Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Default Nexus 10 vs. Asus Infinity Pad

Hi,

So I'm interested in buying an Android tablet. I am not interested in the iPad. I've done my research and found that the Nexus 10 and Asus Infinity are among the top Android tablets out there. I am leaning towards the Nexus 10, however I just want to hear from others about their experiences with it. I just want honest feedback too. I would appreciate pros and cons, and an explanation as to why the pros outweigh the cons if you believe they do, and vice-versa. I would also like to hear from Infinity users, or people that may have chosen the Nexus 10 over the infinity, but were strongly considering the Infinity at first. If this is you, what made you consider the Infinity and why did you opt against it in the end?

Ultimately I want a tablet that offers me a great browsing experience, plays apps, movies and music well. I would play some games but I'm not a heavy gamer. I want to be able to do some school work and professional work on the tablet as well. It does not have to be extensive, even if I just opened up a document on it that I created on my laptop, I'd be happy. I am not looking to replace my laptop. I know that the Infinity comes with Polaris already on it, but I have read that it crashes a lot. Is there anyone that has the Nexus 10 with Polaris downloaded onto it, or some other microsoft office converter app? If so, are you enjoying it?

I want the Nexus 10, but should I just get the Infinity?

I hope I've been clear enough.

Thanks in advance, this will really help me to make a decision.

Default Re: Nexus 10 vs. Asus Infinity Pad

The Nexus 10 will play media extremely well with its great looking screen and it sounds better since the speakers are in the front. Apps work well too. I'd recommend Word to Go over Polaris but it's not cheap other than that it can be used for homework effectively. The battery life is pretty good too.

The only cons are no expandable memory but there are ways around it and it some units have been known to reboot randomly but this was mostly fixed after the last update.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiJane View Post
    Hi,

So I'm interested in buying an Android tablet. I am not interested in the iPad. I've done my research and found that the Nexus 10 and Asus Infinity are among the top Android tablets out there. I am leaning towards the Nexus 10, however I just want to hear from others about their experiences with it. I just want honest feedback too. I would appreciate pros and cons, and an explanation as to why the pros outweigh the cons if you believe they do, and vice-versa. I would also like to hear from Infinity users, or people that may have chosen the Nexus 10 over the infinity, but were strongly considering the Infinity at first. If this is you, what made you consider the Infinity and why did you opt against it in the end?

Ultimately I want a tablet that offers me a great browsing experience, plays apps, movies and music well. I would play some games but I'm not a heavy gamer. I want to be able to do some school work and professional work on the tablet as well. It does not have to be extensive, even if I just opened up a document on it that I created on my laptop, I'd be happy. I am not looking to replace my laptop. I know that the Infinity comes with Polaris already on it, but I have read that it crashes a lot. Is there anyone that has the Nexus 10 with Polaris downloaded onto it, or some other microsoft office converter app? If so, are you enjoying it?

I want the Nexus 10, but should I just get the Infinity?

I hope I've been clear enough.

Thanks in advance, this will really help me to make a decision.
    Hi NikkiJ,
    I have an Infinity and thoroughly enjoy it. Have had it for about 4 months. It is strictly stock, and I have had no problems at all. I do a lot of browsing, reading books, email, corresponding with business associates. I have used the standard office program, but I do prefer Office Pro Suite. It was on sale for only 2.99, and I have found that it does everything I want to do. I am retired and do some work for old clients representing them before a government entity. As I said, the Office Pro Suite does everything that I need. I have not experienced any lag with the infinity. It performs just as adequately as my HP 17" lap top. I do not watch movies, but can say that playing videos by adobe flash (which is available on the infinity) is again up to par with my lap top. I do play rudimentary games such as free cell and back gammon. The one thing that I do appreciate is the keyboard dock. It works very well and provides extra battery life and external memory which are very much appreciated. The resolution of the infinity's screen is exceptionally good, but I think that the Nexus 10 is equal in that category. You will probably like either the infinity or the Nexus 10, but if you think that an attachable keyboard dock and external memory are plusses, I would go with the infinity.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by idaute View Post
    Hi NikkiJ,
    I have an Infinity and thoroughly enjoy it. Have had it for about 4 months. It is strictly stock, and I have had no problems at all. I do a lot of browsing, reading books, email, corresponding with business associates. I have used the standard office program, but I do prefer Office Pro Suite. It was on sale for only 2.99, and I have found that it does everything I want to do. I am retired and do some work for old clients representing them before a government entity. As I said, the Office Pro Suite does everything that I need. I have not experienced any lag with the infinity. It performs just as adequately as my HP 17" lap top. I do not watch movies, but can say that playing videos by adobe flash (which is available on the infinity) is again up to par with my lap top. I do play rudimentary games such as free cell and back gammon. The one thing that I do appreciate is the keyboard dock. It works very well and provides extra battery life and external memory which are very much appreciated. The resolution of the infinity's screen is exceptionally good, but I think that the Nexus 10 is equal in that category. You will probably like either the infinity or the Nexus 10, but if you think that an attachable keyboard dock and external memory are plusses, I would go with the infinity.

Thanks idaute!!! I actually am not interested in the keyboard and was hoping that if I did get the infinity that I could choose to get the tablet alone. Are there any cons?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    The Nexus 10 will play media extremely well with its great looking screen and it sounds better since the speakers are in the front. Apps work well too. I'd recommend Word to Go over Polaris but it's not cheap other than that it can be used for homework effectively. The battery life is pretty good too.

The only cons are no expandable memory but there are ways around it and it some units have been known to reboot randomly but this was mostly fixed after the last update.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
    Thanks!! How long have you had it? Would you say that it is a must have tablet or does it just do its job.

Thanks!! How long have you had it? Would you say that it is a must have tablet or does it just do its job.
    I got mine on Christmas Day and I'm still pretty addicted to it. I wouldn't say it's a must have device (I wouldn't say it for any device really) but if you want to use it a general browsing, mobile gaming and media device it's definitely the one I'll recommend the most.

Never used the ASUS, so I can't give a comparison -- but I will say the the N10 has been great for me so far. You can quickly browse through the forum posts here to see any of the "cons" or common issues folks have, but obviously any time you do that for any device you have to realize that the minority with issues will be exponentially more vocal than the majority without.

I bought Quick Office Pro quite a while back when it was on sale, and it works just fine for the rare occasions I need it. I'm not big on spending money on apps, but then I look it this way... even if you buy another Android tablet later, you'll still be able to use the app without having to repurchase...so for me it was a worthwhile purchase.

Don't forget about Google Docs either...may not work for every situation, but it is there and free and easy to use!

EDIT: What I really like about the N10 is the entire Nexus experience: A simple, yet elegant device with great hardware that runs the latest version and Android (and is first in line for updates when they come out!).

Plus you'll notice with any device the issues seem to be much bigger in number than they really are cause everyone seems to make a separate topic for the same issue that 50 people already posted about.

I would have recommend infinity if Nexus 10 was never made! Nexus 10 beat infinity on screen and every aspect.
    I have been using Nexus 10 right from the day it got released and i absolutely love it.
    I was planning to buy asus branded tablet before Nexus 10 was announced. glad i bought Nexus 10
    slinkies likes this.

Bottom line is if your really are an android fanatic like all nexus owners myself included you go nexus it has hands down best specs of anything on the market will be updated for years to come and the new processor is amazing a dual core that out performs everything out quad cores included it's literally next gen spec I've got a bluetooth keyboard case for mine with autowake sleep function so it's just like having the doc anyways and for less money and looks nicer too in my opinion so yea the Nexus 10 smokes everything out and probably will for a while. And key lime pie is right around the corner for us anyways lol ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Thanks idaute!!! I actually am not interested in the keyboard and was hoping that if I did get the infinity that I could choose to get the tablet alone. Are there any cons?
    Nikki,
    Here is a daily deal at groupon

I have no cons with respect to my infinity. If you can beat the groupon price with any Nexus 10 anywhere, take the deal, but if you cannot, I would recommend considering the groupon deal on the infinity.

