Why is my N10 charge so slow?

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So I recently got a Nexus 10 this Thursday as a early birthday gift, but recently since I've had it I noticed something. It charges horribly slow. I mean I can plug it in say 1pm at 20% and by 6pm it will probably be 72%. Any help? Is this normal? I have not let it drain all the way yet.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes, well for the first quick charge overnight, no. But since then I've used the factory cable and a car charger plug (Didnt really work), then factory cable and plug after that. Still getting slow results.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
All the reviews I have read state 5 - 6 hours for a full charge. Your experience seems to back that up.

A car charger is going to be really slow unless it is rated at 2 amps or better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
yea, one thing you have to understand is that the battery capacity of the N10 is going to be about 5x the battery capacity of a phone. It just takes longer to charge that much battery. the iPad 3 and 4 are also known to take as much as 8 hours to fully charge. The batteries are just that large. They have to be to power such a high resolution screen.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of charging a gigantic battery via USB. I'm forced to charge over night if not and it dies then its done until the next day.

It can drain the battery faster then it can charge depending on what you are doing.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel lucky then, my ASUS TF300T tablet only takes 2.5 Hours, and another 30-45 minutes if charging the dock at the same time. :)

The output of the charger is:

5V @ 2A
Or
15V @ 1.2A

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I feel lucky then, my ASUS TF300T tablet only takes 2.5 Hours, and another 30-45 minutes if charging the dock at the same time. :)

The output of the charger is:

5V @ 2A
Or
15V @ 1.2A

From what I can gather about the TF300T, the battery on that is quite a bit lower capacity than the battery on the Nexus 10 because it only has a 1280x800 display, that's why it charges in a half decent amount of time.

Again, these high resolution displays on tablets require so much more power. Again back to the iPad comparison just becuase that one is the easiest/best comparison. when going from the iPad 2's 1024x758 display to the iPad 3's retina display, Apple made the battery almost exactly twice as large, just to maintain the same run time on the battery. That's why there is no iPad mini with that high resolution display, and also why we don't (yet) have a 7" android tablet with a super high resolution.

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So I recently got a Nexus 10 this Thursday as a early birthday gift, but recently since I've had it I noticed something. It charges horribly slow. I mean I can plug it in say 1pm at 20% and by 6pm it will probably be 72%. Any help? Is this normal? I have not let it drain all the way yet.

I've noticed that my Nexus 10 won't charge completely with the screen on. I'd make sure you turn it off when charging, I've just got into the habit of charging mine nightly.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
From what I can gather about the TF300T, the battery on that is quite a bit lower capacity than the battery on the Nexus 10 because it only has a 1280x800 display, that's why it charges in a half decent amount of time.

Again, these high resolution displays on tablets require so much more power. Again back to the iPad comparison just becuase that one is the easiest/best comparison. when going from the iPad 2's 1024x758 display to the iPad 3's retina display, Apple made the battery almost exactly twice as large, just to maintain the same run time on the battery. That's why there is no iPad mini with that high resolution display, and also why we don't (yet) have a 7" android tablet with a super high resolution.

You also have to keep in mind the charger output. But you're also right.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

The included USB 3 charger included with the Transformer can detect the tablet is connected and actually charges using the higher 15volt, plug your nexus into it and its the standard 5volt.

However the Nexus 10 battery is a lot larger. Most of it used to power the screen unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the world of charging a gigantic battery via USB. I'm forced to charge over night if not and it dies then its done until the next day.

It can drain the battery faster then it can charge depending on what you are doing.

Not enough power to charge a tablet from a computer under USB specs. It will slow down discharge. The type of usb cable that is 'charge only' (data pins shorted) might help . I have 2 amp wall chargers for mine. The pogo cable is about 10% faster too.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Not enough power to charge a tablet from a computer under USB specs. It will slow down discharge. The type of usb cable that is 'charge only' (data pins shorted) might help . I have 2 amp wall chargers for mine. The pogo cable is about 10% faster too.

I can drain it faster using my POGO charger with the OEM 2 amp charger streaming Netflix + hdmi out.

It will hang on at 1% for quite a while but eventually it dies.

Selim Krdy

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Got original cable and adapter here. But it takes 10 hours on average to fully charge it. This is weird .

Posted via the Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Got original cable and adapter here. But it takes 10 hours on average to fully charge it. This is weird .

Your cable may be bad. It should take only about 6 hours (if I remember correctly) from fully drained. I noticed mine started taking a lot longer and replaced the cable with another OEM one I bought on Amazon and it went right back to charging fast again. Later, I got a USB power meter and found that the old original cable somehow went bad- it would consistently charge at a much lower power rate than it used to (or compared to the new cable). I finally threw it away.

Then I bought a POGO cable and that sucker charges even faster than any usb cable.

Side note: remember, finding a [working/correct] replacement battery for this tablet is a major problem... it is best to use the tablet on wall power when necessary and not let the battery ever get below 20% or so when you can avoid it.

CoooolRaoul

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
This (slow charging) issue just started for me too since latest (5.1.1) update. Charging time was OK before.
Now a full night plugged gave only about 50% charge.
Tried different cables and AC adapters without any difference.
In last resort I've made a full wipe and flashed factory image without any improvement
**EDIT**
Just ordered a POGO cable, hoping improvement.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze