Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TJH132
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    I've had my Nexus 10 since it first came out. It's been great with no problems. But suddenly about a week ago everything has gotten slow. Hitting the home button is a 1-2 second delay. Swiping the home screen has a 1/2 second delay and is jittery. Loading web pages and Chrome in general is especially slow.

    I thought it could be my live wallpaper, so I removed it, but still slow. Also restored the default launcher, but still slow. Looked at the running apps and the memory and storage available. Everything looked fine. Rebooted, but still the same.

    My only next idea is to do a restore to factory settings, but I'm really hoping to avoid that if possible. Any ideas or suggestions?

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,113 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,553 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
    I've had my Nexus 10 since it first came out. It's been great with no problems. But suddenly about a week ago everything has gotten slow. Hitting the home button is a 1-2 second delay. Swiping the home screen has a 1/2 second delay and is jittery. Loading web pages and Chrome in general is especially slow.

    I thought it could be my live wallpaper, so I removed it, but still slow. Also restored the default launcher, but still slow. Looked at the running apps and the memory and storage available. Everything looked fine. Rebooted, but still the same.

    My only next idea is to do a restore to factory settings, but I'm really hoping to avoid that if possible. Any ideas or suggestions?

    Thanks
    Try rebooting into recovery and wiping the phones cache. A factory reset is going to do the same thing, but just wiping cache doesn't erase your apps like resetting does.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Wiping the cache did it and I was just about to post back when you wrote this. I didn't need to reboot or anything though. Thanks for your help
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
    Wiping the cache did it and I was just about to post back when you wrote this. I didn't need to reboot or anything though. Thanks for your help
    What app did you use? All of my Nexus devices once upgraded to 4.2.2 have been sluggish. I was considering a factory reset but didn't want to go through with the hassle of it all.

    How do you boot into recovery?

    TJH

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Yeah, I think mine was related to the update as well. All is better now. Rebooting into recovery I think only applies to people that have rooted and have a custom rom (but I could be wrong). Again, I didn't have to do it anyway. You don't need an app either. It's built into the OS. Go to Settings->Storage->Cached Data. Click on Cached Data and it will ask you if you want to clear it. If you have it set up for multi-user, log into each user's desktop and do it on each one.
    Thanked by 2:
    crxssiTJH132 
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Cache cleared! Thanks for the tip. Running smoother? Jury's still out.

    TJH

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Luke Rollason likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Actually, I'm starting to reverse position. Went to use it today and it was slow again. I cleared the cache and it got a little better, but something's up. Might need a factory reset.
  8. #8  
    tofo17's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
    Actually, I'm starting to reverse position. Went to use it today and it was slow again. I cleared the cache and it got a little better, but something's up. Might need a factory reset.
    Mine got slow too so I installed Lagfix as I think there is a TRIM issue. This does the trick for me, I run it every couple of weeks.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:
    cintra 
  9. #9  

    Default

    My N10 is unrooted so LagFix is out. Clearing the cache seemed to make some improvements, but I'm beginning to think the Exynos chip set isn't quite powerful enough to push around all those pixels. I did the clear cache trick on my N7 and it seems smoother than before.

    Still, Google needs to redouble its Project Butter efforts for forthcoming Android updates.

    TJH

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    The exynos 5 in the n10 is the fastest and best on the market next of course to the exynos 5 octa in the international s4 do a hard reset and your problems will be solved...

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by slinkies View Post
    The exynos 5 in the n10 is the fastest and best on the market next of course to the exynos 5 octa in the international s4 do a hard reset and your problems will be solved...

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Unlikely. Even Jerry's initial review of the N10 indicated the resolution was too much for the processor. The Tegra 3 N7, at a lower resolution, is much smoother.

    TJH

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  12. #12  

    Default

    Mine had slowed down as well, but then I uninstalled an app (ClipPick) and it returned to its speedy self. So, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a misbehaving app.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Hi all,

    For the past week, my Nexus 10 has become annoyingly unresponsive and slow. Prior to this, it has been very fast and buttery smooth*. Prior to the slowdown, I had disabled maps, currents, music, or any other app that refuses to stop running after use, or had terrible performance. I use dolphin beta rather than chrome, because of the extreme difference in responsiveness and smoothness. But around a week ago, my unit had become extremely slow, often pausing for long periods during interaction with apps, taking 10-20 seconds to open apps, the launcher, or the app-switch screen. This was not-normal performance.

