All new to me

mycher

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, its been interesting reading previous forum questions, so now as a newbie its my turn. As the owner of a 2 day old Google Nexus 10, I have somehow managed to achieve
some of the things I purchased this for...but I still need to be able to transfer pictures taken with my camera directly to the tablet. I rang Nikon and they say that have no software
but I did notice a post regarding a special cable. Upon buying this cable do I still need some type of software on the tablet to store the pics in and if so any suggestions? I am
totally a computer hopeless, 'as long as it works when I turn it on, Im happy' type of person...:-\

r6unlimited

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I am new to my Nexus 10 as well but from what I have read there is a app in the Google Play Store called Nexus Media Importer. It allows you to import or stream music, video, photos and documents from a usb flash drive or card reader. And also allows for a portable media option. You will need a OTG cable, also known as micro usb to usb cable for this.

I also believe you can transfer between Nexus and PC.

Like I said, this is all new to me as well. I'm just passing along info that may be helpful to you.

Edit: I just purchased an OTG cable on Amazon.com for like $3 shipped.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
With some cameras it is possible with a standard Micro USB cable and the camera. But the correct usb setting must be selected.

Settings>storage> menu [the 3 dots in the right cornor]> USB> you now have 2 possible options. Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP). Try them both to see if either will work with you.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, its been interesting reading previous forum questions, so now as a newbie its my turn. As the owner of a 2 day old Google Nexus 10, I have somehow managed to achieve
some of the things I purchased this for...but I still need to be able to transfer pictures taken with my camera directly to the tablet. I rang Nikon and they say that have no software
but I did notice a post regarding a special cable. Upon buying this cable do I still need some type of software on the tablet to store the pics in and if so any suggestions? I am
totally a computer hopeless, 'as long as it works when I turn it on, Im happy' type of person...:-\

further to my post have found a app. Nexus Photo viewer...any comments please.??

The issue is that USB connection are not "bi-directional", i.e. there is a "device" on one end of the connection, and a "host" on the other (the ends of the cables are actually different for each type). Both your camera and the N10 are setup by default to be "device", whereas a computer will always be a "host". What you have to is allow your N10 to recognize the USB connection as a host, rather than a device. This is not actually something I've done with mine, so I can't go into too much detail, but there are plenty of posts on here about getting to work.

Essentially what you need are the "USB OTG" cable, as well as app to support the OTG connection, such as Nexus Media Importer

With some cameras it is possible with a standard Micro USB cable and the camera. But the correct usb setting must be selected.

Settings>storage> menu [the 3 dots in the right cornor]> USB> you now have 2 possible options. Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP). Try them both to see if either will work with you.

I'm not actually sure this would work...MTP or PTP are actually USB "device" mode settings (for use when connecting the tablet to a PC, for example), but since the N10 needs to be a USB "host" to read the files from the camera, I'm not sure the OP would have much luck wit these...although I suppose it certainly wouldn't hurt to try...

Consider a dropbox account. There are other services but dropbox is the one I use and find it convenient.

Dropbox works fine, but of course the OP would still need a way to transfer the file to Dropbox...and he/she wants to be able to do a direct transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol