accessing external drives

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you need something called a USB OTG cable which will allow you to hook up external USB devices such as flash drives, hard drives, mice / keyboards, etc...

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you need something called a USB OTG cable which will allow you to hook up external USB devices such as flash drives, hard drives, mice / keyboards, etc...

You also need to either root your device or install something like Nexus Media Importer (from the Play store) which will enable the USB port for reading/writing.

Also, you can't necessarily read external drives which pull too much power - like USB powered hard disks. But it will do USB flash devices quite nicely.

Alan

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You also need to either root your device or install something like Nexus Media Importer (from the Play store) which will enable the USB port for reading/writing.

Also, you can't necessarily read external drives which pull too much power - like USB powered hard disks. But it will do USB flash devices quite nicely.

Alan

A 2 tb usb 3.0 with external power cord works fine using ?Stickmount".

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

mothershipload

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I've found the Nexus can't supply enough power to the drive, so I ended up buying a USB Y Cable to supply power and it works fine. I installed the Nexus Media Importer app.

Where do you plug the "Y" end of this cable into? The single end goes into the external hard drive. The Nexus only has 1 micro-USB slot, right?
Thanks,

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Where do you plug the "Y" end of this cable into? The single end goes into the external hard drive. The Nexus only has 1 micro-USB slot, right?
Thanks,

On mine there is a red USB head that goes into the power supply, or at least this is what I assume. I just plug the red end into my Nexus plug and nothing has blown up yet. There are two black ends, one connects to the Drive, the other to the OTG Adapter for the Nexus. Sometimes I get fancy and throw in a USB extension cable in the mix as well.