Groove ip App

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about trying to use my N10 for voice calls. We do have phones via wifi using Obi 110n and Google Voice. I've been able to send txt using Google voice. I'm a little confused (Yeah, you can tell by my user id) about what apps and equipment I might need. I've read some forum comments and people have had problems using the N10 for phone calls due to the mic locations and also with groove ip. The actual satisfaction rate may be less than 50%, but that's only my guesstimate. I'm also unsure as to whether I need to be using a bluetooth headphone with mic. Looks like those are around $50 +. Finally, I don't want to spend time and $$ on this, unless it works well. I'm not so concerned about the cost as I am about being frustrated trying to get the setup to work because SWMBO will be on my case if it doesn't :). I'm aware that there could be more negative reviews than positive reviews because the positives didn't post anything. Thanks for any comments and/or help.

Stan

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I finally answered my own question here Nexus 10 | Mostly-Tech #46. I guess you may not need a headset w/mic, but due to the location of the mic on the N10, the headset is helpful. I can use my Google Voice number to make the calls.

Stan

I just spent about 2 hours doing more research on calling appls--both voice and video. Looking at current reviews for just the N10, Skype sure isn't doing well at all. That's sort of a surprise to me because Skype worked just fine for me on my desktop even using an external webcam. I'm not finding an all-in-one app either. The apps with the best ratings (for N10) are Viber and Tango. Looks like I'll have to use both for talk and video. I think Tango is like Skype though, where both users have to be using Tango for video calls. I'm still a little confused about the mics and cameras and whether or not a headset w/mic is necessary. I guess I'll just have to find out via trial and error. I guess a video call to a pc will still have to be done with Skype?

Last edited:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Keep an eye on woot.com they frequently have bluetooth headsets for less than $50. My bluetooth stereo headset cost lest than $25 with shipping IIRC.