1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Video chat issues with N10

Anyone else having video chat issues with the N10? Audio, both sending and receiving, gets choppy and all out of whack. This is my second N10 and I don't remember the first one doing it. I'm using Tango as my video chat app.

Default Re: Video chat issues with N10

in General Video chat is pretty dependant on the App. You can be fine on Google hangout and crap on skype etc. So make sure you are comparing Apples to Apples and get your responses from people using Tango.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

Google hangouts for me have been horrible. Part of it could be due to performance on the other end, but I'm beginning to think otherwise. A few weeks ago, I tried to enter a hangout with about 9 others on my N10, but it was unbearable. Impossible to understand what everybody else was saying and video was choppy. So I turned off the tablet, fired up my 5 year old laptop with the webcam, and the hangout was just fine. Now, I don't know for sure that the issue is with the hardware - any piece of hardware is only as good as the software inside it - but you'd think Google would make one of their flagship apps work well with one of their flagship devices...

Google hangouts work fine for me on my Nexus 10.

ROM
    Stock

I use Google Hangouts 4 - 5 times per week with multiple people all over the globe. As long as I have a decent connection, it works very well on my N10 & my Droid4. I use LTE tethering from my N10 to the D4 quite often too, no issues. I suspect Tango may be the issue.
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

For you guys who have had no issues with Hangouts, what kind of internet speeds do you get? And have you had to do anything to optimize the experience, or has it just worked for you out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    For you guys who have had no issues with Hangouts, what kind of internet speeds do you get? And have you had to do anything to optimize the experience, or has it just worked for you out of the box?
    For me it worked right away. This was before our Internet got upgraded.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    I have 20 meg DSL at home. We typically have at least three or four people using the network in the house while I'm video chatting as we have three teens and they have friends over all the time. I always do my Hangouts on wireless as I need to find a quiet spot! I typically get around 13 to 15 down & up on my LTE when chatting on my phone or tethering my N10 to it. Everything just worked right away for me, I've been using hangout for chats ever since it was available pretty much. The other folks I chat with on hangouts never seem to have any problems or issues either.
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

To my original post - I figured out the issue with video chatting on my tablet.

Turns out it was the protective case I had on the tablet. I was using the Poetic Revolution (ruggedized) case - and as soon as I took it off, the video chat audio started working like it should. I suspect the case was either compressing the tablet too much in the mic/speaker area (resulting in the choppy input and output) or otherwise blocking/deflecting the sound in the mic/speaker region. Maybe it's an issue with the tablet - loose connection inside - but in any case it's working fine without the case.

I'm a little disappointed in Poetic - I've not gotten anything but a "we received your email" response since I inquired about this issue. Definitely not the same level of customer service you'd get from Otterbox, but sadly the don't make a case for the N10.

Quote Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
    To my original post - I figured out the issue with video chatting on my tablet.

Turns out it was the protective case I had on the tablet. I was using the Poetic Revolution (ruggedized) case - and as soon as I took it off, the video chat audio started working like it should. I suspect the case was either compressing the tablet too much in the mic/speaker area (resulting in the choppy input and output) or otherwise blocking/deflecting the sound in the mic/speaker region. Maybe it's an issue with the tablet - loose connection inside - but in any case it's working fine without the case.

I'm a little disappointed in Poetic - I've not gotten anything but a "we received your email" response since I inquired about this issue. Definitely not the same level of customer service you'd get from Otterbox, but sadly the don't make a case for the N10.
    This is interesting information. I wonder what other problems might be the result of poorly designed cases.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Im actually more concerned it is the tablet itself and not the case. But so far its been working well 'naked'.

Sent from my mobile device.