    I tried the 'clear cache' method via recovery mode, and it seems to have worked, though I haven't used it long enough to determine if the problems have completely gone away. I have included a link to the instructions below, for anyone that is interested in doing this. As I understand it, it is quite safe to do:


    * I despise the spreading of misinformation based on ideas that sound plausible. The Nexus 10 CPU and GPU are certainly strong enough to provide smooth 60fps animations at its native resolution and over the entire screen. I have personally experienced it daily in apps, with games, and demos with fps counters. Anyone asserting that it is not capable of this simply doesn't know what he/she is talking about, and should be questioned as a credible source of information. Period.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Lumly View Post
    * I despise the spreading of misinformation based on ideas that sound plausible. The Nexus 10 CPU and GPU are certainly strong enough to provide smooth 60fps animations at its native resolution and over the entire screen. I have personally experienced it daily in apps, with games, and demos with fps counters. Anyone asserting that it is not capable of this simply doesn't know what he/she is talking about, and should be questioned as a credible source of information. Period.
    Sure , a well-programmed app can overcome processor limitations. I had a 7Mhz Commodore Amiga 500 that could do near-video quality animations at 30 fps. The demo scene was even more spectacular! But the lag I (and many others) am experiencing seem to come from a combination of a failure of Project Butter on 4.2 and the high resolution of the N10. The unlock screen delay, the rotation lag and the home screen stutters are not imagined. The lower resolution N7 if far more fluid in this regard.

    My final fix was to buy Nova Launcher and replace the stock launcher with something as about as stock-looking as possible, but many times smoother.

    I never intended to spread "misinformation" about the Exynos processor. Since you seem well-informed on processor specs and fps, maybe you can shed some light on our sluggish N10s.

    TJH

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  15. #15  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    This is an old thread but damn if mine didn't start doing the same thing. It seemed to get progressively worse over a week (maybe longer) to the point the machine is almost unusable. It would keep pausing or freezing for a half second or more every several seconds, over and over again. Rebooting doesn't help. In fact, even rebooting is slow now- taking 1.5 minutes or longer to boot and another 30 seconds before I can even do anything. Often button presses are totally ignored. Going home sometimes shows me no icons at all for 10 seconds or more. Doing just about anything is painful. I tried uninstalling recent apps, disabling things. I even rapidly started force killing apps and services just to see if I could get it back to normal with no results.

    Then I cleared the data cache. BAM, it was instantly back to normal. Have been using it about 10 minutes now and it feels like it used to again. Have no idea how long it will last, though. Will followup with more info later if it changes.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    I've started experiencing similar problems over the past week. Just went on vacation and downloaded 3 movies to watch, which brought my internal storage down to about 5gb. That's when I first started noticing the lag. Button presses would take at least 3 seconds before anything happened.

    I removed the movies from my hard drive and cleared the data cache, freeing up storage to about 18 GB. Performance seemed to go back to normal for a little bit, but it's now back to being really laggy.

    Has anybody figured out the root cause of this? Seems to be an issue that's growing.

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    I removed the movies from my hard drive and cleared the data cache, freeing up storage to about 18 GB. Performance seemed to go back to normal for a little bit, but it's now back to being really laggy.
    Did you wipe the cache partition? Mine getting slow has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of free storage.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Did you wipe the cache partition? Mine getting slow has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of free storage.
    Don't think so. How do you do that? The cache that I cleared was under Settings > Storage > Cached data.
  19. #19  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    Don't think so. How do you do that? The cache that I cleared was under Settings > Storage > Cached data.
    how to clear Nexus 10 cache?
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    At work now but will give that a shot once I get home. Thanks for the info.
  21. #21  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by flick0416 View Post
    At work now but will give that a shot once I get home. Thanks for the info.
    I hope it helps you. I have had to do the procedure twice now to fix severe slowdowns and freezing issues. Thankfully it is not that difficult and doesn't take more than 5 or 10 min or so. I keep hoping whatever the root cause of the issue is will be fixed with an update... I don't think it is a hardware issue.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  22. #22  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,556 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 10 Suddenly Slow

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I hope it helps you. I have had to do the procedure twice now to fix severe slowdowns and freezing issues.
    I just had to do it again yesterday. So annoying.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 10 - Youtube slow
    By homestyal in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  2. Nexus 7 vs the Nexus 10 - Is the 7 too small?
    By TerryMasters in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
  3. Infinity TF700 or (Rumored) Nexus 10?
    By jazzbassist1 in forum ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 700
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 02:43 AM
  4. My New Droid X Is Suddenly Slow
    By Knowledge Kick in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions