Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CynicX
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    TechTinker's Avatar

    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    So I recently got a Nexus 10 this Thursday as a early birthday gift, but recently since I've had it I noticed something. It charges horribly slow. I mean I can plug it in say 1pm at 20% and by 6pm it will probably be 72%. Any help? Is this normal? I have not let it drain all the way yet.
  2. #2  
    japhule's Avatar

    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Are you using the charger that came with your Nexus 10?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    TechTinker's Avatar

    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Yes, well for the first quick charge overnight, no. But since then I've used the factory cable and a car charger plug (Didnt really work), then factory cable and plug after that. Still getting slow results.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    All the reviews I have read state 5 - 6 hours for a full charge. Your experience seems to back that up.

    A car charger is going to be really slow unless it is rated at 2 amps or better.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    yea, one thing you have to understand is that the battery capacity of the N10 is going to be about 5x the battery capacity of a phone. It just takes longer to charge that much battery. the iPad 3 and 4 are also known to take as much as 8 hours to fully charge. The batteries are just that large. They have to be to power such a high resolution screen.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Welcome to the world of charging a gigantic battery via USB. I'm forced to charge over night if not and it dies then its done until the next day.

    It can drain the battery faster then it can charge depending on what you are doing.
  7. #7  
    OperationA7X's Avatar

    Posts
    1,434 Posts
    ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    I feel lucky then, my ASUS TF300T tablet only takes 2.5 Hours, and another 30-45 minutes if charging the dock at the same time.

    The output of the charger is:

    5V @ 2A
    Or
    15V @ 1.2A

    Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by OperationA7X View Post
    I feel lucky then, my ASUS TF300T tablet only takes 2.5 Hours, and another 30-45 minutes if charging the dock at the same time.

    The output of the charger is:

    5V @ 2A
    Or
    15V @ 1.2A

    Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    From what I can gather about the TF300T, the battery on that is quite a bit lower capacity than the battery on the Nexus 10 because it only has a 1280x800 display, that's why it charges in a half decent amount of time.

    Again, these high resolution displays on tablets require so much more power. Again back to the iPad comparison just becuase that one is the easiest/best comparison. when going from the iPad 2's 1024x758 display to the iPad 3's retina display, Apple made the battery almost exactly twice as large, just to maintain the same run time on the battery. That's why there is no iPad mini with that high resolution display, and also why we don't (yet) have a 7" android tablet with a super high resolution.
  9. #9  
    KJ
    KJ is offline
    KJ's Avatar

    Posts
    147 Posts

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by TechTinker View Post
    So I recently got a Nexus 10 this Thursday as a early birthday gift, but recently since I've had it I noticed something. It charges horribly slow. I mean I can plug it in say 1pm at 20% and by 6pm it will probably be 72%. Any help? Is this normal? I have not let it drain all the way yet.
    I've noticed that my Nexus 10 won't charge completely with the screen on. I'd make sure you turn it off when charging, I've just got into the habit of charging mine nightly.
  10. #10  
    OperationA7X's Avatar

    Posts
    1,434 Posts
    ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    From what I can gather about the TF300T, the battery on that is quite a bit lower capacity than the battery on the Nexus 10 because it only has a 1280x800 display, that's why it charges in a half decent amount of time.

    Again, these high resolution displays on tablets require so much more power. Again back to the iPad comparison just becuase that one is the easiest/best comparison. when going from the iPad 2's 1024x758 display to the iPad 3's retina display, Apple made the battery almost exactly twice as large, just to maintain the same run time on the battery. That's why there is no iPad mini with that high resolution display, and also why we don't (yet) have a 7" android tablet with a super high resolution.
    You also have to keep in mind the charger output. But you're also right.

    Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    This is one of the few times I miss my Xoom's "proprietary charger" that could charge it at almost 1% per minute!!!!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by OperationA7X View Post
    You also have to keep in mind the charger output. But you're also right.

    Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Naturally yes, but I'm assuming 2.1A, which is what most tablet chargers run on.
  13. #13  
    wmurch3's Avatar

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Doesn't the pogo charger charge it a lot faster?

    Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums
  14. #14  
    OperationA7X's Avatar

    Posts
    1,434 Posts
    ROM
    BoRKeD/1.2 GHz stock

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Naturally yes, but I'm assuming 2.1A, which is what most tablet chargers run on.
    Mine runs on 2A flat out according to the plug, not 2.1.

    Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums
    Sent from my HTC DROID Vivid Ultra BoRKeD using Android Central Forums.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    From what I can gather about the TF300T, the battery on that is quite a bit lower capacity than the battery on the Nexus 10 because it only has a 1280x800 display, that's why it charges in a half decent amount of time.

    Again, these high resolution displays on tablets require so much more power. Again back to the iPad comparison just becuase that one is the easiest/best comparison. when going from the iPad 2's 1024x758 display to the iPad 3's retina display, Apple made the battery almost exactly twice as large, just to maintain the same run time on the battery. That's why there is no iPad mini with that high resolution display, and also why we don't (yet) have a 7" android tablet with a super high resolution.
    The included USB 3 charger included with the Transformer can detect the tablet is connected and actually charges using the higher 15volt, plug your nexus into it and its the standard 5volt.

    However the Nexus 10 battery is a lot larger. Most of it used to power the screen unfortunately.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    OperationA7X likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by CynicX View Post
    Welcome to the world of charging a gigantic battery via USB. I'm forced to charge over night if not and it dies then its done until the next day.

    It can drain the battery faster then it can charge depending on what you are doing.
    Not enough power to charge a tablet from a computer under USB specs. It will slow down discharge. The type of usb cable that is 'charge only' (data pins shorted) might help . I have 2 amp wall chargers for mine. The pogo cable is about 10% faster too.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Why is my N10 charge so slow?

    Quote Originally Posted by PlanetPluto7 View Post
    Not enough power to charge a tablet from a computer under USB specs. It will slow down discharge. The type of usb cable that is 'charge only' (data pins shorted) might help . I have 2 amp wall chargers for mine. The pogo cable is about 10% faster too.

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    I can drain it faster using my POGO charger with the OEM 2 amp charger streaming Netflix + hdmi out.

    It will hang on at 1% for quite a while but eventually it dies.

Similar Threads

  1. Why is my battery draining so quickly?
    By RkoViper81 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 09-16-2014, 03:19 AM
  2. Why is my S3 getting so hot?
    By marie727 in forum AT&T Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 12:53 AM
  3. Why is my Galaxy Nexus so much faster than my GF's GS3?
    By svenEDGE in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM
  4. Why is my mA usage so high on 4G?
    By tcapote in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 01:55 PM
  5. Why is my benchmark score so low?
    By iastonish in forum ViewSonic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions