My Charger got damaged, Can I charge my Nexus 10 With other chargers? SPECS please

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
My Charger got damaged, Can I charge my Nexus 10 With other chargers? SPECS please

Can I use other chargers like from My HTC EVO 3D or other similar charger? or will it damage my tablets battery

Please reply..im working 19% battery now

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The power requirements should be listed on the charger

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Whats the Power Requirements for Nexus 10 Tablet? thanks

Im out now..so i can find something similar

it wont damage my tablet right? if its the same power requirements

sorry for my ignorance. I just remembered that I read something Nexus 10 said that YOu have to use their CHarger or else it will ruin or damage

your tablet.. how true is this? please explain

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I mean, it's the same micro USB port as any other android or blackberry device?
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything. And if it did catch fire and you needed a warranty replacement, just don't offer up the information that you weren't using the USB cable that came with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There's a lot of speculation out there. To charge it while it's powered down it will take quite a while but you can charge it from a computer's USB port. USB ports usually only put out 500 milliamps so if you plan on using the tablet while plugged into a USB port you will probably not lose any battery charge you have but you won't gain any charge either.

The charging brick provided with the N10 is rated at 2 amps. The speculation part I mentioned is that there have been posts in other threads that claim even though it's a 2 amp charging block they have only observed the charging circuit in the N10 actually recharging at a rate a bit over 1 amp. This sounds reasonable since it does take a lot longer to charge these units than you would expect if they were actually absorbing a full 2 amp charge. This is no doubt an internal charging circuit restriction on the N10 to prevent overheating or shortening battery life.

That being said, my conclusion is, you should be fine with a charging block that puts out 1 amp or a DC car charger (most of them are also rated at 1 amp output). If you find a charging block that outputs 1 or 2 amps and you can use the USB cable that came with your N10 you should be fine with either one and the difference in charging times between the two will be negligible.

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks for your insights bro. The sad part is the charger tip that came with my box is damaged =/ so i cant use that anymore...Thats why Im asking if i can Use any charging which have the same TIP (of the charger)\

My HTC EVO 3D CHarger is the same with the Nexus 10 Charger tip

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh OK so your tip on the USB cable got damaged? If you have a Samsung or HTC phone you can use the same USB cable they came with (and charger for that matter). The pin-out configuration on those cables are the same when it comes to the charging circuit and also for transferring files from PC to internal SD card (I have personally tested this). The best way to test if a USB cable is compatible is to plug it into your tablet and a PC or laptop and see if you can read the SD card. If it works then the pin connections match and you can use the same cable to charge your N10 by connecting it your N10 charging block and tablet.

Beware though! Your concerns are valid! Not all USB cables are created equal. Sometimes the pins on each end of the cable are designed to perform different functions or the cable is not rated to carry the charging amperage. Since, as I stated earlier, it appears the N10 doesn't draw more than 1 amp while charging and both Samsung and HTC smartphones both have 1 amp chargers to start with they are not likely to have any overheat issues with the load.

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
What does this mean? --> "it appears the N10 doesn't draw more than 1 amp while charging and both Samsung and HTC smartphones both have 1 amp chargers to start with they are not likely to have any overheat issues with the load. "

so who carries the more amp? wont the chargers from my htc draw more amps which will result to overheating?

just wondering hmmm

Ahhh OK so your tip on the USB cable got damaged? If you have a Samsung or HTC phone you can use the same USB cable they came with (and charger for that matter). The pin-out configuration on those cables are the same when it comes to the charging circuit and also for transferring files from PC to internal SD card (I have personally tested this). The best way to test if a USB cable is compatible is to plug it into your tablet and a PC or laptop and see if you can read the SD card. If it works then the pin connections match and you can use the same cable to charge your N10 by connecting it your N10 charging block and tablet.

Beware though! Your concerns are valid! Not all USB cables are created equal. Sometimes the pins on each end of the cable are designed to perform different functions or the cable is not rated to carry the charging amperage. Since, as I stated earlier, it appears the N10 doesn't draw more than 1 amp while charging and both Samsung and HTC smartphones both have 1 amp chargers to start with they are not likely to have any overheat issues with the load.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
What it means is this ... the AC charging block that came with the Nexus 10 has an OUTPUT rating of 2 amps but the Nexus 10 itself will only allow a little over 1 amp INPUT to the unit at any time to charge the battery. The rest of the amperage the AC block is able to provide is wasted energy. One of two things happens to the extra power the block is trying to push. A: it is lost energy dissipated as heat. B: And I really hope this is the case .... both the AC block and the internal charging circuit have "smart electronics" that "shake hands" and agree between them that the N10 only wants 1 amp at a time and the block only sends what is requested. The beauty of B: is the AC block does not overwork or overheat thus preserving its life and the battery and charging circuit in the N10 is only accepting an amp load it is set to feel comfortable with that will not overload or overheat either the charging circuit or the battery.

Either way, if the N10 is "restricting input" from any AC block to 1 amp then ANY AC block from 1 amp to 2 amps will work exactly the same. They push what they can and the N10 takes 1 amp and ignores anything greater. Again, the weak link would be charging from a PC or laptop from a USB port which only puts out 500 milliamps (1/2 amp) which would take twice as long to recharge the N10 battery and would not charge it at all if you were using the tablet to play a game or watch a movie while you were plugged into a PC or laptop. The best you could hope for if you started with a 50% charge on your battery would be to still have a 50% charge on it when you finished.

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.,.Im not really techie and all. thanks for your time explaining all those stuffs.. Just wish me luck when I return it to the One I bought it from ( the USB cable ) I mean , Hopefully I can pass it off as a factory defect and get a new one ...also i really really hope the tablet wasnt affected from the Fall or Anything... Thanks Mate

What it means is this ... the AC charging block that came with the Nexus 10 has an OUTPUT rating of 2 amps but the Nexus 10 itself will only allow a little over 1 amp INPUT to the unit at any time to charge the battery. The rest of the amperage the AC block is able to provide is wasted energy. One of two things happens to the extra power the block is trying to push. A: it is lost energy dissipated as heat. B: And I really hope this is the case .... both the AC block and the internal charging circuit have "smart electronics" that "shake hands" and agree between them that the N10 only wants 1 amp at a time and the block only sends what is requested. The beauty of B: is the AC block does not overwork or overheat thus preserving its life and the battery and charging circuit in the N10 is only accepting an amp load it is set to feel comfortable with that will not overload or overheat either the charging circuit or the battery.

Either way, if the N10 is "restricting input" from any AC block to 1 amp then ANY AC block from 1 amp to 2 amps will work exactly the same. They push what they can and the N10 takes 1 amp and ignores anything greater. Again, the weak link would be charging from a PC or laptop from a USB port which only puts out 500 milliamps (1/2 amp) which would take twice as long to recharge the N10 battery and would not charge it at all if you were using the tablet to play a game or watch a movie while you were plugged into a PC or laptop. The best you could hope for if you started with a 50% charge on your battery would be to still have a 50% charge on it when you finished.

richcuffs

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have some useful input actually,
The blackberry playbook charger is slightly higher voltage and will charge your device faster than most chargers. Used them for over a year now on phones like SIII with no problems.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hard core battery geeks will tell you always use stock provided equipment. That's technically correct, but in real life you won't have any problems with most any other set/combo of charger/cord.

The dirty little secret in that industry is that it gets "theoretical" past a certain threshold.

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
If your USB cable is damaged just buy a replacement. Just make sure to get a 'micro' connector not a 'mini' connector cable. Cables should be available in the US at Best Buy, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc. You could also get the POGO cable and not worry about damaged cable connectors.

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
sad thing is..there is no radioshack here in the Philippines..

by the way whats the difference with the micro connector and mini connector cable?

I tried using Samsung NOTE charger on my Nexus 10...it was okay ...i just hope nothing internal was damaged it the fall or the usb port per se

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Micro and mini are two completely different shapes :)

Those ports are designed for some huge number of physical plug/unplugs - if any thing you may have just shaved a little off its lifetime - now 15 years instead of 20

sad thing is..there is no radioshack here in the Philippines..

by the way whats the difference with the micro connector and mini connector cable?

I tried using Samsung NOTE charger on my Nexus 10...it was okay ...i just hope nothing internal was damaged it the fall or the usb port per se

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
If your USB cable is damaged just buy a replacement. Just make sure to get a 'micro' connector not a 'mini' connector cable. Cables should be available in the US at Best Buy, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc. You could also get the POGO cable and not worry about damaged cable connectors.

I got a pogo cable and it works just fine. Now I don't have to be concerned about the usb port. I got mine frorm amazon but I think it comes from Korea so it takes awhile to get to the U.S. The variance in cable voltages is really remarkable, too. They can range from 5.0 to 6.5 and more. From the outside they may look the same, but are not. If you are not a techie (I'M not), try and stick with the stock specs. You can usually find the specs in the manual which you can read online or download.