't get as many force closes & random reboots. I really missed the N7 after selling it and buying the N10. This is not really a con for the tablet but, I also hate how Google takes so long to come out with accessories for this tablet. All these months and still no dock or smart cover.

Pros for me:
The screen is wonderful and I love Jellybean. The battery life is also very good. I like the design and feel of the Nexus 10. If you like Android you will probably like this tablet. I don't have a issue with the storage but, if it had more I wouldn't mind (I like a lot of storage).

My ideal Tablet would be a 10" Nexus tablet made by Asus with 64 or 128GB of storage, LTE, unlocked and can be used on At&t and Tmobile with HSPA+ to fall back on. If I had that, I may finally have found a replacment for the formidable or, for some on this forum; abominable Ipad LOL!

If I were to reccomend a tablet for someone who has never had one, it would be the Nexus 7 or Ipad (9.7" not the mini).

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 also seems to run smoother from my experience and, I don't get as many force closes & random reboots.

I disagree with this sentence. Yes, I did have some random reboots and force closes with JB 4.2.1, but 4.2.2 update DID fix those problems on my Nexus 10. Nexus 10 should be smoother than Nexus 7. I'm not saying Nexus 7 is a bad device, it's actually a great device. But Nexus 10 should be smoother than Nexus 7 since it comes with Exynos 5250 and it's 1.7 GHz dual-core.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it might be a bit harsh to not recommend it to others just cause of your own personal cons for the devices. Also the reboots have been pretty much dealt with after the last update.

I agree with the lack of accessories tho.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with this sentence. Yes, I did have some random reboots and force closes with JB 4.2.1, but 4.2.2 update DID fix those problems on my Nexus 10. Nexus 10 should be smoother than Nexus 7. I'm not saying Nexus 7 is a bad device, it's actually a great device. But Nexus 10 should be smoother than Nexus 7 since it comes with Exynos 5250 and it's 1.7 GHz dual-core.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

I still get force closes from apps but the random reboots not as much. I still stand by my expereince that the Nexus 7 runs smoother. The Nexus 10 comes with a nice proccessor but it's a dual-core vs. the Nexus 7 which is quad-core. I'm guessing this may be the reason it runs smoother since they run the same version of Android. I just know to me it seems to run better and not as choppy as the N10.

I think it might be a bit harsh to not recommend it to others just cause of your own personal cons for the devices. Also the reboots have been pretty much dealt with after the last update.

I agree with the lack of accessories tho.

I don't think it's harsh at all. The OP asked for our opinions. Most people I meet are non-technical and I want them to have the best experience when I reccomend something. IMO the Nexus 7 or Ipad would provide that. I do admit it's been a long time since I"ve had a random reboot but, I don't use the N10 enough to be sure.

I knew some of you would disagree, I was just trying to provide a honest opinion. That opinion of course is going to be from my personel experience. I love Android and wouldn't be here if i didn't. I'm actually thinking about factory resetting the N10 to see if that makes it run better. Sometimes that does help.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I still get force closes from apps but the random reboots not as much. I still stand by my expereince that the Nexus 7 runs smoother. The Nexus 10 comes with a nice proccessor but it's a dual-core vs. the Nexus 7 which is quad-core. I'm guessing this may be the reason it runs smoother since they run the same version of Android. I just know to me it seems to run better and not as choppy as the N10.

I don't think it's harsh at all. The OP asked for our opinions. Most people I meet are non-technical and I want them to have the best experience when I reccomend something. IMO the Nexus 7 or Ipad would provide that. I do admit it's been a long time since I"ve had a random reboot but, I don't use the N10 enough to be sure.

I knew some of you would disagree, I was just trying to provide a honest opinion. That opinion of course is going to be from my personel experience. I love Android and wouldn't be here if i didn't. I'm actually thinking about factory resetting the N10 to see if that makes it run better. Sometimes that does help.
Just cause those are your cons doesn't mean others will have them and they're small ones anyway, so yeah it is a bit harsh if you're never gonna recommend it to anyone just cause of that seeing how great of a device it is and how much those people might like it. Your choice though, it's not gonna make or break the device after all.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Just cause those are your cons doesn't mean others will have them and they're small ones anyway, so yeah it is a bit harsh if you're never gonna recommend it to anyone just cause of that seeing how great of a device it is and how much those people might like it. Your choice though, it's not gonna make or break the device after all.

Random reboots aren't a small con.