I currently have and been using the Asus Transformer Prime for a little over 8 months, The Prime is older model that the Transformer Infinity is based on and is the newer model. When the Nexus 10 was released in November I wanted to get one but decided to wait to hear the reviews. the basic pro and con that you have with the nexus is brilliant or best screen and the limitations of being able to extend the memory. The infinity pro is the fact that you can extend the memory and the docking station extends the battery life to 18 hours or so. The con would be that the screen is equivalent to that of the ipad. I love my prime but am thinking of upgrading to either the Nexus 10 or Transformer Infinity. I will have to admit I am leaning towards the Infinity as my experience with Asus has been great. I think if you get either one you will be a happy camper. Good Luck and let us know what you decided to get.

Hi Nikki,

I've had a Nexus 10 since January, and absolutely love it. I have never used the Infinity, so can't offer much in the way of comparison. But for what you're looking for, I think you will really like the Nexus. For media consumption, there really isn't an equal in the Android market (and you could even argue in the general tablet market too). Since you've said you've done your research, I'm sure you know that the Nexus' screen resolution is second to none, and it really is awesome, especially with HD content. As others have said, having the front-facing speakers makes a big difference, and the sound quality is fine.

Regarding productivity tasks, I have not used mine heavily for those purposes (like you said, I haven't looked for my tablet to completely replace my laptop), but have found the Google Drive apps work fine for what I need (mostly viewing docs, but I have created a few spreadsheets/short documents). I don't like using the on-screen keyboard for heavy typing, but there are quality bluetooth keyboards you can buy if you want one.

In terms of browsing, the stock Chrome app has been horrible for me. I think the experience with Chrome varies from user to user, because I have heard of people having no problems with it. For me, it locks up and crashes any time I try to use it. That's ultimately not a problem though, since there are so many great browsers available through the Play Store. I have used Firefox, Boat, Puffin, and Ocean, and have found that Ocean and Firefox work best for me.

The biggest drawbacks for many are the lack of expandable storage and app selection. As others have said, there are ways around expandable storage. Plus, 32 GB is a lot of space, and I don't anticipate running into storage issues for a while. Regarding app selection, that's something you'll run into with any Android tablet, and since it sounds like you're not considering the iPad, it sounds like that won't be an issue for you. Plus, the app selection isn't terrible, and will *hopefully* grow over time.

Overall, the main draws for me were the quality of the screen, the "pure Google" experience of having a Nexus device, and the price - and those pros certainly outweighed the cons. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Just thought of a couple more things:

- Battery life: has been solid. I typically go 2-3 days on a charge. For example, I charged it all day yesterday (Tuesday) while I was at work, and probably won't have to charge it again until Thursday night or Friday morning. I use it every evening after I get home from work for about 3-4 hours.

- Multiple user accounts: this has been a great feature since my wife and I share the tablet. She can have her own account with her settings however she wants them (eg, background image, screen layout, apps, etc.), and I have my settings the way I want them. Switching between accounts is quick and easy. I don't know if you'll be sharing this with a significant other, so this feature may be a wash for you, but wanted to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by slinkies View Post
    Bottom line is if your really are an android fanatic like all nexus owners myself included you go nexus it has hands down best specs of anything on the market will be updated for years to come and the new processor is amazing a dual core that out performs everything out quad cores included it's literally next gen spec I've got a bluetooth keyboard case for mine with autowake sleep function so it's just like having the doc anyways and for less money and looks nicer too in my opinion so yea the Nexus 10 smokes everything out and probably will for a while. And key lime pie is right around the corner for us anyways lol ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Can you share the brand and model number, or link to amazon for your keyboard?

I've been looking high and low for one, and haven't found any good solutions.

TIA!