Best way to charge a Nexus 10

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying.
So the constant charging and discharging done while using the tablet while charging won't damage the battery, right?
Correct. Also, with the newer batteries, keeping it plugged in even when at 100% is fine.

Is it possible for the discharging to be faster than the charging (it happened with my old tablet but I thought it was a hardware error)?
Yes; some activities (like turn-by-turn navigation) are so battery intensive that your device can lose battery while charging. But this shouldn't happen with everyday light use.

And is there a limit to how many hours I use it (I've stopped using my PC since I got my tablet)?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I don't think so. I've heard that very extensive use can damage the battery but I think this means something like several hours of continuous usage.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

AdmnUnpwnd

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so. I've heard that very extensive use can damage the battery but I think this means something like several hours of continuous usage.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for replying.
I use it a lot. Maybe even 10 hours a day. I watch anime, movies, music, internet, etc.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for replying.
I use it a lot. Maybe even 10 hours a day. I watch anime, movies, music, internet, etc.

10 hrs/day is a lot. I will be interested to hear how your system fairs under that much time doing some pretty power hungry tasks.

AdmnUnpwnd

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
10 hrs/day is a lot. I will be interested to hear how your system fairs under that much time doing some pretty power hungry tasks.

Thanks for replying.
My PC has a virus so I migrated to my tablet.
Yesterday I has 13 something hours and it never got hot at all. Had to charge it though.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This past week I was on vacation and forgot to pack by N10 charger, but fortunately I had my old HTC Thunderbolt charger, so I was able to use that. What surprised me is that my N10 seemed to actually charge noticably faster using the old HTC charer (1A/5V) than it ever does using the charger that came with it (2A/5V). I'm not sure why, but considering I've always felt my N10 charged too slowly, I'm begining to wonder if the problem isn't with the stock charger, that may not be pumping out as much juice as advertised...now that I'm home I'm going to test them both out and track the charging rates with Battery Monitor.

To answer the OP, I tend to follow this logic, and never had any problems:
Just use it. When the battery gets low, charge it. If you need it charged fully at the beginning of the day then charge it overnight.

With today's newer batteries, general consenus seems to be that allowing your device to completely discharge isn't very good for it, but it really shouldn't matter what percentage you're at when you plug it in (no "memory" effects) nor should it matter if you leave it plugged in past a full charge (the kernel should stop drawing power from the charger when the battery is charged, and then continue to cycle until unplugged). Having said that however, I certainly wouldn't leave it plugged in for extended periods of time (i.e. over 24 hours)

Last edited:

AdmnUnpwnd

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This past week I was on vacation and forgot to pack by N10 charger, but fortunately I had my old HTC Thunderbolt, so I was able to use that. What surprised me is that my N10 seemed to actually charge noticably faster using the old HTC charer (1A/5V) than it ever does using the charger that came with it (2A/5V). I'm not sure why, but considering I've always felt my N10 charged too slowly, I'm begining to wonder if the problem isn't with the stock charger, that may not be pumping out as much juice as advertised...now that I'm home I'm going to test them both out and track the charging rates with Battery Monitor.

To answer the OP, I tend to follow this logic, and never had any problems:

With today's newer batteries, general consenus seems to be that allowing your device to completely discharge isn't very good for it, but it really shouldn't matter what percentage you're at when you plug it in (no "memory" effects) nor should it matter if you leave it plugged in past a full charge (the kernel should stop drawing power from the charger when the battery is charged, and then continue to cycle until unplugged). Having said that however, I certainly wouldn't leave it plugged in for extended periods of time (i.e. over 24 hours)

Thanks for replying.
Overcharging will lead to "Deep Sleep" as said by Google. If, after that, it doesn't voltmeter then it's broken as said by a Google employee. Other Google employees had different answers. This is why I don't know what to do anymore.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Overcharging will lead to "Deep Sleep" as said by Google. If, after that, it doesn't voltmeter then it's broken as said by a Google employee. Other Google employees had different answers. This is why I don't know what to do anymore.

This is why companies create scripts and flow charts for their CSRs. Just reading this thread you can see there is a lot of outdated and misinformation rolling around the interwebs. A CSR can be more helpful when going off script but they can also create further confusion when they share unconfimed data.

"Deep Sleep" hardly sounds like a technical term. if sounds more like Call center slang the CSR's use to refer to an issue. I'd ask to speek to a supervisor and get clarification on "Deep Sleep"

AdmnUnpwnd

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This is why companies create scripts and flow charts for their CSRs. Just reading this thread you can see there is a lot of outdated and misinformation rolling around the interwebs. A CSR can be more helpful when going off script but they can also create further confusion when they share unconfimed data.

"Deep Sleep" hardly sounds like a technical term. if sounds more like Call center slang the CSR's use to refer to an issue. I'd ask to speek to a supervisor and get clarification on "Deep Sleep"

Thanks for replying.
What is a CSR? And how do I contact a supervisor? Google employees don't connect customers to other departments even when asked to by the customer unless it's too technical for them to answer. And even when they do, the customer service, at least for the issues related to the Nexus 10, is unreliable, too vague, and differs from person to person. An employee told me that the 10 has an Asus processor, even though I questioned her if she was not mistaking it for the 7.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
CSR= Customer Service Representative. It is the industry term for the people we speak to in call centers.

Most CSRs will transfer you to a supervisor or arrange for one to call you back if you ask/insist on it.

AdmnUnpwnd

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CSR= Customer Service Representative. It is the industry term for the people we speak to in call centers.

Most CSRs will transfer you to a supervisor or arrange for one to call you back if you ask/insist on it.

Thanks for replying.
I tried, didn't work.

apalm8

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't matter how/when you charge the device. It should take a full charge then stop once full...maybe I'm wrong about that though.

AdmnUnpwnd

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't matter how/when you charge the device. It should take a full charge then stop once full...maybe I'm wrong about that though.

Thanks for replying.
That's what I heard as well but even Google CSRs had various opinions about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463